Selling Used PC Game

EnchantedDaisy

CAGiversary!
I recently decided I wanted the Steam Version of Tropico 4 instead of my disc (I got a good deal on the expansion and DLC but had to buy steam version of the basegame to use them).
I want to sell (or give away) my hard disc of the game and cannot find out conclusively if I can. I did register the game.

Can I sell it and it work for the buyer?
Do I need to do anything on my end before I sell it?
Is there a website that can educate me on such things so I don't have to ask stupid questions like this again?

If you register the game and they are tied to an email or account name...you can sell but that other person may get hosed as they would need your info to play it.

Not sure the exact nature of Tropico 4. Does it need a CDkey to play?

I recently got a free copy of Oblivion and it did not need anything to play. So those I gave away in person to others with no problem. Is it like that for T4?

The back of the manual has the code that I used to register it and when I start the game it asks for my email address.

**Edit to add: Actually that is what the Steam version does when I start it. The disc version asks for a product key which I don't remember it doing before.

[quote name='EnchantedDaisy']The back of the manual has the code that I used to register it and when I start the game it asks for my email address.

**Edit to add: Actually that is what the Steam version does when I start it. The disc version asks for a product key which I don't remember it doing before.[/QUOTE]

Then you can not trade it unless you give them your STEAM account too.

If the disc version had a key that you had to tie to an email or some type of game account, then in order to sell the game, you'd also need to give the buyer your account info.

Once you use a code to a game you can pretty much put the CD in the recycler (unless you are a collector) because it has no other value for trade in or selling unless you forking over your account for it.

I usually make a another STEAM account when I want to try a game but intend to give it away or sell it. Then give that person all of the info so they can enjoy it or such.

The game isn't on Steam....I get that those games are not transferable. But I don't understand how so many used PC games are for sale on Amazon and Ebay, etc. I guess buying a used PC game is impossible as well? Are these all fraud or some-such?

[quote name='EnchantedDaisy']The game isn't on Steam....I get that those games are not transferable. But I don't understand how so many used PC games are for sale on Amazon and Ebay, etc. I guess buying a used PC game is impossible as well? Are these all fraud or some-such?[/QUOTE]

It is not a problem for older PC games

[quote name='EnchantedDaisy']The game isn't on Steam....I get that those games are not transferable. But I don't understand how so many used PC games are for sale on Amazon and Ebay, etc. I guess buying a used PC game is impossible as well? Are these all fraud or some-such?[/QUOTE]

Some people posted used games from yesteryear and NOT all games have CD-KEYs and force you to register.

I've seen see a few friends of mine buy used games with little to no problem but 90% of those games are not TIED to any super system of DRM.

Regarding Tropico 4, this is from a FAQ by the developer, Kalypso Media:
http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=7909
Q: Will I be able to sell the game along with the product key?
A: Yes! However, you will need to contact our email support (see game manual) in order to release the product key from your online account so it can be used for a new registration.

You can also apparently install the CD version and play the game while offline without issue; the launcher just skips the activation check if it can't get online. Some people use their firewall to block it from connecting online, meaning it's always playing in offline mode. This also prevents updates, however:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2092952

:applause:Thank you, thank you, Marsilies!

That was exactly what I needed to know. Their site was down yesterday but seems it is back up today so I went ahead and sent them an email. I am so glad to know I can sell it.

bread's done
Back