Searching For A Job - Rant/Rave/Discuss Here

[quote name='Tony Stark']I figured since most of you in the thread the looking for jobs and know how hard it is that you would find this image amusing. [/QUOTE]

That's hilarious. I even imagined there being a dog like character laughing at me for every botched interview or failed job application.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I have noticed how fucking cheap startups can be. fuck startups. Want to work you to the bone and pay you pennies for it. Even nonprofits are more generous.[/QUOTE]

It depends what field you're in. Software startups tend to be the exact opposite: spending money like it's going out of style. (They're CS majors, not accountants. :lol:)

I just gave my 2 week's notice at my job recently. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I felt so incredibly guilty and as if I had done something morally wrong.

My supervisor and one of the principal owners looked so sad when I broke the news, and I was totally not expecting, nor prepared, for that reaction. They even asked if they could do anything to make the position better for me, or if it was a matter of being unhappy with my compensation...until I basically caved and told them I had taken another job offer. It was really gut-wrenching.

However, I received an offer to work in the industry I've long been hoping to break into, and as 3 years have already gone by since I graduated from college with obstacles continuing to mount up against me, I felt I had to take the plunge.

Very emotionally drained right now but eagerly looking towards the future...

[quote name='darkcecil32']I just gave my 2 week's notice at my job recently. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I felt so incredibly guilty and as if I had done something morally wrong.[/QUOTE]

Nice. Been thinking about doing the same just to do something a little different, but I got offered a project that's more inline with what I would rather do. I'll see how that turns out before I apply somewhere else.

I got a job offer from the place I interviewed with! It's not as much money as I'd like, but their benefits package is good enough to make up for it.

[quote name='Clak']I got a job offer from the place I interviewed with! It's not as much money as I'd like, but their benefits package is good enough to make up for it.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, congrats.

[quote name='Clak']I got a job offer from the place I interviewed with! It's not as much money as I'd like, but their benefits package is good enough to make up for it.[/QUOTE]

Way to go!

Congrats, dude!

holy crap that was quick. Got a job today.

I saw an ad online yesterday.. Sent in my resume this morning...interviewed this afternoon and got the offer end of day.

My ace in the hole is that I happened to go to high school with the firm president (I knew him but never hung out or anything). I mentioned it in the cover letter. It also help that I got a great reference from my past employer.

[quote name='usickenme']holy crap that was quick. Got a job today.

I saw an ad online yesterday.. Sent in my resume this morning...interviewed this afternoon and got the offer end of day.

My ace in the hole is that I happened to go to high school with the firm president (I knew him but never hung out or anything). I mentioned it in the cover letter. It also help that I got a great reference from my past employer.[/QUOTE]
Congrats to you too!

so-much-win-300x229.jpg

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I applied for 20+ jobs on the U of Illinois job board about a month ago. I just got an email from a one of the companies asking what my GPA is. To put it plainly, it sucks (2.7 overall, 2.9 major). But I have quite a bit of experience (which was on my resume) that I think more than makes up for my shitty GPA. I know I have to tell him my GPA, but is there anything else I should add to kind of make it seem not so bad? Or should I just tell him and deal with the consequences of being a shitty student?

Got a call today from a job I applied to in the area a couple weeks ago. They want to schedule a phone interview for later this week. Gonna set it up tomorrow and see if I can get salary/benefits info during the phone interview then go from there. Its in my area and relevant to my field (finance) but I'm not sure its worth it to leave my current job that is also in my area and relevant to my field.

[quote name='Access_Denied']I'm in a bit of a pickle. I applied for 20+ jobs on the U of Illinois job board about a month ago. I just got an email from a one of the companies asking what my GPA is. To put it plainly, it sucks (2.7 overall, 2.9 major). But I have quite a bit of experience (which was on my resume) that I think more than makes up for my shitty GPA. I know I have to tell him my GPA, but is there anything else I should add to kind of make it seem not so bad? Or should I just tell him and deal with the consequences of being a shitty student?[/QUOTE]

Tell him. He'll probably assume worse if you don't. Not saying honesty matters, but hiding it makes it a tiny bit worse.

Honestly, think about grad school too, assuming you're willing to work for a better GPA.

[quote name='elessar123']Tell him. He'll probably assume worse if you don't. Not saying honesty matters, but hiding it makes it a tiny bit worse.

Honestly, think about grad school too, assuming you're willing to work for a better GPA.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just told him straight up, no BS. I looked and it was a job in Chicago, so not a job that I wanted anyway. I already have 2 job offers, I was just hunting for more just to keep my options open. :)

As for grad school, no chance in hell for me. I hate school so much that the only reason I went to college in the first place was because of pressure from the family. It would have been a huge mistake not to go, don't get me wrong, but that doesn't mean I enjoyed any part of it. :/

Anyone notice how just about every job that isn't entry level seems to have unreasonable expectations for potential candidates? It's seems like every job listing I read either wanted advanced degrees, or 5+ years of very specific work experience. Very few jobs that pay anything decent have any interest in hiring a decent candidate that might require some training.

When you received the offer did you reply with "hell yes!"?

That was the reply given to the HR manager when a position in our department was offered Monday.

Had my phone interview yesterday with that other company. Turns out the position is in another department than the one they listed, mostly making collection calls and processing credits. Pays 5-6K more than where I am but its not really a big step forward and I'm in a good spot at my company right now to move up the ladder in the near future. Blegh.

[quote name='spmahn']Anyone notice how just about every job that isn't entry level seems to have unreasonable expectations for potential candidates? It's seems like every job listing I read either wanted advanced degrees, or 5+ years of very specific work experience. Very few jobs that pay anything decent have any interest in hiring a decent candidate that might require some training.[/QUOTE]
That's about what I ran into. Actually even for some entry level stuff a lot of places were wanting 3+ years of experience.

[quote name='Clak']That's about what I ran into. Actually even for some entry level stuff a lot of places were wanting 3+ years of experience.[/QUOTE]

And they can get it in this terrible economy.

Yep, they can. The only reason I really got this job is because I was wiling to take less than the other guy. He had a bit more experience and apparently thought he deserved more.

[quote name='spmahn']Anyone notice how just about every job that isn't entry level seems to have unreasonable expectations for potential candidates? It's seems like every job listing I read either wanted advanced degrees, or 5+ years of very specific work experience. Very few jobs that pay anything decent have any interest in hiring a decent candidate that might require some training.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, think that's bad, I have seen Internship positions requiring 2-3 years experience, let alone an Entry-Level Position.

First day today. Woo-hoo!

Ended up at a different job than the NOAA one I mentioned earlier. The terrible contracting company was too much to deal with. A 23 minute commute in northern VA is awfully nice, too.

[quote name='yourlefthand']First day today. Woo-hoo!

Ended up at a different job than the NOAA one I mentioned earlier. The terrible contracting company was too much to deal with. A 23 minute commute in northern VA is awfully nice, too.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! I'm on day number 4.

I just happened to see this thread after spending a lot of time away from CAG. I moved last year from the Bay Area, California to the east coast to start fresh again. I figured it was easier to buy a house here.

Anyways...I didn't realize how hard it is to find a job now. I haven't looked for a job in over 10 years. I used to use Craigslist for eveything but now there are so many scams on that website, its depressing.

I sent out several resumes in the past 4 months and received no call backs. I have one interview scheduled for next week which is good. Overall, I am really surprised at the lack of responses I'm getting. It also hurts that I am in a new area and I don't have a lot of connections here.

[quote name='Xevious']I just happened to see this thread after spending a lot of time away from CAG. I moved last year from the Bay Area, California to the east coast to start fresh again. I figured it was easier to buy a house here.

Anyways...I didn't realize how hard it is to find a job now. I haven't looked for a job in over 10 years. I used to use Craigslist for eveything but now there are so many scams on that website, its depressing.

I sent out several resumes in the past 4 months and received no call backs. I have one interview scheduled for next week which is good. Overall, I am really surprised at the lack of responses I'm getting. It also hurts that I am in a new area and I don't have a lot of connections here.[/QUOTE]

Of the over 100 jobs I applied for before getting my job I never thought of looking on Craigslist, it always has that hidden negative connotation

[quote name='Tony Stark']Of the over 100 jobs I applied for before getting my job I never thought of looking on Craigslist, it always has that hidden negative connotation[/QUOTE]

10 Years ago I would have wholeheartly recommended Craigslist. Not so much now.

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']fuck interviews
dude asked me where I see myself in 5 years. I exploded into laughter[/QUOTE]

Mitch Hedburg: Celebrating the 5 year anniversary of you asking me this question!

After reading some of the earlier posts in this thread, I notice there is a debate about the 1 page to 2 page resume.

I found that using a page layout program (like Adobe Indesign) allows you to pack more information on one page than a word processing program like MS word.

So I was able to get a lot of dense information on one page and still make it look readable. You should use a old style font for the main body of text and use a san-serif font for the headline text. Old style fonts are better for paragraphs generally speaking.

I can't believe I'm complaining about this, as a few weeks ago I would have been thrilled, but now I have too many people interested in me! Since taking this job I've two other recruiters calling me with jobs. The worst part is, I don't know what to do. One is for a junior network admin job, which could pay up to 50k a year, the other I don't know about yet. The network admin job is a bit more of what I'd like to do, but then I actually like this place I'm working at now, although the pay isn't as good (I'm betting the benefits are better where I'm at though).

Man, never thought I'd have this problem..

Interview in the morning for a legal analyst job with a top 5 finance company. I've been thinking about leaving my law practice for a less traditional legal career recently so we'll see where this leads me. The pay is very high for someone who has no experience in finance, so that's a big draw too. Think positive thoughts for me!

[quote name='jr233270']Interview in the morning for a legal analyst job with a top 5 finance company. I've been thinking about leaving my law practice for a less traditional legal career recently so we'll see where this leads me. The pay is very high for someone who has no experience in finance, so that's a big draw too. Think positive thoughts for me![/QUOTE]

Don't take this the wrong way, but in this economy, especially for attorneys, how do you even get in for a legal analyst job with no experience in fiance? Have you been doing non-financial legal analysis? What is "legal analysis" anyway? Keeping track of legislation/regulations/court decisions and issuing internal memos on those? Lobbying?

[quote name='Xevious']10 Years ago I would have wholeheartly recommended Craigslist. Not so much now.[/QUOTE]

I would still recommend them, even for professionals. Applied for a job that was posted on Craigslist. $60k job as an accountant for a good company and I ended up getting an offer. I ended up taking another job offer because I wanted to work for a nonprofit but the Craigslist posting was definitely legit and for a really good job.

[quote name='perdition(troy']That's pretty sweet Clak! Just stick with whatever company is more stable IMO.[/QUOTE]
I'll probably stay where I am. The network admin job would require an interview Friday, really too late of a notice. Don't' know about the other one, have been too busy to call about it.

Funny thing is that if I were still actively looking, nobody would call me probably.:roll:

[quote name='Clak']I'll probably stay where I am. The network admin job would require an interview Friday, really too late of a notice. Don't' know about the other one, have been too busy to call about it.

Funny thing is that if I were still actively looking, nobody would call me probably.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, what kind of role are you in now? Moving up to a network admin position might open a lot of doors for you in the future.

Yeah, and everyone loves a CCNA. If I ever needed a bump in pay or lose my job, I'm still keeping up with my networking stuff so I can get certified in a jiffy if need be. Great to hear that things are looking up!

[quote name='Clak']The worst part is, I don't know what to do. One is for a junior network admin job, which could pay up to 50k a year, the other I don't know about yet. The network admin job is a bit more of what I'd like to do, but then I actually like this place I'm working at now, although the pay isn't as good (I'm betting the benefits are better where I'm at though).[/QUOTE]

Networking admin is a solid field that can lead into a lot of things. But to be honest, it all depends what route you want to go in the computer industry. Like me, I don't really like database/programming/anything deskwork type stuff so even though I could easily get a better paying job doing it, and have had offers, it's just not for me.

The good thing about this industry is that if you have a decent job now, if you wait and are patient you will find a job in the field you want. Well, at least in the DC area.

I need to vent. I graduated almost 2 years ago with a degree in accounting. Small well-respected private school, reasonably decent not great GPA (3.5), but have had no luck getting a job.

I believe my main reason for difficulty is my lack of networking or interning during school. I went to school part-time while working a full-time job. It was too late by the time I learned the importance of networking and getting your face in front of firms prior to graduation.

I still work a full-time job for the State. Great benefits, poor pay. Had around 5-10 interviews in the last year with no luck. I'm sure my lack of accounting experience in the current job market severly undermines my opportunities.

Any advice? I've been in my current position for almost 7 years and it has killed my drive and sucked the life out of me. I'm willing to do anything in accounting or business.

[quote name='paddlefoot']I need to vent. I graduated almost 2 years ago with a degree in accounting. Small well-respected private school, reasonably decent not great GPA (3.5), but have had no luck getting a job.

I believe my main reason for difficulty is my lack of networking or interning during school. I went to school part-time while working a full-time job. It was too late by the time I learned the importance of networking and getting your face in front of firms prior to graduation.

I still work a full-time job for the State. Great benefits, poor pay. Had around 5-10 interviews in the last year with no luck. I'm sure my lack of accounting experience in the current job market severly undermines my opportunities.

Any advice? I've been in my current position for almost 7 years and it has killed my drive and sucked the life out of me. I'm willing to do anything in accounting or business.[/QUOTE]

I'm not in the "business" or accounting fields, but are there any local accounting associations you could join? Surely there's some kind of local business associations or groups you could join. You might want to consider joining something like Rotary Club where many business people join for charitable activities. That will open up some networking for you.

[quote name='paddlefoot']I need to vent. I graduated almost 2 years ago with a degree in accounting. Small well-respected private school, reasonably decent not great GPA (3.5), but have had no luck getting a job.

Any advice? I've been in my current position for almost 7 years and it has killed my drive and sucked the life out of me. I'm willing to do anything in accounting or business.[/QUOTE]

Where do you live? Are you flexible about that?

[quote name='paddlefoot']Any advice? I've been in my current position for almost 7 years and it has killed my drive and sucked the life out of me. I'm willing to do anything in accounting or business.[/QUOTE]
My cousin had a similar situation on trying to get into the accounting field out of school. What he ended up doing was signing up on a couple headhunter locations in larger cities (originally from Southern Indiana) that he'd willing to move to. He ended up taking 3-6 month contract jobs for about a year and a half. Some of them can lead to direct hire but he went through 4 contracts and then had built up some good contacts. The lead for his current job came from his supervisor at his last contract job.

bread's done
Back