Selling on half.com?

Iroquois Pliskin

CAG Veteran
I'm sort of desperate for money right now. I have to pay for as much as my college education as I can afford, and UPenn only gave me $6000 in grant money. So I have to start selling off things I'm not using.

I have Suikoden 2, in perfect condition and complete thats the first thing that should get me some money (as well as my car lol).

Whats the best way to sell this?

I was thinking half.com and just list it around what the other sellers were asking? Is there a listing fee or do they just take commision?

Half.com, last time I sold there, charges 15% commission when you sell a game. Commission rates may vary for different product types. They also give you a shipping credit of a few bucks.
If you're not going to go the Ebay route [which I don't blame you], I would suggest you try Amazon.com Marketplace as well. Similar setup to Half [commission paid only when you sell], higher commission fees, but more traffic and a different demographic [people who are looking for 'new' things instead of 'used']. I believe things fetch higher prices on Amazon.com Marketplace.

Depending on how much of a hurry you're in, start at a higher price and work your way down. I usually try to be midrange, but I also compare my feedback to other people's feedbacks. I try to be one of the three cheapest 100% feedback sellers for most items that I'm trying to 'get rid of' [versus 'make money on']. Also try offering a 'bonus'; either another free game or demo disk tossed in [of your choice, of course] or offer a "free" upgrade to First Class shipping instead of Media Mail. ...Actually, I don't think you're allowed to ship games Media Mail anymore. Last time I went to the PO to ship a TV-on-DVD box set, she asked "What is it?" I said "DVDs" She said, "The interactive kind?" and made the controller thumb motions [she was not a gamer]. Obviously YMMV may vary, but they are cracking down. And this was from a small-town, friendly USPS.
You could upgrade to Priority, it might be a little more out of pocket for you, but you can get the box for free from the PO, and if you print your postage on line from the USPS website, you get free delivery confirmation.

with half and amazon marketplace you dont know when it will sell. If you need money now go with ebay.

Thanks guys. Listed on half.com since it's only 10% commision if it goes over $100, and I already have a lot of ebay feedback.

My tuition has already been paid by my parents (minus subsidized loans) so I'm really just paying them back so I don't need the money ASAP

Just a forewarning on selling on Half.com regarding the pay period. If you sell a item on the 10th, then you will have to wait until the 17th to get the money. Or even worst if you sold it on the 3th, then you have to wait until the 17th to get the money! It because the pay peroid ends every 15 days, starting from the first of the money until the 15th. You would have to wait until the pay peroid ends to get paid by direct depost.

I know because I sold a textbook eariler this year on Half.com, which took 10 days to receive the money back for it.

Half.com's commission fees are ridiculous and their reimbursement for shipping costs is a joke. They gave me 2.50 shipping reimbursement for a textbook which cost a total of $5.00 to send (including a box).

[quote name='Vinny']Half.com's commission fees are ridiculous and their reimbursement for shipping costs is a joke. They gave me 2.50 shipping reimbursement for a textbook which cost a total of $5.00 to send (including a box).[/QUOTE]

QFT. I listed my college textbooks on half.com this past semester to give it a shot and see how well it worked.

Summary: fuck that shit.

Half.com rapes you on commission and yes, the shipping reimbursement is a joke.

Here was my last sale on half:

Item price: $88.50
Shipping Reimbursement: $2.78
Commission: ($11.06)
What I got, including shipping: $80.22

I'll just be selling back to the school bookstores from now on.

It was through Media Mail, the problem was that I couldn't find an envelope big enough to fit the book. So I put it in a box that was just the perfect size with enough room for some packing material.

The thing is, they pay you a fixed rate. If you have to ship somewhat far, it could end up costing a lot (though not as much as first class).

[quote name='Diiz']
I'll just be selling back to the school bookstores from now on.[/QUOTE]

When I was in college, bookstores would pay you pennies on the dollar for textbooks. Even with half.com's commission, it's still a great deal compared to that.

No kidding I've been offered $20 for most of my $80-100 text books at college bookstores. half.com isn't that bad for a no hassle sale.

bread's done
Back