Sega CD problems

If the LED(s) don't even blink on, it is more than likely that the internal fuse has blown. This is a common problem in both the tray loading and the clamshell models. It is an easy fix on both models as long as you have minimal soldering experience. Instructions for locating and replacing the fuse on a clamshell model are here http://www.mrvfone.com.au/sega/fuse.htm I don't have a link for the tray loading model, but I have replaced the fuse on one of mine without any problems. Look for the fuse (looks like a green resistor) near the power input on the power board, should be easy to find. I don't remember offhand the value of the fuse for the tray loader...

If replacing the fuse doesn't work, make sure that all the contacts on the genesis side and the sega cd side are as clean as possible (assuming you've done that already). If that still doesn't fix it, you probably have a bigger problem with the power board. In that case, get out the multimeter....

Or you know, send it to me and I'll give it a good home :)

If the power cord is ok (gives 9 or 10 volts), try unplugging the genesis cleaning the contacts and plugging it back in. Do this with the power off though.

[quote name='Burtie50']If the power cord is ok (gives 9 or 10 volts), try unplugging the genesis cleaning the contacts and plugging it back in. Do this with the power off though.[/QUOTE]

Ditto. This would help most any Sega CD issue I had over the years.

I don't know if this is taboo to say, but they make a good emulator to play your Sega CD games on PC. Would need to find a decent gamepad for the full effect, though.
It's how I play my Sega CD games these days -- as the Sega CD hardware is in a box somewhere and my Genesis isn't even hooked up.

I ran into this problem when I got my sega cd. The light on the genesis would come on but the cd light would not turn on or read disks.

I followed everyones advice and took apart everything and cleaned it cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol.

As soon as I did that it started up good as new. I was suprised that buildup would cause it not to work.

bread's done
Back