Second World War games

Mike23

CAGiversary!
Can anyone suggest any good WWII games? I'm spefically looking for FPS's or RTS's. Ability to "change the history" of what happened kinda important to me.

Thanks.

Can anyone suggest any good WWII games? I'm spefically looking for FPS's or RTS's. Ability to "change the history" of what happened kinda important to me.
...change the history? So you're looking for a game where the Axis powers can win?

Some of my favorite WW2 FPS are Brothers in Arms for realistic damaging and squad play, any of the Call of Duty or Medal of Honor PC games for more arcadey, scripted play, and Return to Wolfenstein only for multiplayer. The Enemy Territory expansion for RTCW is actually free, I think, and downloadable off their website.

[quote name='espy605']...change the history? So you're looking for a game where the Axis powers can win?

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. I always thought that would be a neat way to do things in a videogame.

Soldiers: Heroes of WWII is a fun game, and I'm sure you can find an alternate history mod for it. Or how about Freedom Force vs. the Third Riech?

Pretty much. I always thought that would be a neat way to do things in a videogame.
Or how about Freedom Force vs. the Third Riech?

Isn't the storyline for Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich from FF's perspective? I think the OP wants to BE the Third Reich, not fight them.

There was one older game about time traveling that had this kind of alternatte history to it, but even then the purpose was to fight the Nazis. I can't think of any retail game where the purpose of single player was to lead the Nazis to victory. Since most of the countries that make WW2 PC games weren't on the Axis side may be the reason why. I don't think swastikas are even allowed in PC games in Germany (as Wolfenstein and RTCW are both banned there).

The only one I know of was close combat. It's really old. I know you could win battles even if you were axis and that would change the outcome a bit and put you in a better position. I think all the battles were historic and some of them the Axis were suppose to lose but if you were good enough you could win them.

It's nowhere near as good as today's RTS games but aside from wolfenstein, I dont know of any where you can change the outcome of the war. I think thanks to all the anti nazi feelings that most people have, any game where you could play as the Axis powers and win will probably never be made.

Although imo it would make for a very interesting storyline and be a fresh/fun experience. I think taking any major point in history and changing it would be sweet. Imagine if the roman empire were still going strong today etc. etc.

There is one fps out now that is like bargain bin material. It's called Iron Storm, looks pretty cool but one of those games that no one sells. It's like 1960 and you are still fighting WW1 with ww1- vietnam weapons.

If you do happen to find any, come back and let us know. I'm sure there are more people that might be interested in something like that.

EDIt: wow check this out, looks exactly like what your looking for and sounds like it could be a very cool story/game
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/20...e-fall-of-liberty-for-pc-xbox-360-and-ps3.htm

I remember the name of the game where you time travel to kill Nazis, it's an older PC game though called Mortyr 2093 - 1944. It didn't sell very well and was written off as a Wolfenstein clone, but it might be worth looking into if you're really looking for an alternate history fix.

Noodle Pirate's link seems to be about a game that's actually quite similar to Freedom Fighters, which is based on the premise the US lost the Cold War and gets overtaken by the Soviets. Except in this game, it's about the US not joining the European front and eventually getting invaded by Nazis. I'm pretty sure the premise of the game is still about killing Nazis and defending America. I don't think this is exactly what the OP was looking for. I think he wanted to BE the Nazis and be in a pivotal role where he can win the war.

I think thanks to all the anti nazi feelings that most people have, any game where you could play as the Axis powers and win will probably never be made.

It's really a matter of profitability. You could make a WW2 game with single player scenarios for both sides, but you'd be essentially doubling your costs in many development areas (e.g. level creation, event scripting, audio if there are cut scenes, etc.). It isn't worth it to expand a title in this way because it will not increase sales. A title dedicated solely to this scenario wouldn't be very profitable either. People would probably be less than ecstatic about a game that's primarily about shooting American soldiers/patriots/war heroes. It'd be as stupid a business move as when EA released Medal of Honor: Rising Sun in Japan. However, the fact that someone did do something that stupid makes it possible it'll happen again.

There are of course groups that are pro-Nazi but I don't think they're going to invest the money to make a retail game about it. Maybe a mod of an existing game, but not a new one considering the development costs of modern games. Of course, there are deer hunting games (with sequels) so anything's possible. However, I think they spend most of their free time dressing up in pajamas and setting huge crosses on fire.

I think one of the reasons why WWII shooters are so popular compared to other reality-based FPS genres is because most people don't feel bad about killing Nazis. In fact, a lot of people feel good about it. I know when I do it makes me feel like Indiana Jones and who doesn't like that? This new game Noodle pointed out is just a variation on the same thing.

[quote name='espy605']Noodle Pirate's link seems to be about a game that's actually quite similar to Freedom Fighters, which is based on the premise the US lost the Cold War and gets overtaken by the Soviets. Except in this game, it's about the US not joining the European front and eventually getting invaded by Nazis. I'm pretty sure the premise of the game is still about killing Nazis and defending America. I don't think this is exactly what the OP was looking for. I think he wanted to BE the Nazis and be in a pivotal role where he can win the war.[/quote]
Actually, it goes like this:

In Freedom Fighters, the Cold War never really happens. The USSR drops the first A-bomb to end WWII and basically runs things around Europe, culminating with a semi-covert invasion of the modern-day United States.

There aren't any Nazis, just Soviets being taken down by a plumber.

My favorite!
So I made a nonsensical typo. There's castles in both games. And demons.

Actually, it goes like this:

In Freedom Fighters, the Cold War never really happens. The USSR drops the first A-bomb to end WWII and basically runs things around Europe, culminating with a semi-covert invasion of the modern-day United States.

There aren't any Nazis, just Soviets being taken down by a plumber.
I didn't say there were Nazis in Freedom Fighters, I said the game in Noodle Pirates' link, Fall of Liberyy, had them. The premise of both games is similar in that the US loses to a major enemy and America becomes occupied, by Soviets in Freedom Fighters and by Nazis in the Fall of Liberty. When I said that the game is still about killing Nazis and not about being them, I was refering the other typical WW2 games, not Freedom Fighters.

The US being invaded by Soviets sounds like losing the Cold War to me, even if it "never really happened" I find it hard to believe even in an alternate timeline the US wasn't taking some kind of Cold War action against the Soviets.

[quote name='Mike23']Can anyone suggest any good WWII games? I'm spefically looking for FPS's or RTS's. Ability to "change the history" of what happened kinda important to me.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The old Panzer General was played from the German perspective and I imagine they made if possible to win every scenario.

I think there was even some add on scenarios that allowed you to continue and move in on Washington DC.

[quote name='m6oo']The old Panzer General was played from the German perspective and I imagine they made if possible to win every scenario.

I think there was even some add on scenarios that allowed you to continue and move in on Washington DC.[/QUOTE]

WOW! I totally forgot about Panzer General! I loved that game!! I bought it for the PC and PS! Definately a quality game and one of the best hex strat games I have played. It might be a bit slow for most people's taste these days though.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']The only one I know of was close combat. It's really old. I know you could win battles even if you were axis and that would change the outcome a bit and put you in a better position. I think all the battles were historic and some of them the Axis were suppose to lose but if you were good enough you could win them.

It's nowhere near as good as today's RTS games but aside from wolfenstein, I dont know of any where you can change the outcome of the war. I think thanks to all the anti nazi feelings that most people have, any game where you could play as the Axis powers and win will probably never be made.

Although imo it would make for a very interesting storyline and be a fresh/fun experience. I think taking any major point in history and changing it would be sweet. Imagine if the roman empire were still going strong today etc. etc.

There is one fps out now that is like bargain bin material. It's called Iron Storm, looks pretty cool but one of those games that no one sells. It's like 1960 and you are still fighting WW1 with ww1- vietnam weapons.

If you do happen to find any, come back and let us know. I'm sure there are more people that might be interested in something like that.

EDIt: wow check this out, looks exactly like what your looking for and sounds like it could be a very cool story/game
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/20...e-fall-of-liberty-for-pc-xbox-360-and-ps3.htm[/QUOTE]

That game does look really cool.

Just so you all know, I'm not a Nazi or anything, I just thought that would be a cool and fresh gaming experience. I'm half-surprised it hasn't been done already.

bread's done
Back