Sega master system club

ryosnk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I was one on the few people who got a sega master system (SMS) for Christmas and not by mistake. Sega logo was all I saw at my local arcade and the games I played at the arcade where playable at home. Shinobi, r-type, double dragon and many others are a few examples of arcade classics playable at on the SMS. I know the NES won the 8-bit generation but the SMS was my system of choice. This thread is for the fans who enjoyed or still enjoy playing their SMS.

sega_hot_summer_ad1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I still collect games for my Sega Genesis to this day! I know it's not exactly the same as the Master System, but it's in the family. And I support both! :D

I never had a Master System as a kid. In fact I didn't even know they existed until I was much older. Funny cause the Master System seemed slightly more powerful than the NES, at least graphic-wise.

I haven't beaten many SMS games but I did recently play Wonder Boy III Dragon's Trap. Hope I got the name right, those Wonder Boy games are confusing. Also played Golden Axe Warrior which is a damn good Zelda clone. Zillion was another great game.

I'm in the group that learned about it later. Saw one at a garage sale and didn't know what it was at the time. And since Nin pretty much owned that gen I didn't see many Master System games to question what they worked on.

I wouldn't mind getting one now if I found some games to try on it, I have pretty much every other Sega, Nin, and Sony console out there.

We had the SMS while everyone else I knew had the NES. I've still got some SMS games, but don't have the system anymore.

I hated when the middle plastic part of the d-pad would come off. That was annoying, but easy to fix - just put the piece back in (if you could find where it went) and keep playing.

Quick question for you folks who had a SMS as a kid, were did you buy the games? I never saw them at Walmart, K-Mart or even as rentals in my Blockbuster or the local mom n' pops rental stores.

Maybe because I grew up in a small town but I was seriously shocked to learn Sega had a system before the Genesis. And shocked even more to see it actually looked better.

[quote name='Rodimus']Quick question for you folks who had a SMS as a kid, were did you buy the games? I never saw them at Walmart, K-Mart or even as rentals in my Blockbuster or the local mom n' pops rental stores.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure where we bought our SMS games since my parents bought the games. I think places like Toys R Us, Target, Sears, the Navy Exchange, Electronics Boutique (before they were known as EB Games), Montgomery Ward, and Fedco.

always wanted a master system.... just got a mater gear converter for my genesis a few years back, and it lives in my cdx now

[quote name='ryosnk']I bought my games at Child's World and TRU. My first game I ever bought was Ghost house at Child's world.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I remember Child's World!
I used to love going to that store as a kid. :)

I know you're in the Chicagoland area too (because of the Sweet Home Chicago thread) - did you go to the Child's World that used to be out by Randhurst mall??
That place is such a dump now. :(

Anyway, I had a Master System growing up as well (but admittedly played NES a lot more) along with the 3D glasses!
I actually picked up Maze Hunter 3D and a SMS Power Base Adapter for Genesis last summer and hooked everything up and it worked perfectly. The 3D effects are surprisingly great!

I'd like to track down a set of the 3D SMS games but they seem to be a bit pricey.

Gameboy415, I went to the Childs world that was located on Riverpoint plaza on fullerton. I had a complete 3d SMS set boxed but when i moved it got lost.

I bought a power base converter for the Genesis as soon as it came out just to play the first Phantasy Star. I remember the power base converter was only $35. I think I paid around $80-$90 retail from Sears for Phantasy Star, but it was totally worth it. That game was very ahead of its time and I loved the Sci-fi theme.

About 10 years ago I picked up a complete SMS with 3D glasses and most of the 3D games very cheap from a small local store.

In my opinion the Sonic Genesis collection is totally worth the $20 price for anyone looking to play some of these quality Sega games cheap.

I remember getting one as a kid when I wanted an NES. My mom told me she got the SMS because it had better graphics, but I really had no idea what that meant. My best friend had gotten an NES so it was all good, I could play games for both systems. I lost all my gaming stuff in a house fire about 15 years back though, but have since picked up a boxed SMS at a Goodwill for $20. I remember when I used to beat Alex Kidd in Miracle World almost every day. Now I try to play it and get destroyed.

Also speaking of the 3D games, I would play them, but without the glasses, since they never seemed to work for me. Most games you could turn it off. I remember having to play Space Harrier 3D for a few levels in 3D before you could enter your name and turn it off. I also was able to beat Maze Hunter 3D with no trouble despite it being double vision all the way through.

I never knew the SMS existed as a kid either.

Saw some fairly cheap games at the local Salvation Army a few months ago. Didn't pick them up, because I've never seen a system for sale in person.

[quote name='ryosnk']I just bought these two games.

28a725f1.jpg
bb0bc803.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Woah I never knew there was an SMS version of Aladdin! I love that game on the Genesis! And the other game looks cool because I remember a Ducktales episode based on that.

I had a friend with a SMS and played it pretty frequently as a kid. Our most played title was probably Double Dragon which had 2 player simultaneous unlike the NES port. His mom played Phantasy Star 2. She had what seemed to be a maxed out party. I remember watching her play for awhile and no enemy lasted more than a round against her group.

I recently bought a Sega Master System to finally see one first hand. Growing up nobody even knew what it was, it was just NES -> SNES / Genesis. It's been interesting playing through some of these old games. I'm hoping to stumble upon a decently priced set of the 3d glasses soon.

Sega master system people post any stories or just your favorite games you enjoyed. We should keep this thread up and running.

i got mine brand new as a kid. i was the only one within miles that had it. still got it and still play it even today. busted out some choplifter and space harrier the other day. I think its one of the only system i have ever had that has never given the slightest of issues. even after 20+ years ive never had to fiddle with any aspect of it. cant say that for nintendo.

The SMS was the first console I had all to myself. My brother and I shared a 2600 when they came out. Then my brother got a NES. I couldn't have the same thing as my brother, so I got a SMS for christmas. Loved playing Double Dragon, Hangon/Astrowarrior, F-16 Fighting Falcon and Shinobi.

I sold it after I got a Playstation in the late 90's but picked up a mint replacement 2 years ago. I actually have more games for it now than I did back then. But I'm still looking for a copy of Double Dragon and Shinobi. The SMS wasn't really a popular console so finding titles can be a bit tricky.

just had to say that the sms is still one of my fav systems of all time and let me tell sms soundtracks are the bomb, rival nes any day!

I bought a SMS! Guy on CL was selling a bunch of gaming systems and games. I ran over to see what he had. Among other things I bought, I got a SMS in fantastic shape with two games, one controller, the power and video cables, and the gun. The *only* downside is that the controller doesn't seem to work. I'm guessing it's the pins on the end? I've seen a few YouTube videos of people replacing them. Unsure if I should try and repair it or if I should hunt around for another controller. I need some game recommendatons too, as I'm sure the two I have are crappy! (One is Carmen Sandeigo...the other is a shmup but I don't remember the title.)

go for the classics like phantasy star, space harrier and alex kid.

as for the controller sometimes you can spray contact cleaner in the pins and itll work.

I sold my SMS years ago to a videogame shop that bought old systems...sadly mine was in mint condition because that's how I roll but the power plug wasn't working.

my top 5: (in no particular order)
- Wonderboy in Monsterland
- Miracle Warriors (which I think I still have somewhere)
- Fantasy Zone I & II
- Phantasy Star
- Quartet

I didn't have that many games.

[quote name='ryosnk']Added this gem to my collection.

e223f3cd.jpg
[/QUOTE]

And a gem it is, you lucky son of a....... nice find!

Ghouls N Ghosts is one of the games I still have. I don't have a Master System anymore since my dad gave it away to cousins in the Philippines several years ago. I don't really plan on buying another SMS either, so I've mostly kept the games around for sentimental reasons.

These are the games I still have:

2nr3fiu.jpg

Used to have (but were given away with the system): Hang On & Safari Hunt, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, two Light Phaser guns (or maybe my brother kept one, not sure), Black Belt, TransBot (our only Sega Card game)

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent collection Miranda, man those covers just take me back and Black Belt...omg i remember that game so well, one of my all time favs.

I just watched a speed run of Black Belt on YouTube - the person playing makes it look so effortless. I remember seeing my uncle break a sweat from trying so hard to play through the game.

Watching it now, it does crack me up a little seeing normal enemies break into pieces just from one punch or kick. Still, it was a fun game.

Black Belt speed run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXlNS3biABY

black belt was a bit of a bitch to beat. the last guy really sucked the first few times you got to him. ive got it and still play it but i dont have the patience to beat it again. im itching to fire up phantasy star again but my batteries dead and ive been to lazy to source a new one.

Hey - I had no idea that there was an active Master System thread here on CAG. I love the Master System - That and the Genesis are my favorite old school systems.

I do have a question - I have a model 2 Genesis (I dumped the model 1 way back because the 2 fits the second model Sega CD so much better) and I recently acquired a Power Base Converter - if I were to cut it down to size, would it work with the model 2 Genesis or am I going to have to buy a model 1 genesis to live the dream of not having to choose between master system games and Genesis games?

I got an SMS way back in the too, I was always a fan of it. Phantasy Star was my 1st RPG. To this day, I can still remember staying up late and playing that game on my little B&W tv.

I rented a lot of my games as a kid from SuperAmerica. All my friends had the NES, I was pleased when I went home because I felt I had the better console, more colors, better graphics and better sound too.

I also dug the fact that they made the games on the cards too, it felt cool and unique to have one or a few of those. When I did find a buddy with the SMS, everybody else was like "What game are you talking about?". It was like having a neat little clique.

[quote name='Rodimus']Is there any good box art for a SMS game?[/QUOTE]

not really. they all revolve around the white grid pattern so the tend to be simple overlays.

[quote name='Rodimus']Is there any good box art for a SMS game?[/QUOTE]

Serously the cover contains a picture of the My Hero sega card.....sad. All sega card titles followed the same pattern.

0a327419.jpg
[/img]

Is that microwave on the cover? This did not make sense to 12 year old me.

d3762a5f.jpg
[/img]

Decent covers for SMS games. Maybe because there seems to be some sort of action going on.

44977f7d.jpg
[/img]

Nice comeback on part two.
cb7b9058.jpg
[/img]

I like the grid pattern that most Sega Master System game boxes have, but I agree that the art on many of them is pretty poor.

[quote name='ryosnk']Serously the cover contains a picture of the My Hero sega card.....sad. All sega card titles followed the same pattern.[/QUOTE]

Most copies of Spy Vs Spy don't. There are some European copies of the game that have the hand holding the card image though.

spys.jpg

[quote name='Rodimus']Quick question for you folks who had a SMS as a kid, were did you buy the games? I never saw them at Walmart, K-Mart or even as rentals in my Blockbuster or the local mom n' pops rental stores.

Maybe because I grew up in a small town but I was seriously shocked to learn Sega had a system before the Genesis. And shocked even more to see it actually looked better.[/QUOTE]

I used to get them at a local indoor swapmeet from some asian vendors.

Man that was the shit back in the day. Parents would buy me a game and then we would go to the end of the swapmeet to the ghetto food court for some hot dogs and drinks.

so - what is everyone's favorite Master System game?

I would have to say that mine is Wanted! (it is a light gun game). That game is the whole reason why I keep a CRT TV around (the old lightguns don't work on LCDs).

Wonder Boy III The Dragon's Trap is my favorite. I replayed it a few months ago and it was as fun as it ever was.

My favorite game(s) is a tie between shinobi and double dragon. The arcade versions were both great games and being able to play them at home was plain awesome. Having my friends come over to play some two player DD was just a blast and it was something they couldn't do on their nes version.

An honorable mention would go to Bomber raid and rampage.

[quote name='M_Carp']Hey - I had no idea that there was an active Master System thread here on CAG. I love the Master System - That and the Genesis are my favorite old school systems.

I do have a question - I have a model 2 Genesis (I dumped the model 1 way back because the 2 fits the second model Sega CD so much better) and I recently acquired a Power Base Converter - if I were to cut it down to size, would it work with the model 2 Genesis or am I going to have to buy a model 1 genesis to live the dream of not having to choose between master system games and Genesis games?[/QUOTE]

I've read up on this 'round the net, and my understanding is, you just need to cut away the plastic the covers the plug-ins on the model 2 and all will be well. Let me know if you do that and how it works- I've always wanted to try it but never found a power base cheap enough to do so.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I've read up on this 'round the net, and my understanding is, you just need to cut away the plastic the covers the plug-ins on the model 2 and all will be well. Let me know if you do that and how it works- I've always wanted to try it but never found a power base cheap enough to do so.[/QUOTE]

I was trying for a while to find someone else who had done the mod successfully, but I finally gave up and did it myself. I just did a rough cut with a dremel tool to remove the part that was blocking the ports. I am very happy to report that it works! It is still a tight fit though. it is not bad for a 5-minute fix, but I will probably revisit the job later and see if I can do anything to make it fit just a little better (or at least clean up the cut)

ssc0033.jpg
ssc0032.jpg

[quote name='M_Carp']I was trying for a while to find someone else who had done the mod successfully, but I finally gave up and did it myself. I just did a rough cut with a dremel tool to remove the part that was blocking the ports. I am very happy to report that it works! It is still a tight fit though. it is not bad for a 5-minute fix, but I will probably revisit the job later and see if I can do anything to make it fit just a little better (or at least clean up the cut)[/QUOTE]

Good to see it's a pretty basic cut (I was half-afraid I'd have to do some crazy jigsaw thing.) Is that red stripe paint, rubber, or extra plastic? Just because I know it would bug me for a part of that to be 'missing' and I'd have to fix it somehow...

bread's done
Back