Sega genesis mini 49 dollars Amazon and bestbuy

Sega posted on their facebook "At this price, why not get a Genesis Mini for each member of the family? Save $30 USD on the Genesis Mini until December 7 (North America only)."

This is mostly just the catalog that was available in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for PS3 and I already have the Contra and Castlevania collections on PS4 so I'm not really interested. Sonic, Phantasy Star, Contra, Castlevania, Shinobi, Wonder Boy, Mega Man, and Gunstar Heroes are the big titles here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don’t think I can pick this up, the 3 button controllers are gross...... but I still want it. Playing the Sega collection on the PS4 is a chore, Revenge of Shinobi’s controls doesn’t feel right.

Don’t think I can pick this up, the 3 button controllers are gross...... but I still want it. Playing the Sega collection on the PS4 is a chore, Revenge of Shinobi’s controls doesn’t feel right.
Sega Genesis Classics for PS4 has awful slowdown and input lag which wasn't present in the last gen collection.

Bought one at launch. It is the best of the mini consoles released thus far imo. Really well done and quality product from Sega. 

I have the Collection on PS4 and Switch and I think it runs a bit better on Switch, but still not great. The emulation on the mini on the other hand is great and the selection of games is top notch. I do agree the three button controllers kinda suck, but the included games for the most part all play fine with the controller. I personally purchased a 6 button 8BitDo wireless Genesis controller which was like $25 on Amazon with the dongle and I would absolutely recommend that.

If you want a great 6 button controller that feels like an original Sega Genesis 6 button controller, then I highly recommend the 6 button Genesis controllers from Retro-bit. They are officially licensed by Sega and they have wired at $20 and wireless at $35 versions. They also make a Sega Saturn version. They come in original Black, clear blue, and a few variances in smoke black.

I like them so much that I bought 2 of each type. I usually go with 8-bitdo for my retro controllers however Retro-Bit really knocked these Sega controllers out of the park. They look and feel like they did back in the 90's. These versions are compatible with the Genesis Mini, PC/MAC/PS3 and Switch. Wireless versions include two dongles, one USB and one compatible with original Genesis and Saturn hardware. They also make Bluetooth versions if you are into that.

Wired

https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Official-Controller-8-Button-Raspberry/dp/B07P37ZGTF/ref=sr_1_12?crid=2SSAKPEA7ZA9J&keywords=retrobit+sega&qid=1574713549&sprefix=retrobi%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-12

Wireless

https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Wireless-Controller-8-Button-Original/dp/B07WP2ZYNR/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2SSAKPEA7ZA9J&keywords=retrobit+sega&qid=1574713452&sprefix=retrobi%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-5

I have the Collection on PS4 and Switch and I think it runs a bit better on Switch, but still not great. The emulation on the mini on the other hand is great and the selection of games is top notch. I do agree the three button controllers kinda suck, but the included games for the most part all play fine with the controller. I personally purchased a 6 button 8BitDo wireless Genesis controller which was like $25 on Amazon with the dongle and I would absolutely recommend that.
The 3DS versions ran nice and were in 3-D (which was generally done very well). Gunstar Heroes even had extra options, such as an alternate control scheme and the ability to switch between weapons at will. Unfortunately, that collection was small and divided between arcade and Genesis games.

Essentially with owning the other collections this is $50 for Alisia Dragoon. Can't rationalize that. Wish the damn Turbografx one would hurry up though.

I think the reverse. The switch version seems to have worst input lag & online play is nearly unplayable on switch. Also don't get me started on trying to play Kid Chameleon with that awful "D-pad" on the joycon. Both versions are sub par though.

The input lag for the "Genesis" collection game that came out ~~ 1 year ago is TERRIBLE!

All the included games are .. TERRIBLE!! [except the rpgs, but still annoying -- saves because RPG's are slower, not timed games]

On the "Collection" POS: Sonic jumping half a second after you push the buttom...really? SEGA made the collection into an awful "poop pile".

The RPG's are [less than terrible] though, since input lag doesn't affect turn based strategy games. Still shitty. "Genesis Collection".

The games on the MINI are different, but at least they are FUN to play, and nobody needs to make excuses as to why they should be fun. Input lag is not present, thankfully.

[Really SEGA, input lag on your flagship game for Switch/PS4/XB1 .. REALLY?? .. /scream-about-incompetence]

SEGA Genesis Mini == VERY GOOD!

SEGA on consoles == BAD [ it's what happens when all your talent leaves ]. {we need more crappy sonic renditions}. We need another compilation that you can't even both to playtest. (riddled with input lag,.. aka the Genesis collection) }.

/burp

Walmart has a bundle with two 6 button controllers for $81.00. So you get 4 controllers. Games that are best with 3 buttons; check. Games that are best with 6 buttons check.

That’s what I figured. Revenge of Shinobi is brutal on there. I guess I’m getting the mini then.
Revenge of Shinobi is not on the NA Mini. Just Shinobi 3. The Japan one has it though as I recall, I do not know if you can switch to the NA versions of games on that though like you can on the NA version to Japan versions.

But yes, the games definitely plays better on the Mini. If you aren't a fan of the 3 button controllers, get the 6 button ones that work great with your savings. The 6 button controllers are really great on the Mini, as the Mode button will immediately pull up the menu to Save State/exit. On the 3 button you have to hold it like 2 seconds to access it, which obviously causes problems when trying to save state at particular points.

Not even close to each other in any way shape or form. This one is miles away better than anything atgames has ever shit out. There isn't one aspect of this that isn't 100x better.
Except that the 2018 version fixed the sound emulation, and can play 99% of all SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive games using ROMs in it's SD Card slot. All upscaled to HD. And, has a cartridge slot to play your original games, and has controller ports for your original SEGA Genesis controllers. And, can be found online now for around $30.

Except that the 2018 version fixed the sound emulation, and can play 99% of all SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive games using ROMs in it's SD Card slot. All upscaled to HD. And, has a cartridge slot to play your original games, and has controller ports for your original SEGA Genesis controllers. And, can be found online now for around $30.
I'm going to look into this later but seeing how it's still an AT games product, i'm sure its still fucked in some way.

I'm going to look into this later but seeing how it's still an AT games product, i'm sure its still fucked in some way.
It also plays Game Gear games, and people are currently working on hacking it to play SEGA CD and 32X ROMs. The SEGA Mini is great, but if you can find the 2018 version of the AtGames SEGA Flashback. It's not bad at all. It really is the best cheap emulator for playing original SEGA games in HD for $30 or less.

Have a link for the $30 2018 version?

Have a link for the $30 2018 version?
Looks like it's sold out, or was a limited time deal. It was on Walmart's site, and it was a special edition that said it had four extra games (not that you need them with the SD Card slot and ROMs. And, it had two six button wired controllers, along with the three button wireless controllers. It was a really great deal. Kicking myself for not buying it when I saw it.

So close to picking this up but I already have so many "collections" for Sega and I do not have the nostalgia that a lot of people have (Nintendo kid).  From what I'm reading those collections are not that great though so I might be getting subpar experience. I have the PS3 collection and Switch collection which are good but not great from what I'm hearing.  Decisions, decisions  :whistle2:k

Mine from best buy shipped and arrived already.

The box looks kind of used and returned. Is that normal? Some rips on the box and wasn't taped shut

Can you mod these units ?

I have 1800 SNES games. Would love the same for this puppy.
I don't think there is a simple mod yet, sure it will happen eventually like the rest.

I didn't have an NES Classic until the rerelease so not sure how this compares to how long it took for that. SNES was almost immediately, but it had the same setup as the NES.

The same people who modded the Nintendo Classics and PS Classic are working on Genesis as well. but it's still a tbd, just a guarantee it's happening

Mine was taped shut. How did everything look packaged inside the box?
best buy has been doing that lately with shipped items. i would just go and return it to the store and get an exchange if you can. this is not like software and can't be returned if opened. i don't trust best buy with shipping anymore. but a switch mini with the pokemon emblems and nope - they sent a yellow one! luckily the receipt had the serial number so I could return to store.

Too all

the best way to play Sega games are only two ways:

originial hardware with originial controllers

or tthe retro bit controllers and buld yourself a retropi - an emulation OS built for the Raspberry Pi.  

Since I own many of the games on cartridges - I extracted the images years ago with a kit and play them on the RetroPi.

no issues with lag and RetroPi upscales to make these games look great on HD but I hook my Pi up to a Sony Trinitron TV so they look exaclty like they should be played.  and the trinitron gives the best colors and depth.

I grew up watching Nintendo and Sega fight it out.  My older brother bought me an NES when it was first released for Xmas.  My cousin - same Xmas - she got a Sega Master system - I got the 3 pack (Mario Duck Hunt, Track and Field) while she got Sonic and I think flight game (afterburner or something).

We traded for a month - to this day she is a die hard Sega Fan.  To this day, I'm an NES fan.  But I really did like how Sega fooled us kids by making games that seemed to go faster (on screen).  Sega hardware was always superior.  never needed to "blow in the cartridge" effects...

Too all

the best way to play Sega games are only two ways:

originial hardware with originial controllers

or tthe retro bit controllers and buld yourself a retropi - an emulation OS built for the Raspberry Pi.

Since I own many of the games on cartridges - I extracted the images years ago with a kit and play them on the RetroPi.

no issues with lag and RetroPi upscales to make these games look great on HD but I hook my Pi up to a Sony Trinitron TV so they look exaclty like they should be played. and the trinitron gives the best colors and depth.

I grew up watching Nintendo and Sega fight it out. My older brother bought me an NES when it was first released for Xmas. My cousin - same Xmas - she got a Sega Master system - I got the 3 pack (Mario Duck Hunt, Track and Field) while she got Sonic and I think flight game (afterburner or something).

We traded for a month - to this day she is a die hard Sega Fan. To this day, I'm an NES fan. But I really did like how Sega fooled us kids by making games that seemed to go faster (on screen). Sega hardware was always superior. never needed to "blow in the cartridge" effects...
Um both of you must have not gotten systems till the 90's, not when first released in the 80's. I had both in 1985 and 1986. The Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt / World Class Track bundle came out in 1990. The Sonic for the master system didn't come out till 1991 after the Genesis version and was the last USA game for it.

Um both of you must have not gotten systems till the 90's, not when first released in the 80's. I had both in 1985 and 1986. The Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt / World Class Track bundle came out in 1990. The Sonic for the master system didn't come out till 1991 after the Genesis version and was the last USA game for it.
Yes USA had it December 1990. We were all living in Japan. We got the release in 1987 or 88 - a full 2 years before the bundle hit the USA market. Sega dominated the Japan market. I think it was bigger there than it ever was in the US. It's too bad though that Sega could not keep their hands in their pockets and helped Microsoft. Same with Nintendo and Sony. both companies were stupid to partner up with eventual rivals. Dreamcast was a great great system (which I still have and I have Seaman unopened (Circuit City $4.99 when they closed, now it's worth hundreds) and Sega partnered with Microsoft to use Windows CE - and then they in turn taught them how to create controllers. That was the end for Sega. Even now their re-release stuff is pretty crappy. those mini systems won't even be worth much because so many people know what to do with ROMS. And there are a ton of 3rd party hardware in Asia that are better than those mini consoles.

Imo if you have the genesis collection on consoles this thing is pointless
Not pointless, considering it doesn’t have any third party games. Nothing from Capcom, Disney, Konami, etc. That, and the emulation is worse on the collection (input lag, sound delay, sound inaccuracies), but leagues better than anything AtGames has ever produced. Sega Genesis Mini has much better, but still not perfect emulation, and better, overall variety.

bread's done
Back