Sega Dreamcast

Grandia II was better than Skies. Skies is way, way overrated. Never played EGG, looks like an RPG/pinball hybrid?
Skies biggest problem was the high encounter rate. Battles every three or four steeps. It just dragged.

Last edited by a moderator:
I last had a DC over a decade ago and recently picked one up and got the VGA cable... holy shit, games look fucking amazing with the VGA cable on my HDTV. I mean, you can still tell that they're games from two generations ago, but everything is so sharp and clean.. unlike PS2/GC/XB games. This system really was ahead of its time.

Grandia II wasn't even the best Grandia let alone better than Skies.
Grandia II's battle system was more refined, that's about the only thing that did better than the original. But I would play the original over II if given the option... love the story, music, and characters of the original.

Skies was definitely the best DC RPG by far.

I last had a DC over a decade ago and recently picked one up and got the VGA cable... holy shit, games look fucking amazing with the VGA cable on my HDTV. I mean, you can still tell that they're games from two generations ago, but everything is so sharp and clean.. unlike PS2/GC/XB games. This system really was ahead of its time.
Yeah, it really is like night and day when you get your hand on a VGA box. And it's definitely the best way to hook a Dreamcast up to a modern, fixed-resolution screen as well. There are a few Dreamcast games that will even be rendered in a higher resolution when you use this method. Generally not full-on 1080p, but higher resolution than the 480p that was the gold standard at the time that the Dreamcast came out. Soul Calibur looks spectacular with a VGA box.

Yeah, it really is like night and day when you get your hand on a VGA box. And it's definitely the best way to hook a Dreamcast up to a modern, fixed-resolution screen as well. There are a few Dreamcast games that will even be rendered in a higher resolution when you use this method. Generally not full-on 1080p, but higher resolution than the 480p that was the gold standard at the time that the Dreamcast came out. Soul Calibur looks spectacular with a VGA box.
I'll bet they're 576p for PAL regions.

I still have eight brand new sealed Dreamcast systems, bought them when the system was being dumped cheap at the end of its life.  Love the system, I think it was one of the best shmup consoles ever released (along with the Saturn and 360).  But all of my DC systems and games have been packed away for a long time, I really only have room for 4 active systems in my entertainment center, at one time.

I wonder if you have that mythical "last Dreamcast ever made" that was supposed to be special?
I heard about that. I always wondered about that one...
I've never heard of this... did they say what's so special about it?

I feel like something like that would have been grabbed by someone with connections. I doubt it made it to the public unless Sega actually advertised it as such.

[SIZE=medium]Happy Birthday Dreamcast 9/9/99 launch anniversary.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]It’s nice to see that some people still remember the Dreamcast.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]About 10-12 years ago the collectors went nuts over it but most of those guys have since moved on and sold off their stuff. That Hello Kitty blue that was posted to this thread was part of one of the world’s best Dreamcast collections. He sold off that collection many years ago. By the time I talked to him he had already gotten rid of the ones I needed (I was short about 3 to have all of them back then). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I myself had over 100 Dreamcast units. No one could possibly have everything if you include those giveaway promo one off signed units, but chances are if you have a picture of a DC I have it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]If there is enough interest I might actually do a site with a unit for unit picture or video to show the “new generation” what the DC was about and all the crazy variations, factory dev stuff, and the differences between all the localized global releases of the hardware, even the Naomi hardware that supported DC controllers/VMU at the arcade.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Anyone ever see a Mexican DC, or a Chinese DC?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]How about a DC kiosk unit with a touch screen to interact with “fish life”.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]It actually looks a bit like the Dreamcast DVD mockup unit…[/SIZE]

I talk about this game on kickstarter that is being made for Dreamcast (along with PC and N3DS) on my not so much of a blog site. It features an all star cast of voice talent like Peter Cullen (Transformers, Voltron). I used to be involved in the dreamcast homebrew scene and seeing that there are games still coming out for it, that there still is good life left.

I remember finding out about the dreamcast being discontinued on my high school library computer. I remember thinking that was BS since it wasn't even out that long & I think I owned mines for less than a year I believe fuck. I tried to hurry up and find copies (was waiting for them to come down in price) of marvel vs Capcom 2 & sonic adventure 2 but never could find them in town (didn't order stuff online in those days). That was my biggest video game regret even to this day, I never got a copy of SA2 and MvC2 :wall:.

I've been playing a lot of Sonic Transformed on the 360 recently, and the most enjoyment I get out of it is DC-era nostalgia.

The shortcomings of ST and the boost of DC memories have me wishing I could build a karter of my own in the Power Stone universe. Power Stone 2 was probably in the top 3 of games I played most on the DC, and making a karter out of it never occurred to me until this playthrough of ST. I feel like it's a sweetheart pairing of genre and IP. Capcom should hire me to do this and be willing to overlook the fact that I'd be learning on the job.

PS2 was a terrific game, with great characters, great maps for the beat-em-ups, and varied and interesting weapons. The art in the game was really, really good. Just about everything to do with the game would provide the basis for an outstanding karter if the mechanics and track design matched the quality of PS2.

On characters alone it's all there: the mummy with knives dude, the creepy chef dude, the fuckin Fokker dude. You could even throw in bonus characters from other abandoned Capcom IP, like the Maximo games (which I liked, they didn't seem to catch on). Plus the game could feature all those iconic Capcom quirks, like the coin sound.

Anyhow, Power Stone 2 karting game. Someone with connections put me in touch with Capcom and I will get this done the right way. I suppose they'll want to do a "Capcom All-stars" thing, but I feel like karters are better when they focus on one IP. Power Stone is the IP for this game.

Well a game that noone has brought up yet was Armada. This game made me adore games that would seemingly never end. Lot of fun and the creatures were really funny and crazy looking. Maybe this is where bungie got the idea for the flood. But overall a really cool game.

When i was younger and the DC was discontinued all my friends that had money had the console and even though i was still using a nintendo 64 i would go check them out playing games all the time. Sword of Beserk was also a cool game. All the blood and guts and such.

But heres a few games that i thought were good at the time for what they were. I alos picked many of these games up for 99 Cents.

Red Dog (i think? Karting game with power ups?)
Armada
Blue Stinger (B Movie Resident Evil)
D4 (was like super creepy and at the same time so cool)
Slave Zero

I cant think of the others, but they had some pretty cool games that were unheard of back in the day as well as very neat for the time.

New Dreamcast Indie game is on Kickstarter. Its a 3D on rails shooter similar to the likes of Sin and Punishment / Space Harrier. Other supported platforms will be 3DS, PC/Mac/Linux. Game even has a downloadable demo/beta for said platforms to try out.

Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/retrosumus/xenocider-a-3d-shooter-for-pc-mac-linux-dreamcast

Campaign Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t-07NkDjZ4
Looks neat, I might actually bust out the DC to play the demo. Kinda curious, what's a PAL case edition in the $120+ categories? Do they just mean game in the PAL cases vs standard DVD sized metal case?

Still pretty hesitant to back anything, after Shantae HGHH... game was supposed to come out 2 years ago and there still no end in sight.

PAL Dreamcast cases were these very unique blocky style cases unlike anything else.  Pier Solar and Alice Dreams on Dreamcast both offered PAL cases.  Though as they must be custom made they cost more. 

Right now I am just backing the normal game, but I have considered bumping up to the steel case.... decisions decisions....

Looks neat, I might actually bust out the DC to play the demo. Kinda curious, what's a PAL case edition in the $120+ categories? Do they just mean game in the PAL cases vs standard DVD sized metal case?

Still pretty hesitant to back anything, after Shantae HGHH... game was supposed to come out 2 years ago and there still no end in sight.
Oh Im interested in this

bread's done
Back