Secret of Mana Gen. Discussion of OMFG IT'S FINALLY OUT FOR VC

EXStrike

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
som-logo.jpg

Armchair physicists rejoice! The hotly anticipated award-winning World of Goo™ makes its WiiWare™ debut this week, inviting players to build infinitely fascinating structures out of Goo and uncover the mystery behind the World of Goo Corporation. Other cool additions to the Wii Shop Channel™ this week include Art Style™: CUBELLO™, the second installment in Nintendo's Art Style series, and a pair of classics for the Virtual Console™: SECRET OF MANA™ and STREET FIGHTER™ II': SPECIAL CHAMPION EDITION. Fun offerings like these are sure to heat up your October, no matter how low the autumn temperatures may go.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii™ owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

World of Goo(2D Boy, 1-4 players, Rated E for Everyone—Comic Mischief, 1,500 Wii Points): World of Goo is an award-winning, physics-based puzzle/construction game made entirely by two guys. Grab living, squirming, talking globs of goo to build structures, bridges, cannonballs, zeppelins and giant tongues. The millions of Goo Balls that live in the beautiful World of Goo are curious to explore—but they don't know that they are in a game, or that they are extremely delicious. World of Goo Corporation is contractually obligated to state that everyone is a winner, and is enthusiastic to celebrate everyone's Goo building opportunities equally.

Art Style: CUBELLO (Nintendo, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone, 600 Wii Points): Art Style: CUBELLO mixes the strategy and feel of a traditional puzzle game with the precision and reflexes required in a shooter. As each stage begins, various colored cubes form into one large object called a Cubello, which floats and rotates as you play. Launch additional cubes from your magazine and try to connect four or more of the same color, removing them from the Cubello and eventually leaving only its core. Take on the challenge of either Stage or Endless mode and watch what happens when Bonus Time is activated. The straightforward controls and goal ensure that anyone can play, while offering enough depth that even advanced players will find themselves quickly addicted to the unique world of Art Style: CUBELLO.

Virtual Console

SECRET OF MANA (Super NES™, 1-3 players, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older—Mild Fantasy Violence, Mild Suggestive Themes, 800 Wii Points): Good and evil battle for a young warrior's heart. There is one force in the universe that keeps good and evil in perfect balance. It is called the tree of Mana. But a magic sword has tricked a young warrior into upsetting this balance, spreading evil throughout the land. Thus, the warrior must undertake a dangerous journey to find the seeds of the Mana tree, which have been hidden for centuries. Only then can perfect harmony be restored. In this incredible adventure, things are not as they seem. Magic swords release evil as well as fight it. Treasure chests hold booby traps. Monsters are friends and friends are enemies. Potions give power, black magic takes it away. Dragons fly, weapons change. It's a world turned upside down that you must help the warrior make right. And the only way to succeed is to solve the Secret of Mana.

STREET FIGHTER II': SPECIAL CHAMPION EDITION (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, Rated T for Teen—Violence, 800 Wii Points): STREET FIGHTER II': SPECIAL CHAMPION EDITION was the first STREET FIGHTER game released for the Sega Genesis console. The STREET FIGHTER series can be considered one of the first fighting games to popularize competitive video game fighting. This version of the game contains both the CHAMPION and HYPER rule sets, from the two editions released in the arcades. It also introduced an exclusive Group Battle mode that is now a general feature in most fighting games. Play as one of 12 different characters, each with their own distinctive fighting style. Try single-player mode or challenge a friend in this legendary, classic fighting game.

Heroes.jpg_595.jpg

YESSS!!!! God, the hours I put into this on the SNES. It will be mine as soon as I can get to the Wii.

I guess the only downside of this is that it means no enhanced port for the DS. I've read that a lot of material was cut from this game late in development because they couldn't release it on the SNES-CD. The game probably could have benefitted from a redone translation and the restoration of this content (provided it actually was complete or near completion).

I ordered my Wii Points from TRU online, so I think I have to wait to download :eek:

I wonder how many points I have right now on the Wii.

Super Mario RPG and Secret of Mana on the VC, and Chrono Trigger coming to the DS...

This truly is a good time to be a fan of old school RPGs.:D

One of my al time favorite games. Especially great in co-op mode. Once Yoshi's Island and Tetris Attack come out I can sell my old SNES. Too bad there's no online multiplayer.

Square Enix must really hate this game/franchise if they put it up on the VC for only 800 points instead of doing a remake. ;)

The soundtrack to this game is amazing, the desert and winter areas especially. Is this the second Squaresoft game to be released on VC behind Mario RPG? Hopefully the flood of SNES Final Fantasy games will soon follow...

[quote name='NTolerance']The soundtrack to this game is amazing, the desert and winter areas especially. Is this the second Squaresoft game to be released on VC behind Mario RPG? Hopefully the flood of SNES Final Fantasy games will soon follow...[/QUOTE]

I believe Actraiser is the only other.

Wow, only 33 blocks? That's ludicrousnessess.

[quote name='theflicker']I believe Actraiser is the only other.

Wow, only 33 blocks? That's ludicrousnessess.[/QUOTE]

There's also King's Knight for the NES.

I guess I'll ask this here, I've never played Secret of Mana but I have played Sword of Mana on the GBA and Children of Mana on the DS. Is Secret anything like those? If it is I think I'll pass.

[quote name='dcfox']I guess I'll ask this here, I've never played Secret of Mana but I have played Sword of Mana on the GBA and Children of Mana on the DS. Is Secret anything like those? If it is I think I'll pass.[/QUOTE]

It's much, much better than the games you've played. It's a must-have for action RPG fans.

Secret of Mana was good memories but I made the horrible mistake of playing it again recently.

The game, in reality, is a horrible buggy mess. If it's another lazy ass emulation port do yourself a favour, keep the good memories, memories, and find something else to play.

Good soundtrack though.

[quote name='BigPopov']Secret of Mana was good memories but I made the horrible mistake of playing it again recently.

The game, in reality, is a horrible buggy mess. If it's another lazy ass emulation port do yourself a favour, keep the good memories, memories, and find something else to play.

Good soundtrack though.[/quote]

Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

In fairness, the game did have its share of random glitches and bugs. Didn't make it any less fun though.

I'm glad that I sold my SNES cart earlier this year, I wonder if this will devalue the SNES game a lot.

[quote name='NTolerance']The soundtrack to this game is amazing, the desert and winter areas especially. [/QUOTE]

The music on the island made of gold is still tops.

[quote name='DaftPunkFan37']So this essentially destroys the value of my CIB SNES copy right?[/QUOTE]

Doubtful - hardcore collectors still exist.

Also (and this is not meant to sound mean) let's stop this line of discussion now, because I don't want Casioz wandering in here to whine.

[quote name='BigPopov']If it's another lazy ass emulation port[/QUOTE]

wat

[quote name='EXStrike']
Heroes.jpg_595.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Please tell me this is fanart.
[quote name='Strell']The music on the island made of gold is still tops.[/QUOTE]
For some reason, "island made of gold" triggered my memory of this song, one of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTyUl86UIhM

Which isn't actually the gold island song. Weird.

I'm pretty sure that's official art. Probably drawn by an American for the US release.

Could be wrong.

Ahhh. The "sad music" as I'd have called it back in the day. Good choice.

SoM has an extreme nostalgic tint for me. Not just in a "it rocked me in elementary school" way, but in a "I was playing this game during moving" way. Still remember cracking this out and using it as a kind of sanity when I was in that sordid, tumultuous state that moving affords a kid.

I was wondering what to spend the Wii points I picked up @ TRU on. Back during the SNES days I remember my mom was skeptical about spending $50 on a video game so I remember pops taking me to Blockbuster to rent often. I remember getting yelled at for spending $80 one month for renting SoM & SMRPG for the majority of the month. So, who else is waiting for Secret of Evermore?

Secret of Mana still kicks ass even in today's standard - none of the mana games that came after it had the same charm. SD3 had improved graphics but it was too serious, not to mention the weapon system completely changed.

I remember the opening movie with the flamingos flying with the background music playing gave me chills. It was beautiful.

[quote name='gr8asianman']I was wondering what to spend the Wii points I picked up @ TRU on. Back during the SNES days I remember my mom was skeptical about spending $50 on a video game so I remember pops taking me to Blockbuster to rent often. I remember getting yelled at for spending $80 one month for renting SoM & SMRPG for the majority of the month. So, who else is waiting for Secret of Evermore?[/quote]
I am I remember playing both Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, and a few other things I'm still mad at my brother for trading those two games I begged him to give it to me and I'll pay for them when I could. :bomb:

Ah well I still got the strategy guide for both secret of mana and evermore I hid them before my brother could trade them. :bouncy:

Looks like I'll have some more VC games to get I'm pretty excited I really liked this snes game as a kid.

I think I'm the only person in the world that actually wants Secret of Evermore on the VC as well.

It's no SoM2 (or SD3 if you want to get technical), but it's a great game in its own right. Kind of like how there's a British and an American Office. Both have merit.

[quote name='dmunkee']Strell, you're not alone. I love me some Secret of Evermore.[/quote]
I guess me three. Yep, I still don't why the dog keeps changing his forms though.

I think I probably liked Secret of Evermore, but a bug stuck me in a room with some rats. And I saved in the room. So that kind of soured the whole deal.

gah what's wrong with me... I haven't bought this yet.... probably need some sleep.

How soon do we get to see the ratings/cash flow of this game?

[quote name='Strell']I think I'm the only person in the world that actually wants Secret of Evermore on the VC as well.

It's no SoM2 (or SD3 if you want to get technical), but it's a great game in its own right. Kind of like how there's a British and an American Office. Both have merit.[/QUOTE]

Nope. I loved that game to death.

Tongue in cheek humor, pretty decent ambient music. It was great. I would get this day one to have it on the VC.

Booted it up last night just for a few minutes of nostalgia, saved when I got to town. How long does this one take? I honestly can't recall if I've beaten it before since it was played entirely on rentals.

Wow. Completely forgot how great the music is in this game. Lots of extremely morose tracks that carry some great melodies.

Can someone tell me if the text was this difficult to read on the SNES? It's not the text itself, but the fact that I can't seem to find a solid background option for the text windows. They all made my eyes hurt so now I'm using the clear option.

Yeah, I could have sworn there was a solid background at some point, but I might have just gone with the clear one. Probably going to have to do that now.

[quote name='Strell']Can someone tell me if the text was this difficult to read on the SNES? It's not the text itself, but the fact that I can't seem to find a solid background option for the text windows. They all made my eyes hurt so now I'm using the clear option.[/quote]
I had the same problem... Back on the SNES I remember having to switch from the pattern they set as the default before I could read the text easily, but I could have sworn the SNES game had a 'pure solid blue' background option. I guess not though. None of the options are great, but I chose the one with the thick diagonal lines because it's the most solid.

I just can't believe Square would be that stupid. But I'm not near my actual cart to test this theory.

I know there's a lot of people posting things about how "oh hey this looks worse than I remember it," and since I know SNES and such went through RF or composite at best, maybe it was just the blurriness of the screen combined with my less-discriminating youthful eyes.

I dunno. But it is a PAIN. UGH.

I think it does have to do with the increased sharpness primarily. I mean the default background makes the text practically unreadable. There's no way it was that bad on our old SDTVs and we just don't rememeber.

Is secret of manna the one where they save the princcesses? I heard this was okay but I'm still not buying because I'm sure reggies gonna talk about this like it's for hardcore gamers. It's like great, thanks for the old games, dude.

[quote name='dothog']Is secret of manna the one where they save the princcesses? I heard this was okay but I'm still not buying because I'm sure reggies gonna talk about this like it's for hardcore gamers. It's like great, thanks for the old games, dude.[/QUOTE]

#-o

[quote name='dothog']Is secret of manna the one where they save the princcesses? I heard this was okay but I'm still not buying because I'm sure reggies gonna talk about this like it's for hardcore gamers. It's like great, thanks for the old games, dude.[/QUOTE]
No, it's the one where you going around slapping people's nuts.

Just bought this. I'm going to contribute to the SoM thread as well.

Edit #1: JoeB: Are you actually playing this? Strell & me chipped in for this so you better start pushing some of the buttons on this game.

Just curious, how do you pronounce the game. Secret of Manna (like man) or Secret of Mahna. This was a debate at work so let's see what you guys think.

bread's done
Back