Sell me on a psp

udabenshen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I found a really good deal on Craigslist for a psp 3000 with a hefty sized memory stick. I am mildly interested, but wonder if I won't play it much. Sell me on some games and applications of the psp that would be worth it. By the way I have a ps3, 360, gaming pc, ps2, and ds lite. Sell me on it.

ps. I hope this isn't flamebait crap. I don't find CAG to be like gaf or anything like that.

I wouldn't bother. I have one and haven't touched it in 4+ years. I got tired of buying games only to have them say 'update' and not work. I don't like buying broken games so that was the end of it. Emulation is nice but if you have a laptop that's a much better solution (get a controller adapter).

Now that the new one pretty much does away with its few uses I've even less interest in adding a Go to my collection. It's DS all the way.

[quote name='DPsx7']I wouldn't bother. I have one and haven't touched it in 4+ years. I got tired of buying games only to have them say 'update' and not work. I don't like buying broken games so that was the end of it. Emulation is nice but if you have a laptop that's a much better solution (get a controller adapter).

Now that the new one pretty much does away with its few uses I've even less interest in adding a Go to my collection. It's DS all the way.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that seems to be the thing i keep on hearing. Thanks for the advice. Anyone else out there?

Get a PSP 2000 or 3000. There are some really great games out on the system and they look and play amazing. I usually play for about an hour every night before bed, great way to wind down. I always take it with me on trips or when I know I'll be waiting for a bit (GF's Dr. appointments). The great thing is you can get one for cheap on Dell.com with the 15% off when they have it up, and the games are pretty cheap these days (used).

madden on psp is great. and gta games, daxter, ratchet and clank. many other games are very good. it does have good games, question is are there enough games you are interested in to warrant purchase. me personally, i play madden alot, that's about it. otherwise i just play 360

Bought mine back in June...and haven't really played much on it.

Mainly, I got a deal. And that's that. I need to get some exclusives worth playing, but I just don't see much to interest me.

If you are on the fence, you'll probably fall the same way I did.

I watch movies on it on plane rides or any long trip. Again, good for emulation and a good line up coming (LBP, GT5, GoW, etc...)

Picked up the God of War PSP when it came out. Played through GoW, a bit of Silent Hill, a little of Crisis Core.. and it's been collecting dust for months. Not worth it.

Honestly, skip it. Put your money towards other things. You will enjoy the PSP at first, and then after a number of months, you wiill get bored with it and not touch it like everyone else that owns it. (either that or they turn to piracy)

Well.....hmmmm.... there's the whole homebrew scene, but don't know if you wanna go into the whole legal issue thing...... if you do though, buy a 2000 series psp instead of a 3000 series and find out the more about homebrew.

Yeah, I think I'll just put the money towards my gamefly account. Thanks everyone for the info.

Now if only they made a Patapon ps3 game...

I like my psp as much as my ds nowadays. The ds used to be miles ahead but the psp has almost caught up in my eyes. I've mainly been playing the hotshots 2 psp game, darkstalkers, crash bandicoot 3, and final fantasy 7. I got logans shadow for 10 bucks last year and am about to crack that open.

I recently bought a PSP and a decent number of games, but I haven't had time for any of them... except monster hunter! Addicting as hell and so very frustrating, but fair, and tons of fun.

I've got 50+ hours on Monster Hunter alone so far.

So, if you don't have a Wii, PSP and I guess PS2 are the only way you're going to get in on the Monster Hunter lovin'.

Don't even bother. Save your money. You won't play it. I had one from 05-08 and I would go months at a time without turning it on.

i don't have one, but i don't see how it suffers lack of good games...?

i've bought plenty of psp games waiting for the day i actually get one, and the selection seems to be decent...i mean, if you have a ds lite and you feel it's a worthwhile system, i don't see why the same couldn't be said about the psp. quite frankly, i've gotten tired of ds games.

PSP's game catalog is great and is only going to get better. check out the games coming out for it this year and next year. I wouldn't recommend skipping out on this system's games, but then again it depends on what type of games you like.

It might be better to wait for the PSP2. how long you'll have to wait is unknown, but the umd is dead and buried, you'll only be able to use them on your PSP-x000.

Sorry but you don't really give us much to go on. What type of games do you like to play? How much time do you spend playing games? Do you have long commute times, travel for work, or a boring job ?

I will say this for PSP if you do get it, use the headphones. The sounds on most of these games are incredible and really help focus you on the gaming experience. Like most portable game systems it is best in short burst of 30 minutes to a hour or two. I think racing games on the PSP, are excellent, the Syphon Filter games are top notch and are comparable to console systems. The fighting games are tremendous. Puzzle games like puzzle quest, lumines, and crush are awesome. Platforming games like daxter and prinny are quite fun. Strategy RPGs like Joan d arc, disgaea are very good. If you like Sports I think the PSP has the best portable versions. And for a really great game I really recommend Pirates as I think it has a very high replay value.

Plus there are many download games with more added every week. The connectivity and remote play features are really cool if you have a PS3.

As for people who say they stopped playing theirs after a few months this has been the case for me based on other activities in my life but I do come back to it and have been playing more recently as the number of games has picked up. But this is true of my DS, 360, and PS3 as well.

In summary I would recommend a PSP based on: Diverse library of games in all genres, incredible sound design that really enhances gameplay, and growing download content/PS3 interaction. I have had one since launch and have not regretted my purchase.

It does have other features: Storing photos, limited internet browser, skype ability (haven't tested it though), download and watch movies or umd movies, music player, and internet radio (which I think is really cool) also I use it to listen to cagcast and other rss podcast.

im going to get a the psp rockband bundle on lockerz and unfortanetly they dont have the hannah montanna lilac bundle if any wants to once I have enough ptz for it (need 70 ptz to go) ill trade them the rockband bundle for a hannah montanna i like the psp i dont think ill play the movie or the game lol i just want the lilac psp

[quote name='doodofdoods']the umd is dead and buried, you'll only be able to use them on your PSP-x000.[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree with this for now. While UMD movies may be dead because Sony most likely shot themselves in the foot by pricing them the same as DVDs, the games will still be released on UMD. There may be a few download only titles such as Patapon 2 and the minis.

[quote name='davidjinfla']Sorry but you don't really give us much to go on. What type of games do you like to play? How much time do you spend playing games? Do you have long commute times, travel for work, or a boring job ?

I will say this for PSP if you do get it, use the headphones. The sounds on most of these games are incredible and really help focus you on the gaming experience. Like most portable game systems it is best in short burst of 30 minutes to a hour or two. I think racing games on the PSP, are excellent, the Syphon Filter games are top notch and are comparable to console systems. The fighting games are tremendous. Puzzle games like puzzle quest, lumines, and crush are awesome. Platforming games like daxter and prinny are quite fun. Strategy RPGs like Joan d arc, disgaea are very good. If you like Sports I think the PSP has the best portable versions. And for a really great game I really recommend Pirates as I think it has a very high replay value.

Plus there are many download games with more added every week. The connectivity and remote play features are really cool if you have a PS3.

As for people who say they stopped playing theirs after a few months this has been the case for me based on other activities in my life but I do come back to it and have been playing more recently as the number of games has picked up. But this is true of my DS, 360, and PS3 as well.

In summary I would recommend a PSP based on: Diverse library of games in all genres, incredible sound design that really enhances gameplay, and growing download content/PS3 interaction. I have had one since launch and have not regretted my purchase.

It does have other features: Storing photos, limited internet browser, skype ability (haven't tested it though), download and watch movies or umd movies, music player, and internet radio (which I think is really cool) also I use it to listen to cagcast and other rss podcast.[/QUOTE]

davidjinfla has nailed this subject with his post. Kudos to his good summary.

I have only had my PSP for 10 months, and for me the PSP has been great for killing time when I have no other entertainment. There are a lot of good games out that I enjoyed playing. My short list is PuzzleQuest, Ratchet & Clank, Pirates!, Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron, Resistance: Retribution, Syphon Filter, Grand Theft Auto, and Final Fantasy: Dissidia. I still have a bunch of other games in my backlog to keep me going for a while and the release list for games this year is excellent.

Other things I use my PSP for is watching TV shows and movies, the internet browser (there are a few websites that are formatted to display nicely on the PSP or do not have too much data to load), and listen to RSS podcasts. I would use it for music if did not already have a 30GB mp3 player.

I just put my PSP in a carrying case that also holds 6 UMDs plus the 1 in the PSP drive thus giving me a traveling library of 7 games + what is on my memory stick.

I do recommend wearing headphones for better sound quality.

I think you could help push yourself off the fence if you determined when you could play and for how long, i.e. riding the bus, other predetermined periods of time you will need to kill while waiting for something or someone regularly, etc. Compile a list of PSP games that are in the genres you like to play and see if you can come up with about 10 games that interest you.

I bought the PS2 version of many PSP games. Honestly I don't see how big or complicated games can work on such a small device with only one analog nub. I'm hoping more make the jump too (even to PS3) as I'd like to try the GoW and Crisis Core games. Handhelds should be for small doses of gaming, you know? The DS has it right. The PSP just seems to want to copy PS2 and that's not always goihg to work well.

[quote name='DPsx7']I bought the PS2 version of many PSP games. Honestly I don't see how big or complicated games can work on such a small device with only one analog nub. I'm hoping more make the jump too (even to PS3) as I'd like to try the GoW and Crisis Core games. Handhelds should be for small doses of gaming, you know? The DS has it right. The PSP just seems to want to copy PS2 and that's not always goihg to work well.[/QUOTE]

Except for shooters, most games don't use the second analog stick in a meaningful way.

To the OP: I have both a DS Lite and PSP 2000. I prefer the PSP because it has the games that suit my tastes. My advice would be to look up the top 50 or so games on metacritic and see if think about whether or not you'd enjoy those games.

Also, being able to play PS1 games on the PSP is awesome.

bread's done
Back