Separate in-game audio from voice audio?

Machikunas

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
When playing games on steam (or elsewhere) is there a way to make the in-game audio come out of my speakers and the voice chat come through my headset?

I've gotten so used to playing games on the 360 that now that I have a computer that's worth playing on, I'm thrown off by both the in-game and voice audio coming through the headset.

One of my buddies claims this worked for him automatically when he plugged his headset in, but I can't figure out any way to pull it off.

-Control Panel
--Sounds and Audio Devices
---Audio tab
---Speakers = default playback device
---Headset = default voice playback/recording device

viola

[quote name='crystalklear64']-Control Panel
--Sounds and Audio Devices
---Audio tab
---Speakers = default playback device
---Headset = default voice playback/recording device

viola[/QUOTE]

My list of playback devices only has speakers. Even when the headset is plugged in.

It's on old-school headset I bought in like 2001 where I plug in 2 separate connectors. One into the mic jack, and one into the headphone jack. Do I need to have a USB or bluetooth headset to pull this off?

[quote name='Machikunas']My list of playback devices only has speakers. Even when the headset is plugged in.

It's on old-school headset I bought in like 2001 where I plug in 2 separate connectors. One into the mic jack, and one into the headphone jack. Do I need to have a USB or bluetooth headset to pull this off?[/QUOTE]

I don't know if USB would work, but what you'd need for a 3.5mm headset to work would be a better sound card.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I don't know if USB would work, but what you'd need for a 3.5mm headset to work would be a better sound card.[/QUOTE]

Ah, gotcha.

I use a USB Soundcard that came with a $20 Plantronics headset to do this myself. Basically have normal sound processed through the soundcard, and all voice recording/audio set through the headphones, as long as the applications lets it be set seperately like that.

bread's done
Back