Selling on Amazon for 1 penny?

spmahn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Can someone explain to me the logic behind people that list items like books or games on Amazon for 1 penny? Does Amazon give discounts to sellers who sell in greater volume making it worth it? It's not like they are making money on the shipping either, so what's the deal with this?

Its actually a wise idea to sell an item for 1 penny on amazon if something they are selling is worth less than $4. This is because they don't pay any fees to amazon for the 1 penny and get the $4 shipping credit without seller fees. Amazon don't take a cut of shipping costs unlike eBay.

[quote name='htz']Its actually a wise idea to sell an item for 1 penny on amazon if something they are selling is worth less than $4. This is because they don't pay any fees to amazon for the 1 penny and get the $4 shipping credit without seller fees. Amazon don't take a cut of shipping costs unlike eBay.[/QUOTE]

This isn't true. Fees get taken out anyway.

If you sell a penny book, you'll get a shipping allowance of 3.99 but Amazon still takes $1.35 out for closing fees. You get $2.65 to ship the book. Media mail is $2.47 for the pound. You basically "make" 18 cents. Maybe a little more if you are a bulk seller with reduced fees. But cost of bubble mailer means practically nothing. Or nothing anyone would want to waste time doing.

It's mainly for the feedback. And as someone pointed out to me in another thread, it's to be able to quickly move the books you get in the b&m store for trade without losing money.

[quote name='confoosious']This isn't true. Fees get taken out anyway.

If you sell a penny book, you'll get a shipping allowance of 3.99 but Amazon still takes $1.35 out for closing fees. You get $2.65 to ship the book. Media mail is $2.47 for the pound. You basically "make" 18 cents. Maybe a little more if you are a bulk seller with reduced fees. But cost of bubble mailer means practically nothing. Or nothing anyone would want to waste time doing.

It's mainly for the feedback. And as someone pointed out to me in another thread, it's to be able to quickly move the books you get in the b&m store for trade without losing money.[/QUOTE]
Guess I'm wrong, sounds about right for the feedback. I rarely get feedback from my transactions on amazon, unlike on eBay I get one from almost every transaction.

It might work for really lightweight items, such as Gameboy cartridges. I've seen shipping on those as low as $1.71. Get yourself some bubblemailers in bulk and you might be able to swing 50-60 cents per unit.

Is the Feedback really that important? I don't really think Feedback is featured nearly as prominently on Amazon as it is on eBay, but maybe I'm just not paying enough attention.

[quote name='spmahn']So am I reading this right, people who are selling books for a penny don't really value their time and are just idiots trolling for feedback? Based on what I read from the first few pages, seems like they'd either be losing money, or make such a miniscule one that it isn't worth it.[/QUOTE]

It might not be worth it to me or you; but if you have a huge inventory and have things automated with printed labels / shipping where you don't have to wait in line at the post office, 50 cents or a $1 an item can effectively be free money. Another thing is if you have a minimum wage worker...how many packages can they get ready in about an hour?

[quote name='spmahn']So am I reading this right, people who are selling books for a penny don't really value their time and are just idiots trolling for feedback? Based on what I read from the first few pages, seems like they'd either be losing money, or make such a miniscule one that it isn't worth it.[/QUOTE]

They don't care about the margins on these items, but rather the margins on other items. The more you sell, the more breaks amazon gives you. It's not like anyone has a business model to sell only penny books.

Some of the sellers are kind of nuts for feedback; I ordered a new book that had big-ass folds on the back cover, left a neutral, and the seller pretty much ran out with their fire engine and offered a 50% refund if only I would remove the horrible, horrible neutral I placed on them.

Actually, I was kinda surprised at their level of customer service, if it were me selling I would've ate the neutral as constructive criticism and kept on marching.

I have been wondering about this for a while too. I'd rather throw out the item than go to the trouble of listing it and processing it to make $0.27.

bread's done
Back