Sega Saturn- U.S or Japanese console?

asianxcore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I might be buying a grey Japanese Sega Saturn this weekend and I had questions for those with a Sega Saturn already.

I am buying the system primarily for puzzle games and 2-D fighting games.

Is there anything from either of those genres that I would missing if I bought that Japanese Saturn instead of a U.S one?

Not that I can think of. The Japanese versions of 2-D Fighters (the ones that came with a RAM card) were the best IMO. The only puzzle games worth owning on the Saturn were Puzzle Fighter and Baku Baku. Assuming you don't mind a little Kanji, you should be fine.

I can't think of any U.S. only titles, but if there are you can always use the swap trick or buy something for the cartridge slot. You might want to buy one more thing though, if you want to play games like xmen vs street fighter you'll need the 4mb ram cartridge.

Thanks for the help!

Most of the copies of X-Men Vs. Street Fighter I have seen on Ebay, come with the RAM cart. So I should be set if I get one of those copies.

As far as puzzle games go, those are great suggestions daphatty. I do hope to pick up a copy of Magical Drop 2 in the future though :)

Do I have to worry about any sort of voltage problems with the AC adapter, with a Japanese Saturn?

You shouldn't have a problem if it's like other consoles. I plug my Japanese PS2 into a regular outlet and it works fine.

japanese products can work on 60hz (north america) or 50hz (europe and au) since half the country is one or the other ( i learned that at work).

*************** talking about puzzle games, what is the tetris like game for the SNES right before the N64 came out? i had a blast with that one. it wasnt tetris 2, but it was addictive as all hell, and it wasnt yoshi's cookie either.

[quote name='stnkygrngo']japanese products can work on 60hz (north america) or 50hz (europe and au) since half the country is one or the other ( i learned that at work).

*************** talking about puzzle games, what is the tetris like game for the SNES right before the N64 came out? i had a blast with that one. it wasnt tetris 2, but it was addictive as all hell, and it wasnt yoshi's cookie either.[/QUOTE]

Wetris?

[quote name='stnkygrngo']the SNES right before the N64 came out? i had a blast with that one. it wasnt tetris 2, but it was addictive as all hell, and it wasnt yoshi's cookie either.[/QUOTE]

Was it Tetris Attack? Did you remember what the puzzle pieces in the game looked like?

Again, thanks for all the replies. If all goes well, I'll be picking up the Japanese Saturn this Saturday. Time to start looking for import games.

I had my Saturn modified with a region switch back when the Saturn was still sold new at retail chains. The switch is supposedly simple to install although I was too scared to do it. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find those instructions on the net.

And as others have already stated, your Japanese Saturn will work just fine in the US. I worked for Sega back then and we had to test using Japanese units.

Definitely go with the Japanese Sega Saturn, Japan has a better selection of Saturn games.

Try to get a system that comes with Japanese controllers, as they are vastly superior to the U.S ones. But if you can't find any, U.S controllers plug into it just fine.

[quote name='asianxcore']I might be buying a grey Japanese Sega Saturn this weekend and I had questions for those with a Sega Saturn already.

I am buying the system primarily for puzzle games and 2-D fighting games.

Is there anything from either of those genres that I would missing if I bought that Japanese Saturn instead of a U.S one?[/QUOTE]

If those are what you're interested in, the only option that makes sense is the Japanese system.

Some obvious game suggestions not mentioned for the other genres are "Grandia", "Radiant Silvergun", "Dungeons and Dragons Collection"(fuck you very much TSR!), "Timegal", "Strahl", "Dracula X"(IF you can get it for cheap. It's technially the best version featureswise and WOULD be gamewise if it was ported properly. A BIG word of warning if you get it, there are points where there's almost crippling slowdown.), "Dragon Force 2", "Vandal Hearts", "Panzer Dragoon Azel"(Japanese version of Saga since I'm sure the American version will be too expensive), "Snatcher", "Policenauts"(I THINK this is on the Saturn), "Lunacy"(U.S. version. Like "Myst" but it's own game. Definitely give it a try) and "Guardian Heroes" and I've BARELY scratched the surface. Oh yeah "Virtual On" is another obvious one.

[quote name='yukine']Try to get a system that comes with Japanese controllers, as they are vastly superior to the U.S ones. But if you can't find any, U.S controllers plug into it just fine.[/QUOTE]

The guy I'm buying the Saturn off of on Craig's List is a collector of Japanese consoles. The original Japanese controllers are included with the Saturn I'm purchasing. I am paying $50 for everything, is that too much? It's for the dark grey Japanese console I believe, near mint/mint.

I never owned a Saturn, so I'm excited about this. Mostly because with my PS2, Dreamcast and upcoming Saturn, I'll get closer to owning all the fighting games I've ever wanted.

[quote name='asianxcore']The guy I'm buying the Saturn off of on Craig's List is a collector of Japanese consoles. The original Japanese controllers are included with the Saturn I'm purchasing. I am paying $50 for everything, is that too much? It's for the dark grey Japanese console I believe, near mint/mint.

I never owned a Saturn, so I'm excited about this. Mostly because with my PS2, Dreamcast and upcoming Saturn, I'll get closer to owning all the fighting games I've ever wanted.[/QUOTE]

As an owner of two US saturns [one totally ripped apart to play copied games, and one mint and fully operational] I can say this

The second version of the American controller is identical to the Japanese controller [it is only the controller included with original US saturns you want to watch out for: horrible d-pad and broken buttons, you can tell the difference by the size, shape, as well as the gloss plastic the controller uses]

There is no need to buy a Japanese Saturn: the Region/Ram Cart combos will let you play any Japanese game available. The only thing you might not be able to do with a US Saturn is maybe the VCD card..but why would you need that?

However, the price for the Japanese Saturn is just right, in fact, it's perfect, some might say it's LOW! The region/ram cart should work both ways and allow you to play US games.

YOU must play Nights into Dreams. Get the controlller and game kit on eBay, as soon as you possibly can. Also look into Legend of Oasis, Dark Savior, and Clockwork Knight 2.

Eh, he could always get a U.S Saturn later down the road for collection purposes, as they are of course, much more common than a Japanese system.

For $50.00, get a Japanese Saturn. I think mine was like $150.00, but that was a few years ago. There is no reason to try and get a U.S Saturn when you're already going to be getting an awesome deal on the Japanese one.

$50 for a Jap Saturn is a sweet deal. I'd be all over that. And Sarang01, you named some great but expensive as hell Saturn games.

The main problem with collecting for the Saturn is all the good games are gonna cost you.

[quote name='Puffa469']
The main problem with collecting for the Saturn is all the good games are gonna cost you.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm slowly starting to find out. The four big 2-D fighters that I want are all within the $30-45 range, complete and in good condition.

I appreciate all the suggestions. I am using the Saturn strictly for puzzle games and for 2-D fighters that didn't make it here, or made it here but in VERY poor ports. So I don't think I'll be buying and non-Import games for this puppy.

Marvel Super Heroes VS. Street Fighter and X-Men VS. Street Fighter come to mind first.

I picked up the Saturn yesterday, it looks brand new. The guy must've taken great care of it.

[quote name='Puffa469']$50 for a Jap Saturn is a sweet deal. I'd be all over that. And Sarang01, you named some great but expensive as hell Saturn games.

The main problem with collecting for the Saturn is all the good games are gonna cost you.[/QUOTE]

Far as I know only 4 of those I mentioned would be expensive. I suggested the Japanese version of Saga because I know it's fairly common in Japan. Silvergun he can always buy the PCB, same goes for "Shadow Over Mysteria".

[quote name='asianxcore']does anyone know where (other than Ebay) I can order Japanese Saturn controllers?

the D-Pad on mine just crapped out[/QUOTE]

http://www.estarland.com/index.asp?page=SegaSaturn&cat=AC&product=14514&q=

all i could find is this, it's the japanese pad but in black [america got the japanese pad about a year into the saturn's life]

but i wish you could do ebay, i searched and there are quite a few deals on original white japanese pads and the black american one i showed you..

god i never realized how hard it is to find these without the systems these days.

[quote name='sarausagi']http://www.estarland.com/index.asp?page=SegaSaturn&cat=AC&product=14514&q=

all i could find is this, it's the japanese pad but in black [america got the japanese pad about a year into the saturn's life]

but i wish you could do ebay, i searched and there are quite a few deals on original white japanese pads and the black american one i showed you..
[/QUOTE]

I don't mind going the Ebay route.

I was just curious if there was a way I could get one faster/cheaper.

I completely agree... I just bought a white Japanese saturn off eBay for £70 (about $140) The games I bought so far are:
Christmas Nights
Xmen vs Streetfighter
Fighters Megamix
Marvel Superheroes
Xmen Children of the Atom
for which I paid £15 ($30). Is that a reasonable price?

Seems like everyone is getting great deals on their Saturns.

I paid $140 for a Japanese Saturn, the hookups, 2 controllers, X-Men: COTM, Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Fighter Remix, Virtura Fighter Kids, Vampire Night, Street Fighter Collection, Deep Fear, Fighting Vipers, Christmas NiGHTS, Last Bronx, KOF '95 w/ ROM cart, KOF '97, and an extra 4MB RAM cart.

bread's done
Back