Sealed PS1 games at Ebgames. (ymmw)

Poopfacedoo

CAG Veteran
I went down to my Ebgames yesterday and to my suprise they had around 30-40 new, sealed PS1 games. They where all greatest hit titles and were labelled with the used sticker so the Edge card may work with them.

As far as I know its YMMV and may or may not be at Gamestop aswell.

Mostly there were games aimed at a younger audience that came out later during the PS1's life cycle, but there where some good ones.

Picked up:
Mat Hoffman Pro BMX 1.99
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 1.99
Namco Muesuem Vol 3 4.99
Ridge Racer 1.99

YMMV on the titles as well.

all EBs in this area have stopped selling PS1 games years ago... Gamecube and OGXBOX games are already being phased out

sad

my gamestop was in the process of sending away their ps1 games last time i was there (a month or so ago). I went there looking for final fantasy 7 because their website said my GS had it in stock, but when I went there, the guy said they just shipped out all the ps1 games A - F. :cry: But lucky for me, my friennd had two copies so he gave me one for free!

the edge card will work. also, the prices on the games are probably wrong unless they've been updated very recently (the prices should be lower).

[quote name='Poopfacedoo']IMostly there were games aimed at a younger audience that came out later during the PS1's life cycle, but there where some good ones.

Picked up:
Mat Hoffman Pro BMX 1.99
Namco Muesuem Vol 3 4.99
Ridge Racer 1.99

[/quote]

Okay, so now we know the identities of 4 of the shitty games, but what are some of the so called good ones?

[quote name='karkyco']Okay, so now we know the identities of 4 of the shitty games, but what are some of the so called good ones?[/quote]

Why is it that unless an old PS1 title is an RPG it sucks in most people's eyes these days?

[quote name='paddlefoot']Why is it that unless an old PS1 title is an RPG it sucks in most people's eyes these days?[/QUOTE]

Because you can play far superior versions/sequels/genre of these games on current platforms. RPGs rely on story and battle engines to be fun, and those tend to age better than most.

[quote name='paean']Because you can play far superior versions/sequels/genre of these games on current platforms. RPGs rely on story and battle engines to be fun, and those tend to age better than most.[/quote]
book_rev_zing.gif

I was there today...didn't see any sealed games. Probably just at your local store...maybe they found a box when cleaning out the back room or something. My store did have old used PSX and N64 games buy 1 get 1 free, but nothing worth getting. When I asked them a while back if they had that sale (because others were reporting it) the manager looked at me like I was crazy. Of course, now they have a big sign on the games that the sale is going on, so everything good is gone.

THPS2 is easily where they perfected the series. I also prefer any of the arcade Ridge Racer than the newer one on PS3 or X360. The newer version might look better and have more feature, but the older version are still better gameplay wise.

[quote name='62t']THPS2 is easily where they perfected the series. I also prefer any of the arcade Ridge Racer than the newer one on PS3 or X360. The newer version might look better and have more feature, but the older version are still better gameplay wise.[/QUOTE]

I (politely) disagree. RR4 is probably the best RR on PS1, but so much of a racing game's appeal is the graphics (depicting insane speed and corner), and the later ones does it better (not to mention, Burnout series pretty much destroys any other arcade racer not named Outrun 2).

I can't speak for THP series, I don't play those games.

[quote name='paean']Because you can play far superior versions/sequels/genre of these games on current platforms. RPGs rely on story and battle engines to be fun, and those tend to age better than most.[/quote] not just RPGs. Some of the best platformers and action games are old school games.
There are tons of exceptions to the rules. I like Mario Kart 64 and Super Mario Kart better then Double Dash... I like Rainbow 6 3 as much as I do Vegas, I like Top SPin 1 better then Top Spin 2.

first post so here goes, what is ymmv! i've tried googling but it comes up as "your mileage may vary" its driving me crazy. well not really

[quote name='imtehman']first post so here goes, what is ymmv! i've tried googling but it comes up as "your mileage may vary" its driving me crazy. well not really[/QUOTE]

that is what it means

my rule for going to EB/GS nowadays to find Ps1 games is you see it you buy it. because you never know when they'll ship that out of the store to another store. i missed so many games cause i passed on it and told myself i'll get it another time. i passed on FF7 cause it has no case, parappa, also no case. and a whole lot more.

I guarantee you this is YMMV (finding ANY good PS1 games at EB/GS now). However, I must admit a dirty secret.

About a month ago, I stumbled into a random Gamestop in Houston and saw they had a couple of decent used PS1 games which were of course also Buy One, Get One. The best part is when he opened the drawer to get them out and what I saw. *FIVE* sealed Arc the Lad Collections and *FIVE* sealed Greatest Hits Final Fantasy Tactics plus a single sealed Blast Lacrosse. All stickered as used, so basically half off. Needless to say, they no longer have any of these now and actually seemed surprised I wanted to buy them! :)

[quote name='expane']all EBs in this area have stopped selling PS1 games years ago... Gamecube and OGXBOX games are already being phased out

sad[/quote]

Why would they be phasing out Gamecube? Those all work on the Wii. Have you been told this by a manager or something? I know they are doing that with XBOX but a lot of those won't work on current systems.

[quote name='secretvampire']I guarantee you this is YMMV (finding ANY good PS1 games at EB/GS now). However, I must admit a dirty secret.

About a month ago, I stumbled into a random Gamestop in Houston and saw they had a couple of decent used PS1 games which were of course also Buy One, Get One. The best part is when he opened the drawer to get them out and what I saw. *FIVE* sealed Arc the Lad Collections and *FIVE* sealed Greatest Hits Final Fantasy Tactics plus a single sealed Blast Lacrosse. All stickered as used, so basically half off. Needless to say, they no longer have any of these now and actually seemed surprised I wanted to buy them! :)[/QUOTE]

What the heck?!? I'm going to have to check mine out more carefully.

This is one of the many things I love about having true backwards compatibility :)

What the heck?!? I'm going to have to check mine out more carefully.

This is one of the many things I love about having true backwards compatibility
Trust me, don't get your hopes up. This was a complete anomaly, kind of a store in the middle of the ghetto. I've been to literally dozens of other GS/EBs in the past few months that don't have a single PS1 game even after asking.

[quote name='Poopfacedoo']I went down to my Ebgames yesterday and to my suprise they had around 30-40 new, sealed PS1 games. They where all greatest hit titles and were labelled with the used sticker so the Edge card may work with them.

As far as I know its YMMV and may or may not be at Gamestop aswell.

Mostly there were games aimed at a younger audience that came out later during the PS1's life cycle, but there where some good ones.

Picked up:
Mat Hoffman Pro BMX 1.99
Namco Muesuem Vol 3 4.99
Ridge Racer 1.99

YMMV on the titles as well.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, when it comes to new games I don't trust EB to sell them brand new (unless it's 360 with manufacturer's seal). In my experience, EB takes used games, with sticker glue still on the case and discs with smudges and scratches, seals them and sells them as new. I've bought several sealed "new" games from them I've had to return. Their excuse is that it either came from the manufacturer that way or it was a demo disc. Yeah, right! Just be wary.

In my experience, EB takes used games, with sticker glue still on the case and discs with smudges and scratches, seals them and sells them as new. I've bought several sealed "new" games from them I've had to return.
EB/GS has NO way to match the shrinkwrap found on factory sealed PS1 games. Gamecube or DS yes, PS1 no.

[quote name='paddlefoot']Why is it that unless an old PS1 title is an RPG it sucks in most people's eyes these days?[/quote]

Okay, I was pretty mean about those games. It's not that the only good games on PS1 were RPGs, not by a longshot, it's that games like PS1 era Ridge Racer, THPS, Matt Hoffman BMX (i.e. racing and sports games...let's not even mention things like Madden) have been completely eclipsed, and most of the XBox, GC, and PS2 versions/updates to these games can be found for only a couple of bucks used and maybe even less than $5 used.

Sports and racing games like this get really old really fast, and age extremely poorly when comparing older technology/systems to current ones.

Shit, doesn't the X360 already have a bunch of racing games at less than $20? I just don't see this as any sort of 'deal', since most of these games were $2-5 new or used, and available in massive quantities, for the last 6 years plus.

[quote name='secretvampire']EB/GS has NO way to match the shrinkwrap found on factory sealed PS1 games. Gamecube or DS yes, PS1 no.[/QUOTE]

True. So as long as folks are looking that closely they should be able to tell (took me a little while). Still, it annoys me that EB goes to that extent to defraud the consumer.

My local Gamestop is running a buy one, get one free sale on these. I picked up a nice, complete Medal of Honor Underground, and Soul Blade for $4.50. I almost got all the Syphon Filter games as well, because they had all of those too.

My local GS had a buy 2 for $5 sale on PS1 games as well... there was a bin of about 200 of them.

I'm willing to pay $5.00 per game, so if anybody can get these locally and ship them to me (I'll pay shipping), I'd appreciate it. PM me and I'll give you a list of what I'm looking for.

I went to a Gamestop a month ago, and they had hundreds of PS1 games, and probably a hundred or so n64 game. They had the buy 2, get one free deal, so I figured I would look through them all. Unfortunately, they had nothing worth buying....all old sports games, and a couple games like croc, racing, skateboarding, etc. When I went to my local Gamestop this past Summer though, I stopped in and picked up a few decent games: Twisted Metal 2, 40 Winks, Parasite Eve 2, Spyro, Parapa the Rapper, both Medal of Honors, Tomb Raider: Last Revelation, etc. I even went back a week later, where they were just getting a shipment in of a bunch of ps1 games from other stores...so I asked if I would see them, and I ended up getting Thousand Arms, both Rainbow Six's, and a few others. There were a bunch of older RPGs at that time that were worth getting, but I already had them all, so I passed. So, there may be times where you guys will get lucky with older games...but for the most time, they'll have all of the older sports games..

[quote name='imtehman']first post so here goes, what is ymmv! i've tried googling but it comes up as "your mileage may vary" its driving me crazy. well not really[/quote]
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Found boxed copies of Persona 2 and Rhapsody in a EB a few weeks ago. Both unsealed and marked as used, but obviously brand new. No scratches on any of the discs and the manuals still have that wonderful 'new' smell. Buy 1 get 1 at $20 plus edge card. :D

[quote name='fuchikoma']Found boxed copies of Persona 2 and Rhapsody in a EB a few weeks ago. Both unsealed and marked as used, but obviously brand new. No scratches on any of the discs and the manuals still have that wonderful 'new' smell. Buy 1 get 1 at $20 plus edge card. :D[/quote] $20 for mint, practically new Persona 2 AND Rhapsody?! I would snatch it in a heart beat!

[quote name='deathscythehe']A store around me still has 2 sets of Persona 2 & Rhapsody. Persona 2 is 30 though, so the total for both is 30+tax. Anyone know why these 2 games in particular are everywhere(relatively speaking)? I thought they were rare.

Edit: Answered my own question
http://www.siliconera.com/2006/01/16/the-business-of-reprints/[/QUOTE]

2005? Wow, pretty late for a PS1 reprint. But no complaints here.

BTW, my copy Persona 2 was marked $30 used but rang up $19.99. YMMV.

[quote name='karkyco']Okay, so now we know the identities of 4 of the shitty games, but what are some of the so called good ones?[/quote]

I dont know what you're talking about but 2 of those games are classics, 1 is very good, and another is great for the price.

[quote name='schuerm26']Why would they be phasing out Gamecube? Those all work on the Wii. Have you been told this by a manager or something? I know they are doing that with XBOX but a lot of those won't work on current systems.[/quote]

Um and where did you get this info from? There is absolutely no evidense that they are phasing out old Xbox games, I just think they no longer accept old ass sports games for the last-gen systems.

[quote name='deathscythehe']A store around me still has 2 sets of Persona 2 & Rhapsody. Persona 2 is 30 though, so the total for both is 30+tax. Anyone know why these 2 games in particular are everywhere(relatively speaking)? I thought they were rare.

Edit: Answered my own question
http://www.siliconera.com/2006/01/16/the-business-of-reprints/[/quote]
That article says GQD now has Growlanser: Generations Deluxe Edition. Won't they have to remake the bonus goodies such as the watch, necklace, etc to the same exact specs?

[quote name='klew']Sorry, when it comes to new games I don't trust EB to sell them brand new (unless it's 360 with manufacturer's seal). In my experience, EB takes used games, with sticker glue still on the case and discs with smudges and scratches, seals them and sells them as new. I've bought several sealed "new" games from them I've had to return. Their excuse is that it either came from the manufacturer that way or it was a demo disc. Yeah, right! Just be wary.[/quote]

The game that I got still had the Sony Playstation sticker seal at the top of the case.

[quote name='Rozz']Um and where did you get this info from? There is absolutely no evidense that they are phasing out old Xbox games, I just think they no longer accept old ass sports games for the last-gen systems.[/QUOTE]

look in the store, most of the used XBOX games are in the $9.99 and under bin, thats how it started w/ PS1/N64 games

Sales of USED OGXBOX games are very lackluster, ditto for used GCN games. The market is much better for 360, Wii and PS2 games right now just walk into any EB wand watch what people buy/ask for

"Do you have any Wiis in stock?"

"Do you have any used REsistenace FOM?"

"Do you have any used Zelda TP?"

Im the only crazy dude in there buying OGXBOX games for $4.99 each

[quote name='eau']That article says GQD now has Growlanser: Generations Deluxe Edition. Won't they have to remake the bonus goodies such as the watch, necklace, etc to the same exact specs?[/QUOTE]

They've got the deluxe edition listed for sale new on their site. Either they remade everything or WD had a sizeable stock left after going under.

That article says GQD now has Growlanser: Generations Deluxe Edition. Won't they have to remake the bonus goodies such as the watch, necklace, etc to the same exact specs?
Negative. GQD bought out the remaining Working Designs stock when they closed their doors. Same reason they have new copies of Sega Ages for Saturn and Cosmic Fantasy 2 for Turbo Duo.

[quote name='secretvampire']Negative. GQD bought out the remaining Working Designs stock when they closed their doors. Same reason they have new copies of Sega Ages for Saturn and Cosmic Fantasy 2 for Turbo Duo.[/quote]

Anyone have a link to this site? Did I just miss it or something?

[quote name='expane']look in the store, most of the used XBOX games are in the $9.99 and under bin, thats how it started w/ PS1/N64 games

Sales of USED OGXBOX games are very lackluster, ditto for used GCN games. The market is much better for 360, Wii and PS2 games right now just walk into any EB wand watch what people buy/ask for

"Do you have any Wiis in stock?"

"Do you have any used REsistenace FOM?"

"Do you have any used Zelda TP?"

Im the only crazy dude in there buying OGXBOX games for $4.99 each[/QUOTE]
This is so true. Everytime I go into EB/GS, there are tons of people around the PS2/ 360/ Wii sections. Gamecube and regular Xbox game sections are devoid of shoppers. I noticed this for the past few months. Better for me as I still want the old Gamecube/Xbox games.

[quote name='xmrblondex']
wk_checkov_42_216.jpg

Your Mileage May Wary, Keptain!

but seriously, i was unable to find any sealed ps1 games at ebgames.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Great picture.

However, instead of making fun of the newbie: YMMV does mean your mileage may vary. As in your experience with finding this sale/deal could vary. Basically, its a quite way of denoting any deal that can vary from place to place or person to person.

Edit: As informed by the post below, my crazy brain placing a V where there is clearly a W could have just screwed up my entire understanding of the issue.

[quote name='Sulik2']LOL. Great picture.

However, instead of making fun of the newbie: YMMV does mean your mileage may vary. As in your experience with finding this sale/deal could vary. Basically, its a quite way of denoting any deal that can vary from place to place or person to person.[/QUOTE]

I was actually making fun of the OP, in the title it's (ymmw)

[quote name='secretvampire']I guarantee you this is YMMV (finding ANY good PS1 games at EB/GS now). However, I must admit a dirty secret.

About a month ago, I stumbled into a random Gamestop in Houston and saw they had a couple of decent used PS1 games which were of course also Buy One, Get One. The best part is when he opened the drawer to get them out and what I saw. *FIVE* sealed Arc the Lad Collections and *FIVE* sealed Greatest Hits Final Fantasy Tactics plus a single sealed Blast Lacrosse. All stickered as used, so basically half off. Needless to say, they no longer have any of these now and actually seemed surprised I wanted to buy them! :)[/QUOTE]

Lol.

bread's done
Back