Selling items through Craigslist- need advice

monash65

CAGiversary!
Was wondering if anyone has experience selling products through CL to a complete newbie. What is the typical way of accepting payment (I know eBay uses Paypal, but is that the normal method here)?

And I've been looking at a lot of listings of similar products that are already posted, nobody seems to mention shipping or how they will get the product to the customer... Is this something that you discuss with the potential customer when they email you? Is it normal for them to lose interest if your cost of delivery is too high?

Also, is it inadvisable to give your home phone number to people, and use email primarily instead? How do you spot flakes?

Just curious if anyone has any advice on this. Thanks in advance for any help.

Local only, cash, and email first, but if they're serious and provide a local number, I'll call them or give them my number.

Craigslist is mainly for selling/buying locally. Always cash, good idea to have someone else with you if there's a lot of money involved. Signs of a flake - too many back and forth emails. A lot of people lose interest and it's part of posting on Craigslist. I've also had people haggle price when we met up. Just have to be firm about everything - set a place, time, and agreed price.

Someone did contact me once to have a game shipped. I asked for a USPS money order and everything went smoothly.

If people are asking to pay you through Paypal for high value items I'd be very wary. A lot of scams are conducted through Paypal without a site like eBay that provides seller protection.

Don't go alone, and make sure you meet in a well-lit public place, such as a gas station or retail store. Expect to deal with only cash.

Know what you want & tell them clearly in the post
"Selling ____ for $300"
If it's a negotiable price then say $325 from the start then allow them to haggle down tp $300 but once you get there make a stand. "$300 & you can have it tomorrow lets meet at the mall ASAP before someone else comes along & offers $325"
Move the transaction from talk to deal people who are "kicking tires" will bail.

cash only meet at the mall

When I've sold on CL I'd meet them at a shopping center and communicated that it was cash only. Never ship and never accept anything but cash on CL. Money orders, checks, gift cards etc are risky.

Exchange emails and if it seems legit send them your number. Encourage them to call you to finalize the exchange.

When I sold items I usually gave them my business card and told them to call me with any problems. It makes you seem more honest if you offer up where you work.

Be warned, Craigslist is a pretty frugal environment. Expect a lot of low ball offers, some might even be insultingly low. I've used it since the early 2000s. I used to sell more often on CL, but I've found in the last 3 to 4 years that a lot of people will flake out. Then there are those who want you to travel to them. And like I mentioned there are some cheap people on there.

Make your ads clear and concise enough to avoid any unexpected haggling bullshit before you close the deal. If your price is firm, stick to it. If you're willing to trade then be about it. If you're OBO (or best offer) then be reasonable because far too many people consider CL to be nothing more than an online Goodwill. Don't expect to sell something the first week(s) of a posting unless your item is in high demand, good to great condition and the price is reasonably to super low.

Always agree to meet in a public place during the day, bring someone along if you can't, or forget about the deal period. Always deal in cold hard cash and stay local, no exceptions. If you don't plan to drive to them/prefer they come to you then make that KNOWN in the ad beforehand otherwise you're wasting each others time. Keep your real phone number out of the ad until you're comfortable to give it to them via e-mail otherwise it's at your own risk. Remember: public place or no deal - no exceptions.

Expect a lot of flakes and excessive silences/response times regardless of your ad. It comes with the territory. Same with paranoid/skeptical types who double and triple check out merch to make sure it isn't stolen. It simply is what it is.

Oh, and the most important rule of all: Never trust anyone and double/triple count your cash BEFORE you leave.

Everyone else here has given great advice so i'll say to expect this.

Expect a lot of dummies that don't understand how to read your buying instructions properly.

Example...your selling a set of games for $200 and you say under no circumstances will you break this up or change the price..its all or nothing and the price is firm(you can even use capital letters to emphasize) and tell them please dont message you if thats all they want to ask you. You make sure to make this clear as possible but expect a dozen emails asking you to break something up or lower the price.

[quote name='Halo05']Try not to get shanked.[/QUOTE]

The OP is practically guaranteed to avoid those types if they listen to everyone who has posted thus far in this thread. I've sold shit on CL often and on since '07 - '08 and the worst I've ever dealt with besides forum police getting my ads removed because they didn't care for the price were ordinary e-mail flakes. Everyone else has been sane parents buying games for their kids/themselves or teenagers looking for a good deal.

Being firm on the price, only dealing in cash and meeting at a public place during the day is the best criminal repellant you can ask for online. Professionals and amateurs alike will generally steer clear of you. If you really want to be dick then make the meeting place a hospital or mall food court.

I almost forgot if the other two most important rules besides common sense: Be honest about the condition of your shit in your ads/stick to your story and bring a receipt to speed up the process. Paranoid types won't bother giving you the third degree while buyers with an IQ higher than a toothpick will bolt otherwise. I'm constantly astonished by how many people forgo opening cases/boxes entirely to slap cash in your hand and "take your word" for it once they realize you aren't a serial killer. Especially if they brought someone with them. It's hilariously stupid.

[quote name='monash65']Was wondering if anyone has experience selling products through CL to a complete newbie. What is the typical way of accepting payment (I know eBay uses Paypal, but is that the normal method here)?[/QUOTE]

CASH, MUH FUGGA! Nothing but straight cold hard cash, in US Dollars. Though gold, silver, and other precious metals as well as diamonds and other precious gems will suffice as well.

[quote name='monash65']And I've been looking at a lot of listings of similar products that are already posted, nobody seems to mention shipping or how they will get the product to the customer... Is this something that you discuss with the potential customer when they email you? Is it normal for them to lose interest if your cost of delivery is too high? [/QUOTE]

Usually most transactions are done in a public location in person, face to face. I wouldn't purchase or try to sell anything that has to be shipped, too much risk of getting ripped off either way.

[quote name='monash65']Also, is it inadvisable to give your home phone number to people, and use email primarily instead? How do you spot flakes?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't give out my home number. I might give them one of my office numbers that doesn't accept incoming calls/is unlisted and shows up blocked, or a pay as you go/throwaway mobile phone. But mainly I communicate by email. Weed out flakes by requesting they provide a contact phone number in their email reply to your ad. Listen to the advice already posted in this thread, it's invaluable to dealing on craigslist.

bread's done
Back