Senator Bayh gives up on system, advocates massive changes.

AdultLink

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts1134

In an interview on MSNBC this morning, newly retiring Sen. Evan Bayh declared the American political system "dysfunctional," riddled with "brain-dead partisanship" and permanent campaigning. Flatly denying any possibility that he'd seek the presidency or any other higher office, Bayh argued that the American people needed to deliver a "shock" to Congress by voting incumbents out en masse and replacing them with people interested in reforming the process and governing for the good of the people, rather than deep-pocketed special-interest groups.

But Bayh had apparently become increasingly frustrated in the Senate. In this morning's interview he noted that just two weeks ago, Republicans who had co-sponsored a bill with him to rein in the deficit turned around and voted against it for purely political reasons. He also stated repeatedly that members of his own party should be more willing to settle for a compromise rather than holding out for perfection.

I agree with a lot of what he says, but I don't see quitting helping at all.

I understand his frustration, but all his quitting will do is have his seat likely go to some other jackoff that just does all the stuff he's bitching about. And with the current political climate, the seat is pretty likely to go republican, when as the incumbent he could have held the seat for his party.

Vs. him continuing and trying to help bring about change from the inside. All just seems very counter intuitive, and a way to just say fuck it and pass the problems on to other people vs. working to solve the problems.

Boner? I'm not anarchist lol. I'd rather the system be repaired then destroyed, but it's interesting to see even the politicians are getting fed up with the system.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I agree with a lot of what he says, but I don't see quitting helping at all.

I understand his frustration, but all his quitting will do is have his seat likely go to some other jackoff that just does all the stuff he's bitching about. And with the current political climate, the seat is pretty likely to go republican, when as the incumbent he could have held the seat for his party.

Vs. him continuing and trying to help bring about change from the inside. All just seems very counter intuitive, and a way to just say fuck it and pass the problems on to other people vs. working to solve the problems.[/QUOTE]

The problem is, since politics is in the hands on special interest groups, one vote means nothing, as somebody else would get bought.

The problem is also that if republicans get into power, they will likely also get bought by special interest groups. They'd be campaining harder, given the recent supreme court ruling and lust for power.

Republican or democrat, two sides of the same coin.

1. How can a candidate win with less money?

2. How can a senator do their job well when they have to compete against others to raise the most money?

Everyone knows it sucks but it's no easy fix, it's definitely not something that's gonna be fixed by electing different officials. If Bayh wanted change, he should've pushed hard for legislation to bring that change, instead of just removing himself to let the second best fund-raiser take his spot...

[quote name='Koggit']1. How can a candidate win with less money?

2. How can a senator do their job well when they have to compete against others to raise the most money?

Everyone knows it sucks but it's no easy fix, it's definitely not something that's gonna be fixed by electing different officials. If Bayh wanted change, he should've pushed hard for legislation to bring that change, instead of just removing himself to let the second best fund-raiser take his spot...[/QUOTE]

I don't think change would be easy. Basically, the change that needs to happen is to remove Reagan politics and regulate companies. Companies will fight tooth and nail over that.

OK its pretty relevant, and I'm not talking about health insurance, I'm just speculating what hes going to do next. Someone else could have posted 'oh i think hes going to become a professor' and presumably you'd redirect them to a professor topic or some bullshit. Grow a set brah.

[quote name='IRHari']Any bets on where he's going to go next? I'm guessing something to do with health insurance.[/QUOTE]

His wife is already in the business and there is an opening to head phrma.

Anyone who thinks Senator Emptysack is going to do anything but follow the money needs to buy a clue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like Bayh has come to many of the same conclusions I have.

The system is irreparably broke. We'll all be here in 30 years looking back on a long cyclic history of bitching about the Democrat or Republican in power.

Does anyone honestly think that continuing to vote for the biggest fund raisers (read: paid off by lobbyists) is going to provide any substantial change?

America loves reality TV and American politics is the best show on the tube for the foreseeable future. Voting people off the island and voting people off capitol hill have become similarly important in the brain of the American.

The system has always been that way. Hell, at the beginning you couldn't even vote unless you were a rich white man, and now your vote is just overruled by rich white men. There just have to be very strict laws about lobbying, etc. and an atmosphere where it isn't tolerated, rather than it basically being seen as part of the job.

Someone ask him what is gonna happen to his 13 million dollar war chest...

fuck him, the guy was one of the worst of an already shitty, archaic body of weasels.

[quote name='mykevermin']Can we quit Indiana? I fuckin' hate that state.[/QUOTE]

Haha, are you saying Kentucky is much better? You must hate a lot of states; there are plenty of crazier places than Indiana.

[quote name='elprincipe']Haha, are you saying Kentucky is much better? You must hate a lot of states; there are plenty of crazier places than Indiana.[/QUOTE]

In terms of dipshit backwoods racist motherfuckin' morons, there's not a state that can hold a candle to Indiana.

I've a great story that involves me being 17, a punk rock festival, cans of Old Style beer, an overweight skinhead girl, hey "boys," and her 5-foot-nothing 68-year old father trying to pick a fight. But it's best told verbally, not online.

[quote name='mykevermin']In terms of dipshit backwoods racist motherfuckin' morons, there's not a state that can hold a candle to Indiana.

I've a great story that involves me being 17, a punk rock festival, cans of Old Style beer, an overweight skinhead girl, hey "boys," and her 5-foot-nothing 68-year old father trying to pick a fight. But it's best told verbally, not online.[/QUOTE]

Too bad we're not at a wedding reception :D

[quote name='AdultLink']remove Reagan politics and regulate companies[/QUOTE]

mere symptoms.

ultimately, the problem is just that decisions of governance are treated as political decisions. if you don't think of your votes as an asset for future elections & spend the majority of your time raising funds (-->pleasing special interests) then you get fired at the next election when your opponent (a) uses anything negative from any bill you voted for to ruin your credibility and (b) steamrolls your campaign (ad wise) with all the private campaign contributions they received from the wealthy people the incumbent pissed off. that's the root of it all and there's no solution i can think of.

[quote name='Koggit']mere symptoms.

ultimately, the problem is just that decisions of governance are treated as political decisions. if you don't think of your votes as an asset for future elections & spend the majority of your time raising funds (-->pleasing special interests) then you get fired at the next election when your opponent (a) uses anything negative from any bill you voted for to ruin your credibility and (b) steamrolls your campaign (ad wise) with all the private campaign contributions they received from the wealthy people the incumbent pissed off. that's the root of it all and there's no solution i can think of.[/QUOTE]

While not a "fix-all" solution, Term Limits would be a great place to start. You can worry less about getting fired at the next election if you're not allowed to run.

It would be easier to dissolve the Senate than to get Senators to vote for their own term limits.

We could sell it as deficit reduction, how much money does the house of lords cost to run?

Just give Al Franken a cabinet position (or the VP slot) and the rest of them can go pound sand.

[quote name='mykevermin']Can we quit Indiana? I fuckin' hate that state.[/QUOTE]

We're not all bad. There's some damn good beer getting brewed out here these days.

And if you think Bayh quit because the system is broke you guys are all smoking some good ganja. Bayh quit because it's less of an embarassment to step aside than to get spanked by a nameless Republican in the election.

:rofl: It amazes me how hypocritical some folks are. It would be like a used car salesman joining the mob because selling cars just didn't feel like an honorable job.

----

On another note, wtf happened to FOC?

Gosh I'm so glad he's not going to use his old government connections to empower the company he works for now. That sure would be that ol' revolving door that Evan Bayh hates right?

Msut you bastard. I was all excited to find this thread yesterday and couldn't. I searched "evan bayh" in the title.

And not just any firm, but goddamn Apollo.

If you would have asked me for professions less noble than politician in America, a PE consultant would have been #1 or #2. I-banker and Lobbyist-Slush-Money asshole are the only two other jobs I can think of that are worse than politician.

Well done, shitbag.

Maybe I'm just getting wiser (older) - but beginning to understand that nothing is new under the sun.

Most of these guys are simply power hungry. Ravenously power hungry. It's really all they care about. I guess being voted in works for a while, but celebrity media feeds the beast more.

bread's done
Back