Seen any good movies recently?

adamada

CAGiversary!
I watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind last night. I wasn't expecting much (you know, typical chick-flick), but was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the movie. Anyone else seen a good movie lately that you didn't expect much of, but ended up enjoying?

I saw Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow last weekend. Wasn't expecting much, but it was suprisingly awesome. The sfx were awesome and the action scenes were top notch. The acting was kinda lame, but everything else made up for it.

Also, I saw Mystic River the other night. What A GREAT movie. Sean Penn is such a great actor in this. Hardd to believe he was Spicolli in Fast Times.

Mystic River is a fantastic movie!!!!
Thought Eternal sunshine was a very good movie
and just watched Saved! the other day and was pleasantly surprised by the movie. Very funny and a smart take on a touchy subject, a ery good watch if you have the time.

I (Heart) Huckabees is an interesting and unique "existential comedy". Some moments are so funny, some are just absurdly funny and overall this is great

I finally watched Man On Fire. Excellent film. Besides Glory, I think it's Denzel's best. Very intense. Ending was a bit sad, though.

Highly recommended.

[quote name='crickett003']I finally watched Man On Fire. Excellent film. Besides Glory, I think it's Denzel's best. Very intense. Ending was a bit sad, though.

Highly recommended.[/quote]

I agree, I was quite surprised at how good this was. Denzel is just an awesome actor.

[quote name='adamada']I watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind last night. I wasn't expecting much (you know, typical chick-flick), but was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the movie. Anyone else seen a good movie lately that you didn't expect much of, but ended up enjoying?[/quote]

You thought it was going to be a chick flick? Have you never seen anything written by Charlie Kaufman (Adaptation, Being John Malkovich)? I don't know how you can go into the movie expecting a chick flick.

I recently went through a few DVD's I had. Had Monday off for Columbus Day :)

Day After Tomorrow - Really liked it.....although lacked in story, made up for in special effects

The Punisher - It was fair....gave my brain a rest for 2 hours

Starsky & Hutch - Was fair also....kinda got bored of it after a while though.

That's it for my DVD watching over the past few days....more to come always

[quote name='Tromack'][quote name='adamada']I watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind last night. I wasn't expecting much (you know, typical chick-flick), but was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the movie. Anyone else seen a good movie lately that you didn't expect much of, but ended up enjoying?[/quote]

You thought it was going to be a chick flick? Have you never seen anything written by Charlie Kaufman (Adaptation, Being John Malkovich)? I don't know how you can go into the movie expecting a chick flick.[/quote]

watch "human nature" if you haven't seen it. it's also directed by michel gondry and written by charlie kaufman. it's pretty good, and pretty weird, even by the their standards.

the last movie i saw was "shaun of the dead", which was great. i want to see "hero" and "garden state", but i have been lazy. i should probably go tomorrow and see both of them. i'll definitely be seeing "team america" this weekend. i also have a ton of dvds here (a large portion of which are from that deep discount dvd 20% sale) that i need to watch. i'm on vacation from work next week, so maybe i'll finally watch most of them, or at least some of them. the last dvd i watched was "living in oblivion", which i hadn't seen in years. that movie rules.

Yeah, I didn't know it was written by Charlie Kaufman until after I'd seen it. I really didn't know much at all about it before I saw it.
I like that someone mentioned Shawshank Redemption, one of my favorite movies. Recently I've also seen Shaolin Soccor, which was pretty funny.
Hoping to see Garden State and Man on Fire soon as well.[/quote]

I recently saw Hero, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, Donnie Darko, and Boondock Saints. All of them were awesome especially Hero, donnie Darko, and Boondock Saints. If you haven't seen thse than I highly recommend you go and check them out.

I just saw Super Size Me and Fahrenheit 9/11 last week. Really enjoyed both of them especially now that i am taking a class on the history of documentary film. We're watching a crap-load of films a week and getting some great insight into the history of the genre.

I rented Eternal Sunshine a few weeks back, and I loved it. I'll buy it soon. Other than that, I re-watched Kikujiro, and I saw Man on Fire, which was great.

Hero
Sky Captain
Shaun of the Dead
Team America

all fucking brilliant.

add in the Incredibles, and this has been a good few months for movies

Visitor Q.

So bizaar, so taboo, so laughable that I've told anyone I know who's of legal age to watch it. You will find no better Japanese cinema than this. Prudes, PC and weak stomached people need not apply!

Oh, and the GunGrave anime and Day After Tommorrow were good rents too.

[quote name='adamada']I watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind last night. I wasn't expecting much (you know, typical chick-flick), but was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the movie. Anyone else seen a good movie lately that you didn't expect much of, but ended up enjoying?[/quote]

You mean to tell me that you watched a Charlie Kaufman movie expecting a chick-flick? Holy crap. Eternal Sunshine I loved, for a lot of the same reasons that I loved Being John Malkovich and Adaptation.

As for a movie I didn't expect anything out of but enjoyed, I'd say 'Saved!' was the last surprised I went through. Some friends dragged me when they came to visit on a weekend and I thought it would be horrible, but it ended up being rather awesome.

[quote name='adamada']Yeah, I didn't know it was written by Charlie Kaufman until after I'd seen it. I really didn't know much at all about it before I saw it.
I like that someone mentioned Shawshank Redemption, one of my favorite movies. Recently I've also seen Shaolin Soccor, which was pretty funny.

Garden State is quite good. There were a few things that bothered me, and Zach Braff's writing isn't exactly up to snuff yet, but it was pretty good nonetheless.

[quote name='alongx'][quote name='adamada']Yeah, I didn't know it was written by Charlie Kaufman until after I'd seen it. I really didn't know much at all about it before I saw it.

Garden State is quite good. There were a few things that bothered me, and Zach Braff's writing isn't exactly up to snuff yet, but it was pretty good nonetheless.[/quote]

What kind of problems did you have with it. I thought it got a little weak towards the end of it but aside from that i was very impressed.

Hmm, I guess I appear to be the only person who didn't really enjoy Eternal Sunshime of the spotless mind, sure it's surreal, but so what.

i know this thread is about good movies, but i just gotta say...

do NOT watch the forgotten. i let the girlfriend pick the movie this time, and what i get is a cross between a lifetime original movie and a bad episode of the x-files. seriously, watch any previews of this movie, while telling yourself "this movie is about alien abduction." i was like "what the fuck?"

then forget you ever heard of the movie the forgotten.

What did everyone see in garden state? I see a lot of people share some of the same movie tastes that i have. Eternal Sunshine my be my favorite movie ever. Charlie Kaufman is my favorite writer right now... well, maybe tied with Wes Anderson.

Personally, I very much disliked Garden State. I found it annoying how they expected me to take a cookie cutter character (Natalie Portman) as something life changing. It seemed that she was meant to be profound, but she was just a dork in the end. So, she has a bunch of hamsters. Big deal. Anyways, I am really interested in what you guys think about it...

[quote name='thestuff']What did everyone see in garden state? I see a lot of people share some of the same movie tastes that i have. Eternal Sunshine my be my favorite movie ever. Charlie Kaufman is my favorite writer right now... well, maybe tied with Wes Anderson.

Personally, I very much disliked Garden State. I found it annoying how they expected me to take a cookie cutter character (Natalie Portman) as something life changing. It seemed that she was meant to be profound, but she was just a dork in the end. So, she has a bunch of hamsters. Big deal. Anyways, I am really interested in what you guys think about it...[/quote]

Still haven't had a chance to see if, if I want to watch any of the indie films I have to drive at least an hour to a town which shows them or wait for DVD.

I just watched Requiem For A Dream (or is it Of, does it matter?) and man, I kinda want to kill myself. Excellent movie though, although I would have something uplifting for back up...

I dont even remember the last time I was in a movie theater. It might of been for Spider Man 2, but Im not sure.
I did watch the first Indiana Jones movie last weekend though, its its really good.

I saw Shaun of the Dead today...that is pretty damn funny. I also watched the Club Dread unrated DVD. which is pretty good, but doesn't compare to Broken Lizard's other movie, Super Troopers.

I watched Taxi, man I wish i'd wiped my ass w/ those 20 bucks instead (probably be more fun.) Thats what I get for letting the lil'wife do the movie picking. Avoid this thing like the plague.

I guess I should add to my list Team America: Worl Police. Man that was a funny movie. The South Park guys are comic geniuses. Very funny.

Friday Night Lights was very good, saw that a few days ago. I also saw Team America last night and that was the funniest movie I've seen in a long time, probably since Dodgeball. Keep in mind that I dont bother seeing many comedies in the theater though. I also rented Frequency yesterday and that was pretty good as well.

bread's done
Back