Seagate Momentus 500GB HDD for $49.99

twztid13

CAGiversary!
Feedback
337 (100%)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...148371&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-22-148-371-_-Product

5400 RPM, 8MB Cache. Not the best, but if you need a PS3 HDD upgrade, these $50 deals are the way to go. Sure, there are better ones for $50 sometimes, but if you need a replacement now, this is a good deal. It's not a noticeable difference to the normal PS3 gamer between these specs & a 7200 RPM, 64 MB Cache drive.

Sorry if this is a repost, but I did a search & only saw stuff in the Amazon WH Deals thread come up for the first several pages.

I'd recommend this one: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152291

I bought this 1TB last Black Friday for $70. No problems with it. Actual space once installed is 931gb. I think I read that you want 5400 because the 7200 produce more heat.

Just be careful with the screws that come with the sony hard drive. They are insanely soft and will strip even with a mini screw driver, but i managed to get some replacement screws from a hardware store for 25 cents each.

I can pretty much put whatever I want on it and never worry about space.

Here's a tutorial video if you had any questions: youtube.com/watch?v=NcSBjGYnPB4

Ordered. Time to buy more Singstar songs. Now I wish there was a sale on Playstation Plus. Thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='thrifty1']
Just be careful with the screws that come with the sony hard drive. They are insanely soft and will strip even with a mini screw driver, but i managed to get some replacement screws from a hardware store for 25 cents each.

I can pretty much put whatever I want on it and never worry about space.

Here's a tutorial video if you had any questions: youtube.com/watch?v=NcSBjGYnPB4[/QUOTE]

So true no one mentions how insanely soft the Sony screws are, I had to drill out one or two of them.

[quote name='cusoman']Momentus XT 500gb is a bit more expensive, but gives you more space, AND a performance increase since it is a SSD/HDD hybrid:

If you're patient you can find this for around $60-70, it's been a wonderful upgrade![/QUOTE]

I got my XT for about $50. It works well, but i'm not sure it does much better than the stock hard drive. My understanding is that GT5 is one of the few games that load times show significantly improved on a faster hard drive. There was some website that did a study of several games and found that GT5 was basically the only one that had a significant difference while many others had virtually the same load times when comparing about 4 or 5 different drives and speeds.

That being said, if you can find the XT for a similar price, I would still get it. It does seem like the XMB loads slightly faster and i'm sure there are a lot of slivers of time reduced here and there that might be worth a few dollars extra.

I got a regular Seagate Momentus 500GB like the one in the OP for my slim PS3, works great and has been very stable for about a year now. Great little drive!

I'll probably swap in a SSD with the PS4. I don't see too huge a difference in the video so im cool with what I got for the PS3.

I think I read that the PS4 won't come with an SSD so I hope they offer a bundle with a tiny hard drive like the 8gb Wii U so I can save money and swap in something better. Something to keep in mind when buying a PS4. And I hope they don't use those cheapo putty screws like they did with the PS3. Other than the screws it was hassle free.

I just got a refurb 750GB drive from NewEgg for $53 or so. It's been great. Ever since I joined PS+ I need all the space I can get. It's no faster than stock but NBD.

Also, I was able to sell the old 250GB on Amazon and make back about $30 of the expense.

bread's done
Back