Selling my Xbox 360. What happens to my unused MS Points, downloaded games, etc.?

ericseat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Let me first state that I love my Xbox 360. I purchased an Elite model in the summer and while I've thoroughly enjoyed it, games in general have become too much of a distraction in my life and I could stand to pay off some bills, so I'm considering putting the console up on eBay. I know this post probably won't make me too popular on this board, but I'm not sure where else to look for help.

I'm guessing all of the things associated with my gamertag will go to waste if I sell the 360, but I was wondering if there were any alternatives. Does anyone know if there's anything I can do with my unused MS points, downloaded games, and other gamertag-related stuff? Is there a way I can let the buyer use my gamertag without risk of giving out credit card and personal information if I change information associated with it?

I also have several months on my 12-month XBL Gold subscription. If I cancel with MS, can get partially reimbursed?

I also purchased a warranty at Best Buy when I bought the console (kinda useless, I know). Will that warranty get transferred to the buyer, or does that become null if the console's sold?

If anyone knows of a link to a source or FAQ that details all this information, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

[quote name='ericseat']Let me first state that I love my Xbox 360. I purchased an Elite model in the summer and while I've thoroughly enjoyed it, games in general have become too much of a distraction in my life and I could stand to pay off some bills, so I'm considering putting the console up on eBay. I know this post probably won't make me too popular on this board, but I'm not sure where else to look for help.

I'm guessing all of the things associated with my gamertag will go to waste if I sell the 360, but I was wondering if there were any alternatives. Does anyone know if there's anything I can do with my unused MS points, downloaded games, and other gamertag-related stuff? Is there a way I can let the buyer use my gamertag without risk of giving out credit card and personal information if I change information associated with it?

I also have several months on my 12-month XBL Gold subscription. If I cancel with MS, can get partially reimbursed?

I also purchased a warranty at Best Buy when I bought the console (kinda useless, I know). Will that warranty get transferred to the buyer, or does that become null if the console's sold?

If anyone knows of a link to a source or FAQ that details all this information, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.[/quote]

I don't see why you would get flamed for selling your 360, life happens and we all (hopefully) realize that.

From what I know, you cannot transfer your unused MS points to other accounts. I also wouldn't want someone else using my gamertag, but that is just a personal opinion of mine. However, if you have any friends with 360s and XBOX live, you may be able to transfer your remaining XBOX live days to their account.

As for the warranty, im not too sure if your buyer will be able to use it, assuming that they are store specific. If its a no questions asked warranty, maybe you could swap out your used 360, get a new one and sell that to get a maximum profit?

all the downloaded content stays with the profile....chenge all of the information attached to the profile to the buyer's info and delete your credit card info from it.

your buddy *should* be ok as long as you give him the receipt....but either way the MS warranty is still good

If you are into music and whatnot, you can use your Microsoft Points on the Zune Marketplace.

You won't get any money back for time still on your XBL Gold Membership.

The warranty may be transferable provided you give the person who buys it the receipt, but I wouldn't recommend doing that if it has any personal information on it, even if that info is just a reward zone card number.

I'd also recommend just deleting the account off the 360 and remember the msn/hotmail you linked to it, so you can retrieve your gamertag should you decide to pickup a 360 again, or if like I said earlier you want to get some stuff on Zune Marketplace.

[quote name='Ryukahn']If you are into music and whatnot, you can use your Microsoft Points on the Zune Marketplace.

You won't get any money back for time still on your XBL Gold Membership.

The warranty may be transferable provided you give the person who buys it the receipt, but I wouldn't recommend doing that if it has any personal information on it, even if that info is just a reward zone card number.

I'd also recommend just deleting the account off the 360 and remember the msn/hotmail you linked to it, so you can retrieve your gamertag should you decide to pickup a 360 again, or if like I said earlier you want to get some stuff on Zune Marketplace.[/quote]

On the original XBOX, you could transfer the remaining XBL days to other accounts.

[quote name='help1']On the original XBOX, you could transfer the remaining XBL days to other accounts.[/quote]
He asked if there was a way to get some money back by cancelling though, which he can't do. Assuming that feature is on the 360, I guess he could see if a friend wanted to buy the remaining time, but I've never heard of a feature for the 360 that lets you transfer gold time and MS points. If someone knows how please post it as I have lots of points and some time I doubt I'll be using anytime soon.

[quote name='Ryukahn']He asked if there was a way to get some money back by cancelling though, which he can't do. Assuming that feature is on the 360, I guess he could see if a friend wanted to buy the remaining time, but I've never heard of a feature for the 360 that lets you transfer gold time and MS points. If someone knows how please post it as I have lots of points and some time I doubt I'll be using anytime soon.[/quote]

Well, with the XBOX 1, you had to call the 1-800-4MY-XBOX reps, and even then it wasn't guaranteed they would transfer it. He cannot be refunded for any cash value.

bread's done
Back