Seeking opinions DDR dance pads.

Is there any sort of price limit you have in mind, and for what console?

Out of personal experience I'd recommend a Red Octane Ignition pad... there's nothing quite like playing on a pad with foam inserts (it's a lot easier on the feet, and much less likely to move around while playing heavier songs). Mine is still going strong after 4 years of heavy use.

I can't vouch for any other foam-insert pads, as I've only used my Ignition.... DDRFreak has a nice list of various pads with links to pages of impressions on them, if that helps.

What console?
What difficulty do you play at?

The stock Konami pads work fine if you play on the lower difficulties. Heck, they even work for the higher difficulties for a while, but will eventually be worn out from use.

Almost any soft mat will eventually crap out, depending on how much you use it.

Metal mats are the way to go if you play at high levels. Cobalt Flux mats are the best, but are pricey. I personally got a no-namer off ebay many years ago, and it works wonderfully (though I had to solder the wires shortly after getting it). If you can solder wires, I'd go for one of those.

The foam-pad varieties are by far the best value for your return. (sadly, there's only 1 foam pad for the 360 and it's expensive right now)

They are about $30 and don't slip very often. I don't see a point in paying $100+ for some metal pads when I don't play religiously and don't expect to ever go beyond 6 or 7 foot.

I'm sure higher end brands offered more but I have had some cheap third party PS2 foam pads for 3 years now and it's only now starting to break. I've been very happy with them.

I have a Pelican foam pad and have no problems getting AA on some of the easier heavy songs and B-A on others. (A problem with me, not the pad I'm sure!)

I'll upgrade when it craps out on me, but until then, it's been working fine. Don't expect an everlasting accessory from ghetto ass Pelican.

How the fuck am I supposed to be able to do Waka Laka heavy? :whee:

bread's done
Back