SEARS Made a mistake

coolbho3000

CAG Veteran

The above image is of the e-mail confirmation receipt that Sears gave me after ordering CoD4. As you can see, their computer systems made a mistake and the "item total after savings" was just $34.73! However, they charged me the normal $43 price.

I am currently trying to get them to refund some money back into my account (I'm a really cheap gamer) arguing that they should charge the amount on the receipt or else they are using deceptive business practices and such.

Based on past experience, is it likely for me to win?

You ordered online so there is an electronic record of that transaction, so I don't see how or why they wouldn't give you the difference refunded, unless the deduction was an inaccuracy...

Bit rusty at math eh?

They did charge you $34.73 for the game, the reason it comes out to $43.44 is due to tax and shipping.

CoD4 has been on sale at alot of retailers lately for $37-39.99, why not just pick it up there and avoid having to wait for it so ship?

[quote name='creeeaature']Bit rusty at math eh?

They did charge you $34.73 for the game, the reason it comes out to $43.44 is due to tax and shipping.[/quote]

Yup, it was $48.70 before the $5.xx discount.

All's well.

Look at the receipt. They gave me the shipping discount without applying the shipping first (that was their mistake), and the total came out to be $34.73. Then later the receipt contradicts itself.

The game cost $40 as usual. There was a discount on shipping, so the mistake free process would have been like this:

$39.99 game
$6.25 shipping
-$5.26 shipping discount
$2.46 tax
$43.44 total

However, the receipt also displayed this weird mistake which brought it to the lower price:
$39.99 game
-$5.26 shipping discount
$34.73 total

I want to pester them into giving me the lower price on the receipt!

The receipt doesn't call it a shipping discount. Looks like they just put the minus $5.26 in both places instead of carrying the subtracted subtotal down to the bottom. They could just say the Item Subtotal down below refers to the price of the items BEFORE discounts, they just note them above so you know which discount applied to which item. If it were me I'd forget about it.

[quote name='coolbho3000']

I want to pester them into giving me the lower price on the receipt![/QUOTE]

Be sure to use the savings on a calculator if you somehow happen to win.

[quote name='coolbho3000']Look at the receipt. They gave me the shipping discount without applying the shipping first (that was their mistake), and the total came out to be $34.73. Then later the receipt contradicts itself.

The game cost $40 as usual. There was a discount on shipping, so the mistake free process would have been like this:

$39.99 game
$6.25 shipping
-$5.26 shipping discount
$2.46 tax
$43.44 total

However, the receipt also displayed this weird mistake which brought it to the lower price:
$39.99 game
-$5.26 shipping discount
$34.73 total

I want to pester them into giving me the lower price on the receipt![/quote]

The top half of the reciept shows the calculations before tax and shipping are taken into affect, is why it shows 34.73. Which if the game is 39.99 and they subtract your 5.26 you'd get 34.73.

The bottom half of the receipt then takes everything into affect

$39.99 (total price for game)
$2.46 (for sales tax)
$6.25 (for shipping)
$48.70 is the total so far (this doesn't have the discount yet)
-$5.26 (for the "shipping discount" that was promised earlier in the reciept, which brings it down to 99 cents for the shipping [6.25-5.26=.99])

then we add these all together and get $43.44, thus as has been said, Sears is correct

bread's done
Back