SEARS: Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack $20-$30 (YMMV?)

crimsonassassin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Earlier, I was in Sears and noticed they had the original Skylanders pack (game, portal, 3 toys) marked down.  It was $30 on XBox 360 and $20 on PS3 and 3DS.  While this might be YMMV, I thought I'd pass it along in case someone was looking for a $50 savings off the "regular" price.

It's $20 at Kmart right now too, at least for PS3. Haven't found another system yet.
I had suspected that might be the case but had not been to Kmart in a while. Sears here had 1 XBox copy, 5 PS3 copies (one of which I got), and 2 3DS copies. It seems odd that the XBox version is $10 more.

A Walmart near me had I think two Xbox and 1 PS3 copies left marked down to $50. They also had a few of that glow in the dark spyro pack-in from the newer game in stock too for $50/set.

Even at the cheap price, you'll still end up spending a bunch on the toys. My niece has this game and its a giant advertisement for the figures. It's like, look what this guy can do, it's soooooo cool! Then they show you a 30-60 second video (commercial) of the guy killing shit. Just my opinion of the game of course, it really does seem like its a commercial to sell toys.

Even at the cheap price, you'll still end up spending a bunch on the toys. My niece has this game and its a giant advertisement for the figures. It's like, look what this guy can do, it's soooooo cool! Then they show you a 30-60 second video (commercial) of the guy killing shit. Just my opinion of the game of course, it really does seem like its a commercial to sell toys.
If you can be patient and wait for deals on the figures you can get them for a fair price much lower than retail. I've done that and I have all of series 1 and most of series 2/giants.

My son loves the games as do the wife and I to co-op on them. The games are a nice, fun, Diablo-lite brawler that don't involve a lot of thinking/strategy. When you unlock abilities for other characters while playing through the levels, they do ask you if you want to watch the preview of the character, but you can always click no. I'd say the game hardly seems like JUST a commercial to sell toys. There is a lot of content to play. Just my opinion of-course (as I've actually played through the games).

My daughters have been enjoying the hell out of the game and I've been looking forward to playing it via co-op with them, but wanted to pick up characters from all of the elements.  With the Giants starter edition that I got for $2 at Target and the 2 starters for Spyro, I'm about $55 invested after I picked up two female Skylanders (my girls wanted girl characters to play with) and that is not a terrible amount to spend for a game that they like as much as they do.  

My daughters have been enjoying the hell out of the game and I've been looking forward to playing it via co-op with them, but wanted to pick up characters from all of the elements. With the Giants starter edition that I got for $2 at Target and the 2 starters for Spyro, I'm about $55 invested after I picked up two female Skylanders (my girls wanted girl characters to play with) and that is not a terrible amount to spend for a game that they like as much as they do.

Agreed. If you spend smart, it's not that expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been this price for a few months, so I'm surprised people are still finding them in-store. I purchased one for a birthday back in April for the same price.

The figures are very frequently on sale, so you don't have to spend a lot to get a decent collection. I've never paid more than $5 for any figure. Unless you're hunting down rare variants or retired figures, you can easily get the vastly overproduced figures on the cheap. GameStop still can't get rid of some of those $2.50 figures they've had on their website for over a month now.

I picked it up for the 3DS at the Mall of America Sears and got it for $19.99. Not a bad deal to get dark spyro. . .

It's been this price for a few months, so I'm surprised people are still finding them in-store. I purchased one for a birthday back in April for the same price.

The figures are very frequently on sale, so you don't have to spend a lot to get a decent collection. I've never paid more than $5 for any figure. Unless you're hunting down rare variants or retired figures, you can easily get the vastly overproduced figures on the cheap. GameStop still can't get rid of some of those $2.50 figures they've had on their website for over a month now.
Though I have not been in the local Sears much recently, I know it was not $20 in KMart here during May/June. For about a week, they had all versions there for $30. Then they went back up to ~$60.

bread's done
Back