Senator Kerry Sat Frozen: Unable to Think for 40 Minutes on 9/11

[quote name='Cracka'][quote name='Lil Stinky']Its all over. I don't know why you guys are still fighting about this crap. John Kerry will be our next president end of story. Not because he is a great leader but because Bush has failed the common man. The common man is dying a slow death with increased spending in just about all areas and an average income that has fallen for the past two years. The last time American average income went down for two years were the two years following the great depression. Bush is just like his father with foreign policy tunnel vision. Somebody needs to lean in and whisper DOMESTIC AGENDA sir.[/quote]

exactly... if kerry wins, it wont be because he's a good leader, it'll be because he "isn't GWB." Nobody that likes kerry has paid attention to his stance on things, they dont care about his policies, because as long as he's not GWB, he's got their vote.

The whole point of this thread is that democrats are putting Bush down because for 7 minutes he was in shock and didnt jump up and start spoutting out orders, and Kerry says he was in shock for 40 minutes.

The whole point is that you cant blame Bush for being in shock for a few minutes. It would be like you sleeping and your parents coming in your room and throwing a cold bucket of water in your face and then saying "somebody's trying to break into the house, what should we do?" You're not instantly going to know what to do.

and a few posts up somebody was bashing the Pres. and Cheney for going to an undisclosed location? Thats what they're supposed to do when the nation is under attack. And they do have it setup in these locations where the president can address the nation, so dont try and make it seem like they're off hiding somewhere and not taking care of business.[/quote]

Except that Kerry doesn't say he was in shock for 40 minutes. Righties are saying Kerry says that by reading as much as they can into a single quote taken from an extended interview. Point to me exactly where Kerry says, "I was in shock for 40 minutes."

And as I came in, Barbara Boxer and Harry Reid were standing there, and we watched the second plane come in to the building. And we shortly thereafter sat down at the table and then we just realized nobody could think, and then boom, right behind us, we saw the cloud of explosion at the Pentagon.

That right there sums it up. That's a 40 minute time frame between the second plane and the Pentagon. He describes it as if time stood still for him. Listen, I'm not even being critical of him locking up or being dumbfounded watching the WTC strikes, who knew how bad that day would turn out? Personally I expected much more considering 2 at the WTC, the Pentagon and then local news here cut in about the Pennsylvania plane. I kept wondering just how much death was going to happen.

Just that after one strike nearby it was the Secret Service that came and said they were evacuating the White House and thought it was time for them to go as well. I would honestly expected a combat veteran to be able to gague the strikes that had occured, all on high visibility targets, and that he was sitting in one and would have had the sense to get himself or anyone else out without having to having to be told.

When I think back to my roommate and my reaction as we watched the second tower collapsed we both went to the grocery store, empty BTW, filled up enough food for at least 3 weeks, filled our cars with gas, used our garden hose to fill up 20 gallons worth of water containers and actually loaded up guns. Paranoid? Maybe. Hindsight being being perfect. Who knew if water supplies weren't going to be poisoned? Who knew if gas prices wouldn't spike or the supply disrupted? Who knew if there wouldn't be a run on food?

When I compare even my own personal actions and those of people I know I find every Congressperson's actions of that day wanting, especially if they want to run on a platform of knowing how to best protect this country. Remember the joint appearance on the capitol steps that afternoon where everyone sang God Bless America? I half expected those morons to be cut down in an explosion.

My biggest criticisim of Bush on 9/11 is the same of the Secret Service, he went back to the White House. The absolute proper role in a national emergency is for the President to get airborne and under fighter cover. That's what he did when he showed up at Barksdale AFB in Louisiana and later on in Nebraska. He was doing the right thing.

Listen, my only reason for posting this was as a legitimate rebuttal to the "7 minutes in a classroom" argument. Why? Everyone that day had it to one degree or another. It's disingenuous to say otherwise. No one thought on 9/11 like things were business as usual and had a playbook to run through. I think I've kind of proven that point.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']
And as I came in, Barbara Boxer and Harry Reid were standing there, and we watched the second plane come in to the building. And we shortly thereafter sat down at the table and then we just realized nobody could think, and then boom, right behind us, we saw the cloud of explosion at the Pentagon.

That right there sums it up. That's a 40 minute time frame between the second plane and the Pentagon. He describes it as if time stood still for him. Listen, I'm not even being critical of him locking up or being dumbfounded watching the WTC strikes, who knew how bad that day would turn out? Personally I expected much more considering 2 at the WTC, the Pentagon and then local news here cut in about the Pennsylvania plane. I kept wondering just how much death was going to happen.

Just that after one strike nearby it was the Secret Service that came and said they were evacuating the White House and thought it was time for them to go as well. I would honestly expected a combat veteran to be able to gague the strikes that had occured, all on high visibility targets, and that he was sitting in one and would have had the sense to get himself or anyone else out without having to having to be told.

When I think back to my roommate and my reaction as we watched the second tower collapsed we both went to the grocery store, empty BTW, filled up enough food for at least 3 weeks, filled our cars with gas, used our garden hose to fill up 20 gallons worth of water containers and actually loaded up guns. Paranoid? Maybe. Hindsight being being perfect. Who knew if water supplies weren't going to be poisoned? Who knew if gas prices wouldn't spike or the supply disrupted? Who knew if there wouldn't be a run on food?

When I compare even my own personal actions and those of people I know I find every Congressperson's actions of that day wanting, especially if they want to run on a platform of knowing how to best protect this country. Remember the joint appearance on the capitol steps that afternoon where everyone sang God Bless America? I half expected those morons to be cut down in an explosion.

My biggest criticisim of Bush on 9/11 is the same of the Secret Service, he went back to the White House. The absolute proper role in a national emergency is for the President to get airborne and under fighter cover. That's what he did when he showed up at Barksdale AFB in Louisiana and later on in Nebraska. He was doing the right thing.

Listen, my only reason for posting this was as a legitimate rebuttal to the "7 minutes in a classroom" argument. Why? Everyone that day had it to one degree or another. It's disingenuous to say otherwise. No one thought on 9/11 like things were business as usual and had a playbook to run through. I think I've kind of proven that point.[/quote]

I'm sorry, PAD, but you are reading a lot into one sentence Kerry riffed off. It's not what I would call a detailed, minute-by-minute account of what he was doing. It's nowhere close. It's basically him talking off the cuff, and you're trying to use it as meager evidence to prove a larger point.

Back to the ongoing 7-minute issue -- PAD, Bush portrays himself as a decisive leader. He makes a lot of hay from that image. But there he is, in that classroom, and is he momentarily stunned? Stunned for 30 seconds? A minute? Two? You're the leader of the free world. Lives depend on you. Your country is under attack. Three minutes....Four.... Still nothing. Five.....a lot you can do in five minutes. You certainly can shake off the shock of the news of an attack, particularly when you are the top man in the world. Six minutes. A lot of people can run a mile in that amount of time. Do some pretty complicated mathematics. Read a couple of news articles. I'll probably have written this response in six minutes. Still nothing.

Seven minutes is one hell of a lot of time. It's not the amount of time a decisive leader would take to get his ass out of a chair and on the move. I'm not saying he needed to know where to go, or he needed to know what to do. He still didn't have 100 percent of the information. But by God, if you can't decide to stand up and leave an elementary school classroom within seven minutes of learning the country you run is under attack, and find out what is going on so you can start leading, then you are failing in your job as President of the United States.

And for those seven minutes, that's exactly what Bush did. He failed.

I don't think it is fair compare the reaction of Bush and Kerry. I am sure Kerry was watching it on tv while someone told Bush what was happening. I remember watching footage of the planes hitting the towers, and it gave me a sick feeling in my stomach. I think Bush should have reacted faster if he did not see what was happening on tv, because I think there would be less of a shock factor. Yeah hearing about the towers getting hit is bad, but actually watching them fall must be a whole different experience.

I may be wrong, but whatever.

[quote name='ZarathosNY'][quote name='Cracka'][quote name='Lil Stinky']Its all over. I don't know why you guys are still fighting about this crap. John Kerry will be our next president end of story. Not because he is a great leader but because Bush has failed the common man. The common man is dying a slow death with increased spending in just about all areas and an average income that has fallen for the past two years. The last time American average income went down for two years were the two years following the great depression. Bush is just like his father with foreign policy tunnel vision. Somebody needs to lean in and whisper DOMESTIC AGENDA sir.[/quote]

exactly... if kerry wins, it wont be because he's a good leader, it'll be because he "isn't GWB." Nobody that likes kerry has paid attention to his stance on things, they dont care about his policies, because as long as he's not GWB, he's got their vote.

The whole point of this thread is that democrats are putting Bush down because for 7 minutes he was in shock and didnt jump up and start spoutting out orders, and Kerry says he was in shock for 40 minutes.

The whole point is that you cant blame Bush for being in shock for a few minutes. It would be like you sleeping and your parents coming in your room and throwing a cold bucket of water in your face and then saying "somebody's trying to break into the house, what should we do?" You're not instantly going to know what to do.

and a few posts up somebody was bashing the Pres. and Cheney for going to an undisclosed location? Thats what they're supposed to do when the nation is under attack. And they do have it setup in these locations where the president can address the nation, so dont try and make it seem like they're off hiding somewhere and not taking care of business.[/quote]

Actually, my point isn't the 7 minutes in the classroom, but why did he go in the classroom in the first place? Those 7 minutes were after the SECOND plane hit. The first one hit BEFORE he went into the classroom. Why wasn't he consulting with ppl before he went in to the classroom?. He knew Al-queda wanted to attack us from the August PDB. He knew they could use airplanes as weapons from the G8 summit in France, where they put up anti-aircraft guns to prevent such an attack. Why did he choose to continue with a photo-op instead of finding out what was going on?[/quote]

After the first plane crashed, for all anyone knew, it was an accident. The 2nd plane didnt crash until after he was in the classroom.

he was in the classroom with the kids for several minutes before they came in and told him that the 2nd plane crashed. Then he stayed for 7 more minutes and then left.

I'm not saying that Bush and Kerry's reactions should've been the same, or that Kerry should've reacted different, i was pointing out that this is the point of this thread.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Why couldn't he have just jumped up and yelled, "quick, to the batplane!"?[/quote]

Now THAT's comedy!

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']
When I think back to my roommate and my reaction as we watched the second tower collapsed we both went to the grocery store, empty BTW, filled up enough food for at least 3 weeks, filled our cars with gas, used our garden hose to fill up 20 gallons worth of water containers and actually loaded up guns.[/quote]

Well if you ever run for President then we'll know that you've got the self-preservation thing down more than Bush and Kerry combined.

*shudders at the thought*

bread's done
Back