Selling Xbox 360

knotfan123

CAGiversary!
Hi guys,

I hate these threads as much as the other guy and now that I'm making one I have shamed myself and my family for many generations.

I bought an Xbox 360 Slim over black Friday so now I need to dump my old 20GB one. It's in great shape and plays everything just fine. I was going to include one controller, Dead Space, and CoD: MW2 and for good measure an HDMI cable.

My buddy will buy the Xbox and cords for 80 straight up and might just go that route and save myself the hassle with Craigslist, etc. if you guys don't think I can go much higher than his offer. I'm inclined to think I can get higher but figured I'd go directly to the source for info.

As always I appreciate your input CAGer's and thanks!!!

You could get more than $80 for it man. I wouldnt take $80 on it, since if you used Xbox Live then you undoubtedly purchased arcade titles, and what not (assuming you used Xbox Live). If you took that offer it would be almost as bad as getting short changed by GS for it. In all I'd say a hundred for the system set alone, and maybe a little for any applicable purchases you made online with it.

The games....MW2 could go for $35-$40, Dead Rising maybe $10-$15. The HDMI cable I know cost a pretty penny if it's MS brand so maybe $40 on that.

To wrap it up it's all about how much you think you can get for it.

the HDMI cable I know cost a pretty penny if it's MS brand so maybe $40 on that.

holy shit. 40 just for a hdmi cable?

and yeah $80 is a little low for the system but i mean get your buddy to buy you lunch or something. its funny, i almost bought a new xbox as well, but my current one plays great, sure it is noisy but that doesnt really affect much unless i sit really close to the system(and i dont)

if you do the system+ basic hook ups(power brick, component cable) then go for 100 or so, assuming you added some games from the xbox live marketplace. if you are throwing in games and hdmi cables(mw2 should get you 30 bucks on just that one game), just sell that separately.

ive sold systems on ebay no problem, ps2 and xbox halo edition, and had no problems. just list it accurately and you should be fine.

Yeah $40. You can argue that's basically new price on the online end of some retailers websites, but the point of retailers selling online is to sell items slightly cheaper, as opposed to in-store. For example I went to a Best Buy for the HDMI cables, and while they didnt have them in-store they told me that if they did have the cable it would've cost around $50-$60 (cant remember exact price), and that immediately changed my mind to just get component for the time being since those were cheaper in-store.

Anyways OP if you got the cables online cheaper at w/e price, and they work perfectly, and dont look like the cable is all twisted due to manipulating them around things, then dont slouch on the price of it. Charge near what you paid for them, since they arent easy to come by.

Is your bro buying the games to?

I think $80 bucks for an 20gig xbox phat and hdmi is about the most youre going to get. I would imagine since its 20giger its prolly 2-3 years old?

I would sell your friend the xbox for 80 trade the hdmi into gamestop for 5 bucks and sell the games here on cag. dead space you could prolly get 10 for modernwarefare 2 you could get 20 - 25 for bringing your total to about 115 plus 5 bucks gamestop credit. I dont think you can do much better than that.

and yea hdmi cables are not worth much i just bought a box of 50 on ebay for 50 bucks

^^^Age is irrelevant. GS doesnt ask what hardware revision an xbox is. They just offer a price based on if it works or not. Besides that he's offering the console with cords, and games. $80 is being short changed when he can part it all out for more if he wanted. Bare bones console itself then yeah $80 would be fair....if not cheaper. Not the whole set he's offering though.

Edit: Post is in regard to nateeasy29, since the post is in regards to the set he's offering his friend for $80, which is just short changing himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='aeroforce325']Yeah $40. You can argue that's basically new price on the online end of some retailers websites, but the point of retailers selling online is to sell items slightly cheaper, as opposed to in-store. For example I went to a Best Buy for the HDMI cables, and while they didnt have them in-store they told me that if they did have the cable it would've cost around $50-$60 (cant remember exact price), and that immediately changed my mind to just get component for the time being since those were cheaper in-store.

Anyways OP if you got the cables online cheaper at w/e price, and they work perfectly, and dont look like the cable is all twisted due to manipulating them around things, then dont slouch on the price of it. Charge near what you paid for them, since they arent easy to come by.[/QUOTE]
Apparently you've never heard of Meritline, Monoprice or NewEgg. They typically have HDMI cables for $10 or UNDER. So $40-50 for an HDMI cable is an INSANE amount to pay.:roll:
[quote name='aeroforce325']^^^Age is irrelevant. GS doesnt ask what hardware revision an xbox is. They just offer a price based on if it works or not. Besides that he's offering the console with cords, and games. $80 is being short changed when he can part it all out for more if he wanted. Bare bones console itself then yeah $80 would be fair....if not cheaper. Not the whole set he's offering though.

Edit: Post is in regard to nateeasy29, since the post is in regards to the set he's offering his friend for $80, which is just short changing himself.[/QUOTE]
Maybe the OP is just trying to be a good friend and give his buddy a deal on a console, assuming his friend doesn't already have a 360? If I know I'm going to get about as much selling an item to a friend who doesn't have the item as I would selling it to Gamestop then I'd sell it to my friend so they can enjoy it.

It's not always about making the most for your shit.:razz:

[quote name='knotfan123']
My buddy will buy the Xbox and cords for 80 straight up and might just go that route and save myself the hassle with Craigslist, etc. if you guys don't think I can go much higher than his offer. I'm inclined to think I can get higher but figured I'd go directly to the source for info.[/QUOTE]

First Iamthecheapestgamer. You didnt read very well. Note the quote above. He didnt offer his friend the xbox for $80. The friend offered to buy it for $80. Secondly. He already considered craigslist before the offer, and figures he can go higher, and so he came here to ask. That doesnt tell me he's looking to short change himself at a loss. It tells me he wants a little more in return for his investment IF he can get it, and frankly he can.

Lastly. I acknoweledged the possibility that he may have found the cables cheaper online, so I know very well they can be had for cheap, but I dont know this persons age, or if they even shop online, as this site is great for both shopping at retail, and online. The websites you mention....Frankly for someone who uses this website they are not seeing those websites mentioned very often, and can easily be overlooked. You make it sound as though it's common sense to know them, but he's been around only a year on this site as opposed to you and I, and with the deals thread clogged with retail store chains deals all the time I dont blame him if he overlooked such sites (this assuming he didnt already know about them). I told him to get what he could for it based on w/e he bought it for. So dont assume I dont know about those websites. I've frequented this site enough times to know them as well as other sites.

Dont take that the wrong way OP. I cant possibly know your age, or shopping habits, and what sites you know or dont know. All I know is that when people like us, and I mean all of us join a site like this that the possibilities open up drastically. So excuse any ignorance I may have shown above, as I already noted that I cant possibly know what you knew before this site, and such.

Case in point:
[quote name='aeroforce325']Anyways OP if you got the cables online cheaper at w/e price, and they work perfectly, and dont look like the cable is all twisted due to manipulating them around things, then dont slouch on the price of it. Charge near what you paid for them, since they arent easy to come by.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses guys, yeah I had my friend as my first choice b/c of the obvious simplicity reasons. Money changes hands, Xbox changes hands then I'm done. No follow up no negotiating etc.

But as others mentioned if I can get 120-150 for the bundle it seems daft to undercut myself.

You could probably get $120-130ish for the bundle. Gamestop sells them for.. $130? And some people feel better going with that since it's from a store and not a person (although most of us here know that Gamestop stinks). That being said, I would try to get your friend to bump up to ~100-110 for the bundle and be happy knowing that a friend got it and you won't have to deal with ebay fees / someone e-mailing you in 20 days when if it stops working / etc.

[quote name='Katsumi87']You could probably get $120-130ish for the bundle. Gamestop sells them for.. $130? And some people feel better going with that since it's from a store and not a person (although most of us here know that Gamestop stinks). That being said, I would try to get your friend to bump up to ~100-110 for the bundle and be happy knowing that a friend got it and you won't have to deal with ebay fees / someone e-mailing you in 20 days when if it stops working / etc.[/QUOTE]
For that very reason I wouldn't balk if I were the OP at their friends' offer of $80 for the console with everything by itself, since it's a 2-3 year old 360 with a measly 20gb HDD(they're up to 250 gb now, right?) and it's likely that the RROD extended warranty is almost done.

So if the console fails in a couple of months the friend may be SOL. That's why it'd be better to just dump the console on CL for $90-100 and sell it to some total stranger, so the OP doesn't lose a friend over what's essentially a ticking time bomb.

As for the two games, you have to really go based on the used values from places like Gamestop and such to get a decent idea of what they're really worth.

Ebay is not a good barometer of value of anything, since suckers pay stupid prices for silly shit all the time and that includes overpaying for games that can be found cheaper new at retail.

If the game is under $20 used at such places, then chances are it'd sit on someplace like CL if they tried posting it for $25-30. People want a deal, not to pay MSRP for stuff.

bread's done
Back