Selling on Craigslist?

TiKi2

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I haven't sold anything on craigslist , so I wouldn't know the best way to approach it. I was looking to sell my netbook and possibly a necklace. Where is the best place to meet someone up for this sort of thing?

For small things like that I typically meet at a starbucks or gas station. Preferably during the day, but choose a well-lit location if it will be even close to dark.

I'd be extra careful selling a necklace as it would be easy to run off with it before payment.

I have not sold many things on craigslist, but I have bought at least a dozen or so items.

My best advice is to try and communicate as much as possible, both through e-mail and the telephone. You really have to have good judgement and try and figure out if you are dealing with an honest normal person or some lunatic trying to rip you off.

Fortunately for me I have never dealt with anyone who was too crazy or weird.

people are so scared of craigslist lol. I've sold hundreds of things on there and not once has someone pulled a gun on me. I use my garage.
it gives me the convenience to test things out that im selling and buying.

When I sell something I have people come get it at my house. It is just easier. Especially since 90% of the people you get wanting to buy it will be some scammer or some child acting like a fool it will save you trouble of going to meet someone and not have them show.

The getting robbed using Craigslist is just one of those myths. It may have happened a few times but youre more likely to be robbed walking out of your grocery store. I wouldnt worry about that.

I've met people in grocery store parking lots, had them come to my house, and met at starbucks. I love Craigslist and have never had any problems.

You guys are lucky. I have 2 horror stories from Craigslist that would make you think twice about ever selling on there again.

The 1st one was when I bought an XBox for $40. After I left the guy claimed that one of the twenties I gave him was fake and that I should return to his house to give him another in exchange. I told him to meet me at the Citizen's Bank at the corner of HIS street so we can turn it in and he never responded. I waited for 45 minutes and he never responded to any of my text or calls. A half an hour later he start sending me threatening text again. I told him to meet me at the Police Station and was a no show once again.

The 2nd incident was probably the worst. This guy sold me a bunch of stuff. I brought it home and 80% of it was broken. I left it alone, didn't even contact him figuring he was just some scam artist. Three weeks later he starts calling me with more crap to sell. Claiming if I don't buy it, he'll sell it to some else. I told him be my guest and enlightened him on how all that other crap didn't work. After that he started posting ads about me with my name and number, insulting me, and telling people to flag my ads.

You could probably equate this to 2 out of a million but be very careful. I would hate for something like this to happen to you... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApV7VXlkRog

Last edited by a moderator:
I always tell people they can come to my work when im there and ill bring the item. If they dont like that I offer sending it if they have a Paypal. If they dont like that then....TOOOO BAAAADDD!

[quote name='alexkidd4']You guys are lucky. I have 2 horror stories from Craigslist that would make you think twice about ever selling on there again.

The 1st one was when I bought an XBox for $40. After I left the guy claimed that one of the twenties I gave him was fake and that I should return to his house to give him another in exchange. I told him to meet me at the Citizen's Bank at the corner of HIS street so we can turn it in and he never responded. I waited for 45 minutes and he never responded to any of my text or calls. A half an hour later he start sending me threatening text again. I told him to meet me at the Police Station and was a no show once again.

The 2nd incident was probably the worst. This guy sold me a bunch of stuff. I brought it home and it 80% of it was broken. I left it alone, didn't even contact him figuring he was just some scam artist. Three weeks later he starts calling me with more crap to sell and if I don't buy it, he'll sell it to some else. I told him be my guest and enlightened him on how all that other crap didn't work. After that he started posting ads about me with my name and number, insulting me, and telling people to flag my ads.

You could probably equate this to 2 out of a million but be very careful. I would hate for something like this to happen to you... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApV7VXlkRog[/QUOTE]
lol why dont you make the seller show you if it works or not before you buy it....

thats how 99% of the population does it lmao

Answered an ad for an NES and games last Friday, posting said he was just wanting to get rid of it best offer takes it. Guy said he wanted $75, he looked it up on Ebay. :roll: At first he didn't even want to tell me what games came with it, which was the main reason I had interest. So I told him I wasn't interested and let it go. A short time later he contacted me saying he is flexible on price. I told him I was mostly just interested in the games. After listing them, he had nothing interesting so I told him that I already had half the games so there was no reason to buy the package.

The next day at about 7pm I get another message from him saying he could sell me some of the games individually. Ok, fine. He asks how much would I pay, I tell him I usually get them for about $2 each. He agrees to sell me some at that price. I told him I had to help my father with something before picking them up.

Shortly afterwards he sends another message saying he has to get $3 each, he looked them up. :lol:

I then start receiving messages from him every 15 minutes asking if I'm coming. Finally I told him I wasn't going to make it. Guy wanted me to come to his house out in BFE late at night to get the stuff.

The part that kinda alarmed me was that he would send a message and then call me a minute later to see if i got the message. And he absolutely wanted to sell some of them Saturday night. His speech was always slurred and it wasn't because of drunkeness or age (he was young). I've ran into tweekers buying on Craiglist, that's the reason I always meet in public.

LOL one time this guy and his friend I was buying some PS2 games from had large white spots at the corners of their mouths. You never know who you're gonna get.

BTW, that shit is fucked up ^^^.

I always meet people at the High School next to my house or the local mall or a gas station or some other public place. Though when I sold a N64 last week I did meet the guy at his trailer but he was like 17 and I had a friend with me. Really only problem I had was being sold a Halo 3 wireless headset that didn't work, lost $35 but posted their phone number in gay chat rooms for a few weeks until they had to change it. Yeah I am a vengeful person

ive never sold anything on Craigslist but i've bought a few stuff... never had a problem... one time a guy did have my standing outside a target waiting for him for 15 minutes and never showed up...

but besides that i've never had a problem...

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']lol why dont you make the seller show you if it works or not before you buy it....

thats how 99% of the population does it lmao[/QUOTE]

How do you expect me to test a bunch of systems in the middle of a parking lot? I'm not complaining that they are broken. I honestly didn't care. The amount of money I spent was miniscule in the scheme of things. I'd rather take the risk of not testing it versus meeting at there house or mine and he being a psycho. I remember one time a friend of mine went to go pick up a Super Nintendo. When he walked into the guys house there was a bunch of 9 year old kids running around butt naked, cutting each others hair at the kitchen table. I'll pass

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='alexkidd4']How do you expect me to test a bunch of systems in the middle of a parking lot? I'm not complaining that they are broken. I honestly didn't care. The amount of money I spent was miniscule in the scheme of things. I'd rather take the risk of not testing it versus meeting at there house or mine and he being a psycho. I remember one time a friend of mine went to go pick up a Super Nintendo. When he walked into the guys house there was a bunch of 9 year old kids running around butt naked, cutting each others hair at the kitchen table. I'll pass[/QUOTE]
well thats your prerogative i guess. I always try before I buy.

I don't know why people are so scared of other people lol, and I like to see the crazy shit people do at their places.
buying from hoarders is especially awesome.

I always meet in a public place, usually in the parking lot of a store like Walmart, Best Buy, etc.

But again always in a well lit area, I have gone and met a few people at around 9 PM due to circumstances like work and such. But I always make sure to bring someone along with me.

As for people who can't meet up with you and want you to go to their house, I don't see what's the big fuss? Not like big bubba is gonna lock you in his house the moment you step a foot inside and the buttrape you.

I've been selling a lot on craigslist recently and the two things I CONSTANTLY see that drive me nuts are:

1. guys that have their wives email and call me for them. Its like they are too stupid to figure out how to use the internet and have to get their wife to search craigslist and email people for them. Its always something like "my husband is really interested in this, I'll ask him if he wants it". Then when I call them, I have to talk to the wife while the husband is in the background yelling stuff out like "ASK IF HE'LL TAKE $50 FOR IT!". I'm not even joking, this happens 9 times out of 10, I don't get it!

2. Grown men who have to ask permission to buy something. I can't even count how many times I've been emailed with "I really want to buy this, let me just ask my wife if I am allowed to buy it". Or better yet, I get responses like "good news! my wife said I'm allowed to buy it!" then an hour later I get a text saying "sorry, she changed her mind". I guess I'm lucky I'm not married!

I've sold hundreds of items on Craigslist, even a car. Never had a single problem.

Just meet in a public place (unless it's a large item) and use your common sense. Including pictures with your add helps tremendously.

[quote name='alexkidd4']How do you expect me to test a bunch of systems in the middle of a parking lot? I'm not complaining that they are broken. I honestly didn't care. The amount of money I spent was miniscule in the scheme of things. I'd rather take the risk of not testing it versus meeting at there house or mine and he being a psycho. I remember one time a friend of mine went to go pick up a Super Nintendo. When he walked into the guys house there was a bunch of 9 year old kids running around butt naked, cutting each others hair at the kitchen table. I'll pass[/QUOTE]

I have a power-inverter I hook up in the car. I also have a spare 24" LCD TV I can bring with me too so I can test everything (whether I'm selling or buying). Always be prepared!

And, for the record.. most people aren't as psycho as you think.... you're just way too paranoid.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']I've sold hundreds of items on Craigslist, even a car. Never had a single problem.

Just meet in a public place (unless it's a large item) and use your common sense. Including pictures with your add helps tremendously.[/QUOTE]

Yeh I bought my car on craigslist . He gave me the old "it's my mom's" story but the title was from some guy unrelated it was obviosly a repo or total loss or something . I bought it at a body shop. I did "buy" an xbox off craigslist 4-5 years ago. It was from a marine. I meet him up at home depot. He ended up just giving me the XBOX with like 5 games. He wouldn't take my money.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']I've sold hundreds of items on Craigslist, even a car. Never had a single problem.

Just meet in a public place (unless it's a large item) and use your common sense. Including pictures with your add helps tremendously.[/QUOTE]
I've only sold a handful of items, including a GTA IV Special Edition, a new/sealed PS2 slim and a Gamestop gift card/EDGE card with $300-400 in credit on it. Other than that, my ads get buried anymore by people posting and re-posting shit 20x in one damn day or cleaning their garage and posting 20 seperate fuckin' ads for everything.:roll:

Either that or I get the usual 'omg I'll give you ' offers and I ignore them.

I've sold a car, got $2500 for something the dealer would only give me $200 in trade. I've sold probably 100+ games over the last 4 years, sold a few xboxs with xbmc on em, and sold a few laptop. Just meet in a public place like a grocery store.

Take buddy if you are nervous and use a google voice number. When I sold my treadmill and a desk I had someone come to my house and into my garage and that's it.

Ive bought a desk, a sofa, and a few games/consoles on CL without any worry, I really hate lowballers or people that offer this item for trade when the add clearly states either $X amount or this in trade.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']I have a power-inverter I hook up in the car. I also have a spare 24" LCD TV I can bring with me too so I can test everything (whether I'm selling or buying). Always be prepared!

And, for the record.. most people aren't as psycho as you think.... you're just way too paranoid.[/QUOTE]

Lol, far from paranoid... I'm just not stupid. Just because you've had only positive experiences on the list doesn't mean everyone else has. I've done hundreds of transactions on Craigslist. A lot have been positive but even still I meet more weirdos than most.

bread's done
Back