SEGA sues Level-5 to block Inazuma Eleven sales and seek damages

PimpLimp

CAGiversary!
The story is here. SEGA claims that Level-5 is violating two of their patents on the Nintendo DS in relation to "using specific methods to move characters with a stylus or finger on the touchscreen". SEGA is also seeking 900 million yen/$10.9M in damages.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this was pretty ridiculous myself, that's why I felt the need to share it lol. Level-5 did respond though.

Here's a summary of what they said:
[quote name='Level-5'] Level 5's statement claims that the company is not infringing on Sega's patents. In the statement, Level 5 claims that it released the first game in the Inazuma Eleven franchise on August 2008, and Sega did not acquire the two patents until February 2009 and August 2011, respectively.

Level 5 added that it has analyzed and studied the differences between its methods and Sega's patents, and has concluded that it has not violated the patents. Level 5 also said that even though it has not violated the patents, the patents themselves cover a basic operation for touchscreen games nowadays, and Sega's lawsuit will negatively impact the video game industry's growth by limiting its options. Level 5 added that, as a member of the same industry, the lawsuit itself makes the company "feel uncomfortable."
[/QUOTE]

bread's done
Back