Select Blu-ray Boxsets on sale at Best Buy

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Best Buy has dropped the price on several Blu-ray Box sets, all coming from Fox I believe.

Online:

Alien Anthology - $39.99
Coen Brothers Collection - $19.99 (Deal of the Week)
Die Hard Collection - $29.99
Man With No Name Trilogy - $19.99
Mel Brooks Collection - $39.99
Robocop Trilogy - $19.99
X-Men Trilogy (9 Discs) - $29.99 (Note: The individual movies are $9.99 each and come with movie cash to see Prometheus so it's the better deal if you want that)

In-Store:

Planet of the Apes 5-Film collection - $29.99
Rocky Collection - $29.99

There's possibly more too, feel free to let me know and I'll add them. If the links don't work, just search for them on the site

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have any luck finding the rocky set? My best buy said they haven't had them in stock for a long time for some reason. Tried putting in a price match at amazon in the mean time since I can't find it on the site either. (yeah even though op says in-store)

[quote name='ssjmichael']How so? The picture quality ratings for the set at Blu-ray.com is 4/5, same for audio quality. They aren't reference quality obviously and probably never could be, but they're far from being poor transfers.
[/QUOTE]

My bad, I was looking here:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Coen-Brothers-Collection-Blu-ray/25115/

And that's just one user review rather than the official review that you have to click on lower on the page. There are some negative user reviews on Amazon as well for whatever reason. But never mind! Looks like the transfers are fine. :D

I'll still pass as I'm not huge into these early Coen brother's flicks and just generally need to stop buying movies as I rarely watch any of the 300 some movies I own since I struggle just to keep up with a disc or two from netflix a week.

eH.....when you described the new box I was picturing a standard size box with each movie in its own slim case similar to the Matrix set
if it's like that Rocky set I think I'm going to pass for now. May get it if it goes cheaper or I can find the book one cheap.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']eH.....when you described the new box I was picturing a standard size box with each movie in its own slim case similar to the Matrix set
if it's like that Rocky set I think I'm going to pass for now. May get it if it goes cheaper or I can find the book one cheap.[/QUOTE]

I'm really sorry about that. When I first posted my response to you I thought it was a box set with individual cases based on someone's description at blu-ray.com. But then someone else said it's just like the Rocky Undisputed set so that's definitely not what I originally pictured. I've edited my original response so as not to confuse/mislead anyone else.

[quote name='pk24']Anyone have any luck finding the rocky set? My best buy said they haven't had them in stock for a long time for some reason. Tried putting in a price match at amazon in the mean time since I can't find it on the site either. (yeah even though op says in-store)[/QUOTE]

I saw rocky set for dvd, but not blu ray.

FYI- Bluray.com said rocky wasnt that great transfer. It was alright.

I was debating about Rocky set, but was hoping maybe they will release a updated/ better transfer????

I also like Rock 3,4. For some reason I think Rocky 5 was more like Rocky 1.
(3 and 4 was great.)

[quote name='The Punisher']

I also like Rock 3,4. For some reason I think Rocky 5 was more like Rocky 1.
(3 and 4 was great.)[/QUOTE]

In my opinion Rocky 1 = The best, and Rocky 5 = The worst.

I already had Rocky 1 and Rocky Balboa on blu-ray from Blockbuster. During the upgrade and save promotion last week I bought Rocky 2, 3, and 4 for $5 a piece. I didn't buy Rocky 5, but the price was $5 higher than the others. It was a little difficult to sit through Rocky 5 once. It reminds me of watching Rambo 3.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']In my opinion Rocky 1 = The best, and Rocky 5 = The worst.

I already had Rocky 1 and Rocky Balboa on blu-ray from Blockbuster. During the upgrade and save promotion last week I bought Rocky 2, 3, and 4 for $5 a piece. I didn't buy Rocky 5, but the price was $5 higher than the others. It was a little difficult to sit through Rocky 5 once. It reminds me of watching Rambo 3.[/QUOTE]

LOL. True.

I would like to get rocky collection ,but blu ray.com said the transfer wasnt that great.

I just a blu ray last week Sony S580.
I also got some blu ray at Blockbuster closeout. (Nintendo DS Lite New) I miss Blockbuster :(

Now I don't have to rely on that Rocky vid anymore as a comparison. Here's some pics posted at blu-ray.com for the Mel Brooks Collection

34867pv.jpg

rlkn86.jpg

2z5vcz4.jpg

more here: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=6155844&postcount=181

Either way just to own the set. I never bought any past the first rocky, mainly cause I was strapped for cash..almost always. Now I roll in it So I splurge in bursts.

Yeah there's no book in this one, just a booklet. I have no idea if the booklet has all the same info found in the book but in a smaller format, but I doubt it. I'll try and find more info about it and post back

[quote name='pk24']Either way just to own the set. I never bought any past the first rocky, mainly cause I was strapped for cash..almost always. Now I roll in it So I splurge in bursts.[/QUOTE]
lolwut?

[quote name='pk24']Either way just to own the set. I never bought any past the first rocky, mainly cause I was strapped for cash..almost always. Now I roll in it So I splurge in bursts.[/QUOTE]

Ballin.gif

Thanks OP. I picked up the Coen Brothers set today for $19.99. I couldn't resist even though Fargo and Raising Arizona are on the premium movie channels all the time (saw raising arizona on there today).

I went to three best buys today (looking for guides) and two stores were sold out. Luckily the third store had 2 copies left. One copy was on an endcap. There were a couple more bluray boxsets on sale on the endcap that aren't listed on the OP. I can't remember, but I don't think there was anything too amazing.

Had my Alien Anthology and Mel Brooks collection arrive today. Oh wait, nope they shipped me the first two seasons of House accidently. fucking Best Buy.

Checked the end cap sales tags on the box sets last night and it appears that the sales ends on 6/23. Several tags had that date.

On a side note, all of the Alien movies are also on sale for $9.99 and include the $10 movie code to see Prometheus.

[quote name='furyk']Had my Alien Anthology and Mel Brooks collection arrive today. Oh wait, nope they shipped me the first two seasons of House accidently. fucking Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that sucks really hard. I hope BB fixes your order and compensates you for the inconvenience with a giftcard or rewardzone certificate or something.

[quote name='Havokscry']Checked the end cap sales tags on the box sets last night and it appears that the sales ends on 6/23. Several tags had that date.

On a side note, all of the Alien movies are also on sale for $9.99 and include the $10 movie code to see Prometheus.[/QUOTE]

interesting.........

do they have all 4 Alien movies available as individual releases? May go this route.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']interesting.........

do they have all 4 Alien movies available as individual releases? May go this route.[/QUOTE]

Just a heads up if you do go that route, you'll be missing out on the bonus feature disc that only comes in the anthology package. If you're not interested in special features, then carry on.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']interesting.........

do they have all 4 Alien movies available as individual releases? May go this route.[/QUOTE]

They do. I was considering buying the box set and then saw all four individual :br:s with $10 movie ticket stickers on them.

Is the Man With No Name trilogy worth the upgrade from DVD right now or will we likely get an Italian-quality release in the US at some point?
I'm very tempted but might just grab Once Upon A Time In The West for now.

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']Is the Man With No Name trilogy worth the upgrade from DVD right now or will we likely get an Italian-quality release in the US at some point?
I'm very tempted but might just grab Once Upon A Time In The West for now.[/QUOTE]

didnt that end last week?

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']didnt that end last week?[/QUOTE]
I think they just mean is it worth getting the blu-ray if they already have the DVD.

[quote name='GreyFox787']The Blu-ray doesn't include the 4th film that the DVD Anthology had, so there's that to consider.[/QUOTE]

I have this set now. Wondering if the Blu-ray video quality makes it worth upgrading now. Or would it be best to wait for an Italian-quality release available (or at least playable) in the US?
Only speaking for these three films themselves. I don't care about packaging at all.

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']I have this set now. Wondering if the Blu-ray video quality makes it worth upgrading now. Or would it be best to wait for an Italian-quality release available (or at least playable) in the US?
Only speaking for these three films themselves. I don't care about packaging at all.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I thought you might have had this one. It includes Duck, You Sucker in addition to the trilogy. According to this review, the Blu-ray trilogy is probably the best it will look for now...

[quote name='ssjmichael']I wish Duck, You Sucker (aka Fistful of Dynamite) was on blu[/QUOTE]

For anyone with premium cable, they've been showing this movie a lot this month on the MGM HD channel. I agree I wish it was part of the bundle.

finally found a store with alien anthology in stock!! Success! Almost considered picking up the Coen Brothers set due to the sheer rock bottom price but wasn't really too impressed with the box.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']You'd think the X-Men trilogy would have Spider-Man tickets ;P[/QUOTE]

Isn't one own by fox and the other by Sony?

I am sure Disney is itching to get those properties back (don't know how that deal worked but I am sure they would love to get another cash cow to abuse)

I want to get the rocky set but couldn't find it at best buy. I wonder if somebody would grab me a set if they happen to see one at their best buy. Id pay for the set, shipping and tracking via paypal. Let me know. Thanks.

bread's done
Back