Sega Master System

mdmrn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
So, I'm picking up a Sega master system, 2 controllers, and about 8 games this weekend for around 30 bucks. Any ideas as to what the best places are to look for more games? I'm getting --
Rambo, Rambo 3, Great Ice Hockey, F-16 Fighting Falcon, Pro wrestling, Rocky, Shinobi, Hang On, and Safari Hunt

Nice haul. Ebay is probably your best bet at this point. There is a guy here that sells tons of them there (Nebrazca, or something like that) I bought a lot from him, mostly complete and for great prices. He'll usually advertise when he has an auction up.

So, I'm picking up a Sega master system, 2 controllers, and about 8 games this weekend for around 30 bucks. Any ideas as to what the best places are to look for more games? I'm getting --
Rambo, Rambo 3, Great Ice Hockey, F-16 Fighting Falcon, Pro wrestling, Rocky, Shinobi, Hang On, and Safari Hunt

Nice haul. Ebay is probably your best bet at this point. There is a guy here that sells tons of them there (Nebrazca, or something like that) I bought a lot from him, mostly complete and for great prices. He'll usually advertise when he has an auction up.

Thanks. I don't want to spend too much on them...but I'm mostly looking for some gems like some of the Sonic games, Alex Kidd, etc. You know, things I'm sure will be harder to find. Any other suggestions game-wise? Has anyone played any of the games I'm getting?

I forget but the Master System is lacking the chips that allows various games to produce that FM sound quality of Mark III and Famicom games.

Somebody recently made a device that allows you to hear FM sound in all Master System games. I don't know if it works as a converter for Mark III games.
Check Assembler Forums.

Either way just search here and there and I am sure you will find some good games. On that note most good games on the system was advertisment run a mucks. Meaning without knowing what the heck the game is then you would have no I idea of what you are playing.

also the system is a 16-bit console that would be on par to the Genesis but again lacking certain qaulities.

[quote name='t0llenz']Thanks. I don't want to spend too much on them...but I'm mostly looking for some gems like some of the Sonic games, Alex Kidd, etc. You know, things I'm sure will be harder to find. Any other suggestions game-wise? Has anyone played any of the games I'm getting?[/QUOTE]

I'd recommend any games made by Compile such as Golvellius, Astro Warrior, and Power Strike.

a store near me (in miami, fl) had master system games still new about 4-5 years ago (haven't been back there since) but pricing was msrp + "rarity" markup, which means they checked ebay, found the highest going price, and added that to msrp... it was insane since they wanted $40-$50 for common $1-$5 games...

I just replayed Alex kidd in miracle world and that game is hard as fuck!!! you know what's weird? when I was a kid I was really good at it and beat the game in a week. Now I can't get past the first level. crazy.

i had one growing up, it was awesome make sure to get

wonderboy, the first one
alex kidd in miracle world
pro wrestling
space harrier
outrun
choplifter
action fighter

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RTS']Why hasn't anyone mentioned Phantasy Star I wonder?[/QUOTE]

Probably because most people were listing places to buy Master System games, and not their favorites. But yeah, that would be tops on the system and I don't think many will (or could) argue it.

Unearthed my collection today:

smscollectionmediumtp9.jpg

Nice collection, about 6 months ago I started a topic like this when my PNT got in almost a full SMS collection (without Sonic). I picked up most of the best games, and the rare ones (Power Strike, Alex Kidd in Shinobi Land etc). The best game for the console though, and worth getting ahold of is the import (mine is UK edition) Ninja Gaiden. Its a totally different game and quite challenging. I got mine complete for $10-$15 shipped off ebay but it appears to have gone up. Worth getting, I have asked several times in these topics and it does not appear that any other CAG owns this game.

Also, goes without saying that Phantasy Star is a must buy. Golvellius isn't bad and Monster World III is good also. Another game is Golden Ax Warrior, which I have never played, but I hear its in the same league as Zelda I / Crystalis. Even if its like Neuotopia, then it will be worth playing.

games to get
streetfighter 2 (tectoy brazillian)
shinobi
spiderman
sonic 1
ninja gaiden
r-type
fire & Ice (tectoy brazillian)
crystal dragon
wonder boy

thats all i can really think of at this present time.

Have a SMS console for sale if anyone is interested. Found one at the flea market this week.

Also here is a old pick of my games, I've doubled it since this was taken.

[quote name='Otherguy676']Have a SMS console for sale if anyone is interested. Found one at the flea market this week.

Also here is a old pick of my games, I've doubled it since this was taken.

[/QUOTE]

Some of the best SMS games are right there. And who can resist ALF?! One of the worst games ever... :lol:

all i really have is the system w/gun with Hang on/safari hunt, Double Dragon, a baseball game, and F16 fighter game.

Nothing really special...

I played my SMS games on my Genesis, using the Power Base Converter. I got most of my games at yard sales.
Astro Warrior (missing case)

Black Belt (cart only)
Double Dragon (cart only)
Hang On/Safari Hunt (cart only)
My Hero The Sega Card
Out Run (cart only)
Pro Wrestling (cart only)
Rocky (cart only)
Shinobi (cart only)
Thunder Blade (cart only)

I think Astro Warrior I bought new at Toys R Us in the mid-90's for $10. Although it was from TRU, it was missing the front cover and plastic that held the front cover. My Out Run, purchased at a yard sale, had a sharpie spot on it beside the name. When I rubbed it off, it said "the niger", so I bought it from some racists that couldn't spell apparently. I saw another Light Gun, the Phaser, I think it's called for $5 at a Goodwill, but decided to pass. I really only recall playing Astro Warrior (so-so), Black Belt (a little above average), Rocky (could never beat Drago or was it Clubber Lang?), Shinobi (awesome), and Thunder Blade (pretty good game).

bread's done
Back