SEGA Nomad Screen Issues

BigPopov

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
It's been a good 8 or 9 years since I used my Nomads, so I'm thinking maybe my perception is a little off since I have a nice HDTV now, and generally don't play old games,

Nomad #1's screen seems faded when looking at it directly (head 90 degrees to screen). It gets a great picture when viewed angled away from you, at 45 degrees. This Nomad in question is basically bought brand new never used,

Nomad #2's screen is the same, but it has to be angled downward at about 45 degrees to get a good picture. Same situation, just completely opposite. This is the Nomad I generally used back in the day.

And both seem to blur easily, especially in Sonic. They both have good picture on AV out.

The question is, were Nomads always like this? Blurry on fast moving games and very picky to angles. It seems off to me but I may just be spoiled by new LCDs.

I just checked mine and it has the same issues, they're probably all like that. The screens are sidelit instead of backlit, so they always look faded.

ah yeah I'm reading other similar things from other archives. Looking at it and it seems like trash to me, but I guess that's all the technology could afford at the time.

I'd hate to find my old, original release Gameboy lol

[quote name='BigPopov']And both seem to blur easily, especially in Sonic. They both have good picture on AV out.[/QUOTE]

I remember this about the Nomad, I don't think I ever played any of the Sonic games on my Nomad but I could only imagine how much worse the motion blur would be with any of the Sonic side scrollers.

The back-light on those screens and motion blur really killed my eyes during my youth. At the time I did't care but going back to a Nomad now is nearly impossible after playing games through an emulator on my phone.

Sort of related but I have a mint, bought-new in 2007ish Turbo Express (portable TG-16) and it looks pretty bad just because of the ~16 year old technology going on in that crazy black box. I guess no one really cared back in the day because a color handheld was still very much a new and exciting thing but yeah, it doesn't really hold up.

bread's done
Back