Scurge: Hive DS Price-Drop @ Gamestop - $2.99 !!!

[quote name='StarKnightX']Excellent game , especially for that price.[/QUOTE]

+1

only if the mainstream games were at this price.

i would be as happy as a millionaire.

I have this for GBA, but never got around to playing it. The DS one is the same as the GBA one right? Thanx for the heads up OP.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I hated it, but the good parts are worth $2.99.[/QUOTE]

Last boss was the worst part of the game for me. Took a ton of tries to beat him , especially trying to do it the "real" way. Finally did it the "cheap" way and managed to beat him. Only other annoying things were having to backtrack a bunch because I was dumb and missed an obvious path or item.

[quote name='saggypockets']I have this for GBA, but never got around to playing it. The DS one is the same as the GBA one right? Thanx for the heads up OP.[/QUOTE]

The DS version puts the map and most of the other essential info on the other screen , which makes it easier to see where your doing , but if you already own the game you probably don't "need" to upgrade (but for the price it probably wouldn't hurt to upgrade).

Scurge: Hive was in my top five games for the GBA. Although I'm pretty much alone in this, I absolutely LOVED it and see it today as a tragically overlooked masterpiece. If I had to sum the game up, it would be like an isometric 2D/3D Metroid (and not just because the main character is a female bounty hunter in space) with light RPG elements. It looked fantastic, played fantastic, and was just everything I ever wanted from a GBA game.

Now, I can't say anything about the DS version, although provided that there isn't any mandatory stylus usage or unpleasant graphical alterations I'd emphatically say to go for it. In fact, I'll probably pick up a copy of the DS version just to display proudly with the rest of my DS games since all of my GBA stuff is stored away.

I loved this game but beware of the final boss. Difficulty difference between the final boss and entire game before that is bit ridiculous.

definitely gonna pick this up. at less than the price of lunch, how could this go wrong? FTW on these great DS prices...

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']Wow. That's REALLY cheap. :O

And now we discuss flipping possibilities. :3 Anyone know how much it trades into Game Crazy or other stores?[/QUOTE]

lol good luck making a profit.

Wow so cheap. Guess I'll finally have to get a copy at my local Gamestop.

Granted it will have to be complete, because even my cheap ass self won't touch a incomplete copy of any game from PS2 and onwards.

Well worth it. I've read that the GBA version actually looks a bit better, but both play pretty much the same. I bought it some time ago, and wasn't disappointed. It can be frustrating at times, but it's not impossible, and the game soars quite high most of the time.

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']Wow. That's REALLY cheap. :O

And now we discuss flipping possibilities. :3 Anyone know how much it trades into Game Crazy or other stores?[/QUOTE]

GC trade in value: 0.80
:hot:

[quote name='sdcranford']Just checked gamestop.com, shows up as $9.99 now. Was $2.99 last night.[/QUOTE]

Preowned is $2.99. New is $9.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sdcranford']Just checked gamestop.com, shows up as $9.99 now. Was $2.99 last night.[/QUOTE]

That's for a new copy. Used is still $2.99.

[quote name='sdcranford']Used didn't even show up for me.[/QUOTE]

Click the link in the OP or when you search for it on GS.com, click the red "show" backordered used products button.

I think I got this on clearance from Target a year ago for $2.50. It wasn't worth it. For the $2.50 I spent I think i'd rather have a cheeseburger.

Awesome, found one in town. Not original art or book but for $2.99 you can't go wrong. Thanks for the help with gs.com and thanks OP.

I think the main difference with the GBA version is the map on the bottom screen, which helps out a lot. Wanted to like this game, but the controls are a bit awkward, and I got really tired of having to change weapons every few steps (certain weapons will kill some monsters but strengthen others, and the different monster types are usually mixed together in the same room). Nice presentation, though, and totally worth $2.99.

[quote name='SargeSmash']Well worth it. I've read that the GBA version actually looks a bit better, but both play pretty much the same. I bought it some time ago, and wasn't disappointed. It can be frustrating at times, but it's not impossible, and the game soars quite high most of the time.[/QUOTE]

I have it on good authority from the developer themselves that there is no difference between either version (second screen map aside). The IGN article mentioning a perceived "difference" is incorrect.

I really liked Scurge: Hive and wanted the pirate game that Orbital Media was working on. I'd have preferred that the game sold when it was full-priced so that they could have hopefully completed their other games, but for less than $3, you should all buy a copy.

Definately a great purchase if you can find it. I have it on GBA, real fun game. Bit of a poor man's metroid but still enjoyable.

I thought the isometric platforming was kind of dickish. The combat was just a mindless slugfest. It's been too long for me to remember all the issues I had with the game.

But, yeah, the final, final, final boss was a big, BIG moment of severe retardation simply because it had a "rule-breaking" ish cheap move that it spammed constantly that was difficult as hell to counter.

i can see a problem with gamestop webpage

This pre-owned product is guaranteed to work and includes a box with original cover art and instruction manual.

that might fly online but instore i have seen probally at least 50 ds games with no box today alone

[quote name='slidecage']i can see a problem with gamestop webpage

This pre-owned product is guaranteed to work and includes a box with original cover art and instruction manual.

that might fly online but instore i have seen probally at least 50 ds games with no box today alone[/QUOTE]

The guarantee is Web-only.

[quote name='slidecage']
that might fly online but instore i have seen probally at least 50 ds games with no box today alone[/QUOTE]

Same here. I didn't buy it. I need the case and manual. :drool:

[quote name='Diebythesword']Same here. I didn't buy it. I need the case and manual. :drool:[/QUOTE]

The vast majority of used DS games at my Gamestop stores are cart only.

[quote name='saggypockets']I have this for GBA, but never got around to playing it. The DS one is the same as the GBA one right? Thanx for the heads up OP.[/QUOTE]

I played it through, and I honestly think $3 is worth it to upgrade to having a map on another screen. I was looking at it all the time.

[quote name='mkelehan']I played it through, and I honestly think $3 is worth it to upgrade to having a map on another screen. I was looking at it all the time.[/QUOTE]

I would agree. I bought it for GBA at release after I read IGN's review that the games were basically identical. The GBA version was $5 less, so I figured, what the heck. But yeah, I was flipping back and forth between the map and regular screen over and over, so the DS version is definitely the way to go.

Be warned that this game does get pretty tedious, especially in the second half. It's not as much as Juka and the Monophonic Menace -- which is the other Orbital game that came out at around the same time, and used the same engine -- but it is definitely not on par with the Metroid games.

But for $3 and the right set of expectations, you can't go wrong.

Got my copy today, no cover art but the game and manual are fine so I can't complain. I just can't imagine where the hell the cover art could've gone. Who tosses that but keeps the manual?

bread's done
Back