Scribblenauts Unmasked $39.99 BB/Amazon

I really like the idea of Scribblenauts, but I got bored of Unlimited and didn't finish it. I'm not sure if they've changed anything to prevent that from happening. To be honest, I'm not even sure what I would want them to change. I guess I like the idea more than the actual gameplay. 

Word of caution: it's a fun game with lots of fan service for DC Comics fans (lots of Pre-Crisis characters that you can summon), but the story mode is incredibly short. I beat it in three days. At the $29.99 that I paid for it before Black Friday, it was worth it, but I haven't played it since.

Word of caution: it's a fun game with lots of fan service for DC Comics fans (lots of Pre-Crisis characters that you can summon), but the story mode is incredibly short. I beat it in three days. At the $29.99 that I paid for it before Black Friday, it was worth it, but I haven't played it since.
Damn, you took your time with it lol.

What really pisses me off is you can't seem to replay any of the story missions once you beat them, which is completely asinine. The whole point of Scribblenauts is solving different puzzles in unique ways, and being unable to replay story missions without starting a whole new game really blows.

I really like the idea of Scribblenauts, but I got bored of Unlimited and didn't finish it. I'm not sure if they've changed anything to prevent that from happening. To be honest, I'm not even sure what I would want them to change. I guess I like the idea more than the actual gameplay.
I didn't spend much time with Unlimited but I don't think they changed much. Aside from story missions everything is randomly generated (poorly might I add, tasks like clearing a forest when you are in Atlantis are pretty ridiculous) and before you finish odds are you'll see a few repeat missions.

They added the Mxyzptlk bonuses that pop up randomly restricting what you can summon, but this feels broken as it sometimes made puzzles literally impossible to solve (I can't summon a superheroes alternate universe counterpart if I'm restricted to summoning weapons and tools!) and often prevented you from using any superhero suit (basically the equivalent of letting you play as a DC character).

And they made some very odd omissions from the game. Batman, Superman, and Blight are present from Batman Beyond and the Beyond comics (although Batman Beyond can't fly, cloak, or use any of his other abilities from the show/comics, despite the fact that other characters have those abilities), but Inque, Shriek, Spellbinder, the JLU Beyond, ect. are all absent. The Legion of Superheroes roster is pretty spotty too. And their New 52 inclusions are very odd. Simon Baz is there, but nothing from the 3rd Army. Kyle Rayner's White Lantern form is missing altogether. I mean I get that it's unreasonable to expect characters like Relic or the 1st Lantern who were just introduced in the last year, but it seems odd that some were included when older characters weren't.

Some of the interactions are off too. There are some cool details like Batman refusing to equip a gun, but other stuff is way off. Aside from Larfleeze and the Black Lanterns, any Lantern you summon basically plays like a reskinned Green Lantern, so don't expect to use Blue Lanterns to heal characters or power up Green Lanterns. And you'd think that giving a character a lantern ring would give them the powers of a Lantern, but they don't do anything.

Specifically, I remember one time I had a mission where I was supposed to help two people fall in love, but summoning a Star Sapphire did nothing (Cupid worked). I had another mission where 4 suspects were standing around a dead body and Detective Chimp wanted me to arrest the culprit, but using the Lasso of Truth or summoning a telepath like Martian Manhunter did nothing, with the only solution I could find being using a time machine to go back and witness the crime.

And like most DC games, Batman feels overused. You'll visit the Batcave, Gotham City, Wayne Manor, and Arkham Asylum, but never once do you go to the Rock of Eternity, Apokolips, Kahndaq, Krypton, Thanagar, ect.

Finally, on WiiU the hero creator was DoA, I bought the game months after it's launch yet I was still the first one to upload a bunch of stuff, including human versions of the various Lanterns. Search anything that doesn't have "Super" or "Bat" in the title and you'll find very little of anything.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game and at $20 I'd say go for it, but don't go in expecting a polished experience. I mean it works as a basic Scribblenauts game, and anybody who knows nothing about comics won't notice most of these issues, but any fan of DC is going to see a ton of crap that doesn't fit well. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

Last edited:
bread's done
Back