SDM: Nintendo DS Lite $99.99. Less w/ Special Offers (June 13-19)

Jbently

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Found this on another forum, but starting Saturday, Shoppers Drug Mart will be selling the DS for $99.99. Looks like it is something you can spend any accumulated Optimum points on.

edit:

Buy on June 13-14: Get 15,000 Bonus Optimum Points (Worth $25).
Buy on June 15-19: Get $20 Future Shop Cash Card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correction:
On June 13-14, the DS Lite will be $75

On June 15-19, the DS Lite will Be $99 but comes with a $20 Future Shop Cash Card.
It is a gift card but it has an expiry date...that why it is not called a Gift card.

Please change the title OP..thanks!

Hmm, curious that SDM would be giving out Future Shop Cash Cards, but $75 is definitely a hot deal. The summer has barely started and we're being barraged with hot deals left, right and centre! Thanks OP and gamer!

The FS cash card is nothing New..We've seen it twice before and thats how I got my $69 X360 Pro system at FS...it acts kinda like a coupon.

Also to clarify, you get the DS for $75 because in addition to regular points, you get a boost of 15000 points which you can redeem instantly for $25 dollars off, making the system $74.99

wow, great prices on the nintendo ds lite!!!
i wonder if Nintendo is going to faze them out this soon already... its only been a few months since the dsi release!

edit: is there a leaked flyer from SDM that someone can link me to? i dont really understand how the points add up.

Yes you will, the $75 price that gamer602 mentioned factors in the bonus Optimum points you get, you still will pay $99 up front but will get the points that are worth $25 to use for a future purchase.

so could you say it like:

$99 DSlite with $25 SDM points on june 13-14.
or
$99 DSlite with $20 Future Shop Cash Card on june 15-19.

either way you have to pay the $99 up front?

Two questions:
- Anybody knows if this also applies to Pharmaprix in Quebec province.
- Can you redeem the 25$ on the DS itself at time of purchase?

unfortunetly you cant redeem the points at time of purchase because they are applied to your account after the transaction has been completed =(

But you could use the $25 towards a game maybe? I've seen a few SDM carry nintendo ds games...

NO!
This is what you do.

Start 0 point balance

Buy DS @$99 and get 15000 points.
Redeem the points on a 2nd DS and get the 2nd DS for $75
Return the DS

End:
0 point balance.

I know this is allowed.
DS Lite

If we are going to be buying things multiple times, you can technically get the DS for $25 by taking advantage of this week's 5000 bonus points on the prepaid Vanilla Mastercard

edit: Out of pocket expenses would only be $85 rather than $200+tax with gamer602's method. ;)

[quote name='Jbently']If we are going to be buying things multiple times, you can technically get the DS for $25 by taking advantage of this week's 5000 bonus points on the prepaid Vanilla Mastercard

edit: Out of pocket expenses would only be $85 rather than $200+tax with gamer602's method. ;)[/QUOTE]

wow ive been wanting to get a ds :S hmmm how would your elaborate scheme even work out lol

[quote name='gamer602']NO!
This is what you do.
I know this is allowed.[/QUOTE]

wow I never thought of it that way... thanks gamer602!

Do you think the same method will work with the Futureshop sale?

[quote name='gamer602']yes and I know it will because thats how the pos system works[/QUOTE]

That's a fucking horrible system they got there. That would be like if when Futureshop had those free gift certifcates with purchase and they didn't require the FS giftcard back when you returned the item.

So do you not receive any points for buying the DSlite and using your points?

[quote name='pmp1986']That's a fucking horrible system they got there. That would be like if when Futureshop had those free gift certifcates with purchase and they didn't require the FS giftcard back when you returned the item.

So do you not receive any points for buying the DSlite and using your points?[/QUOTE]

Only if the leftover portion that you pay is greater than $75 dollars!

[quote name='gamer602']Only if the leftover portion that you pay is greater than $75 dollars![/QUOTE]
Oh I see so does that mean if I add a 1 dollar chocolate bar to the purchase I'd get the points?

Sorry for all the questions just not at all familar with the SDM points rules and policys

Here's my guesstimate of how cheap you can get the DS for if you don't have an Optimum card yet. You can choose to start with either $85 or $95 to get enough points for the Optimum Plus.

Step 1: Buy $85 SDM Gift Card (or $95)
Step 2: Buy $50 Vanilla Mastercard for $54.95. Use SDM Gift Card to pay.
Step 3: Buy $50 SDM Gift Card. Use Vanilla Mastercard to pay.
Step 4: Repeat Step 2 and Step 3 six more times (or eight).

At this point you will have a $50 SDM Gift Card along with your inital one with a low balance, either $.35 (or $.45).

Your Optimum point totals will be as follows:
Regular Points: 8130 (or 10310)
Bonus Points: 35000 (or 45000)
Total Points: 43130 (or 55310)

Purchase DS Lite for $99.99.
Redeem 40,000 points for $75 off your purchase.
Your total after taxes in Ontario: $112.99 - $75 = $37.99

You will also receive 240 points after the point redemption.

Final Optimum point total after redemption:
If you started with $85 GC: 43130 - 40000 + 240 = 3370 and $12.36 Shoppers GC
If you started with $95 GC: 55310 - 40000 + 5000 (Optimum+) + 240 = 20550 and $12.46 Shoppers GC

I'm ready your post and unless I don't understand correctly, you're not mentioning anything about the fact that you will have to cover up for the Vanilla Master Card by paying 6 (or 8 times) 4.95$ totalling 29.70$ or 39.60$?

And what's Optimum + ?

[quote name='ichit4k4_set0']I'm ready your post and unless I don't understand correctly, you're not mentioning anything about the fact that you will have to cover up for the Vanilla Master Card by paying 6 (or 8 times) 4.95$ totalling 29.70$ or 39.60$?

And what's Optimum + ?[/QUOTE]
Actually the fees for buying the prepaid Mastercard are covered with the initial purchase of the $85/$95 Shoppers GC. Each time you buy the prepaid Mastercard you will use the Shoppers GC you purchased at the start to pay off the fees.

Optimum Plus is what you can get by earning 10000 regular optimum points (normally by spending $1000) and gives you among other things an extra reward for redeeming Optimum points at the highest levels. So if you redeem 40000 points, you will instantly get back 5000 points (net 35000 points for a $75 reward). Redeem 75000 points and instantly get back 10000 points (net 65000 for $150 reward).

[quote name='gamer602']yes and I know it will because thats how the pos system works[/QUOTE]

lol your inbox is full so i guess i'll toss this question here for any CAG-er to help me out!

Hey there,

I read the previous post [on the first page] about how you would:

1) Purchase 1 ds to get 15K points
2) Buy a second ds and use the 15K points to save $25
3) Refund the first ds.

However, when you refund the 1st DS you bought, doesnt shoppers drug mart demand that you give back the 15K bonus points you got on that purchase? and since i dont think you get bonus points on top of redemptions, doesnt that mean your balance will be -15000 points if SDM wants them back?

[quote name='Jbently']Actually the fees for buying the prepaid Mastercard are covered with the initial purchase of the $85/$95 Shoppers GC. Each time you buy the prepaid Mastercard you will use the Shoppers GC you purchased at the start to pay off the fees.

Optimum Plus is what you can get by earning 10000 regular optimum points (normally by spending $1000) and gives you among other things an extra reward for redeeming Optimum points at the highest levels. So if you redeem 40000 points, you will instantly get back 5000 points (net 35000 points for a $75 reward). Redeem 75000 points and instantly get back 10000 points (net 65000 for $150 reward).[/QUOTE]

Well you're still wasting that money in the process to get points since you're not getting the dollar back, so shouldnt it not be added to the end cost?

yeah true the activation fees and not only that you have trapped that free cash inside certain boundaries :( isnt that almost loss cash too?

What I'll end up doing is buying with 15000 pts bonus and I think Ill subscribe as well to Mastercard Optimum for another 15000 pts, so 50$ rebate, and might cancel tge acrd afterward. Lot less complicated.

I will redeem points with toilet papers :D

[quote name='boba_fett300']Does anyone in Vancouver area knows which SDM that sells DSL?[/QUOTE]

There's one downtown, Homer and Nelson I believe. They have Wii's, DSL's, and even a Wii Fit.

I went to SDM at McCowan & Ellesmere yesterday at midnight (its open 24 hours) and there were about 10-12 people already there and the store sold out, so don't bother there.

So I decided to wake up early and go to the SDM at Markham/Sheppard this morning when they opened. Only one other person was there besides me, the csr told me they had plenty of ds lites in-stock however didn't have any in black. Seems all they had was pink, blue, and red at this location. I decided not to buy 2 and refund one just because it was really early and I was falling asleep. Guess ill spend the points on new super mario bros next time im there.

Thanks all! Back to sleep.

Picked up a DS this morning.
In case you're wondering, only Pharmaprix on Victoria Street still has some in stock for Montreal South Shore Area.

I managed to pick up the last pink one in the Millbourne location in Edmonton. The people there were nice enough to let my friend put it on hold for me until tomorrow morning. :D And then I went there this morning~

Thanks OP!

[quote name='kyle071785']will FS or BB PM this offer? I still can't decide if I should actually buy a DS though...[/QUOTE]

Yes they should. You could always hold out for a DSi but I still prefer the DSL for the time being (GBA slot, better battery life).

Unless you are sure you aren't shopping there again, it never makes sense to redeem points for only $25. They are worth much more accumulate and redeemed at higher levels. And there can be some extremely good deals there if you work the points deals correctly, eg the gift card thing last week.

Saturday will be 20X day, buy a DSi for the same $200 as everywhere else...and get 40,000 points worth up to $100 back.

they only had silver and blue left at my store.

i tried to buy a 19.99 ds game with the $25 points, but they said that would be wasting $5 of the $25. i thought the extra $5 worth of points would just stay accumulated on my optimum card, i didn't know i had to spend the whole $25 in one transaction. regardless, i bought some food with it.

[quote name='bloodwings']they only had silver and blue left at my store.

i tried to buy a 19.99 ds game with the $25 points, but they said that would be wasting $5 of the $25. i thought the extra $5 worth of points would just stay accumulated on my optimum card, i didn't know i had to spend the whole $25 in one transaction. regardless, i bought some food with it.[/QUOTE]

yeap^ the problem with redeeming a huge amount of points is that SDM requires you to have your shopping total cost a tiny bit more than the amount you're redeeming for. Which is why people end up trying to flip wiis or buy ds's to make back the money on their cards =P

Metrotown Shoppers is sold out, but I successfully PMed a blue DS Lite at the Best Buy across from Metrotown. I mentioned the 10% of the difference to the CSR and she accidentally did 10% of the PM price so I got it for $89.99, which came to just over $100 with tax. Thanks OP.

FYI, I only found this out afterwards (so I'm still cheesed), but...

You only get the bonus points / gift card if you buy "pointable" items. In other words, no phone or gift cards-- such as the $100 Virgin Mobile card I needed today.

*BUT* if you buy a Shopper's Drug Mart gift card, THAT purchase counts. You will get the points and the gift card. You can then use that gift card to buy your non-pointable item.

If you buy an SDM gift card you only get regular points. Never ever any point multiple or gift card offer. The value of regular points is verrry low, the real point to buying SDM gcs first is they count towards getting plus status

bread's done
Back