Serenity - $16.98 from Amazon

Maklershed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
77 (100%)
As the title suggests you can pre-order Serenity from Amazon.com for $16.98 and get free shipping if you place an order over $25.

Linkage:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BW7QWW/103-6495439-6935061?v=glance&n=130

Additional DVD information thanks to Guardian Owl

B000BW7QWW.01._PE30_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

*Found by ROBstarwind on digg

What's so special about the 20.99 price? Most new movies are like 14.99 these days on release week at B&M locations...

Unless this one is carrying some higher MSRP, which seems odd because this is just a movie, right?

Actually alot of places don't even have it listed yet (it was only officially announced like yesterday). However, it's $19.99 at bestbuy.com and will likely be available even cheaper once more places have it listed.

Apparently its television rights where the big money is. DVD sales bring in around 12.5 billion gross but television brings in 15 billion gross last year. Plus its looking to break even with production costs after its all said and done world wide.

Man, that sucks that it is already coming to DVD..Great movie that people should experience in the theatres.

Serenity is easly the best movie released so far this year IMO. I've seen it three times in the theaters, and I can't wait for the DVD.
[quote name='Logain8955']That was quick. o_O Oh well. I hope DVD sales get this show back on the air.[/QUOTE]
We wont see another Firefly TV show. Universal has the rights to make movies, and Fox still holds the rights to the TV show. Plus, Joss said that he doesn't want to do TV anymore.

[quote name='KnightofHearts']Plus its looking to break even with production costs after its all said and done world wide.[/QUOTE]
Not from box office money. Theaters get half of the box office total, and the studios get half. The only way we're going to get a sequel to Serenity is if the DVD sales are very strong.

I waited alg time for this to hit theaters...
and then forgot that it came out. Have to go check if it's still playing aroung here.

$21.00????? Wow, it will be 14.99 at Wal-Mart or CC first week, you just wait. I'm surprised Amazon is this high, but I'm sure they will drop price as well.

The covers a little cluttered IMHO and please don't tell me those are supposed to be lasers shooting out of Serenity at the top right...

[quote name='moe11888']It's not even in theatres anymore in some places. It really was an amazing movie though but the show is still better.[/QUOTE]

I went and saw it earlier, today.

[quote name='guardian_owl']The covers a little cluttered IMHO and please don't tell me those are supposed to be lasers shooting out of Serenity at the top right...[/QUOTE]

Yeah the cover seems thrown together and really isn't that great. Who wants to bet a new special edition dvd is out in 6 months...

[quote name='kjauburn']Yeah the cover seems thrown together and really isn't that great. Who wants to bet a new special edition dvd is out in 6 months...[/QUOTE]
*raises hand* There are several browncoats who don't like the cover and have composed their own images, guess I could post a few to see what ya'll think, think I'll do that, watch this space for edit.

Other details about the release including Special features and menu shots

edit:
Larger view of official Universal coverart
serenityr1artworkpic2.jpg

and, here are some mockups showing up on the Universal Browncoat board.

cover 1:

cover 2:

cover 3:

cover 4A:
serenity-art-11thHour.jpg

cover 4B:
serenity-art2-11thHour.jpg

cover 5:

cover 6:
serenitycover.jpg

cover 7:

Thoughts?

edit: added cover numbers for discussion purposes.

It is quick for them to release the movie so soon, but I think they want to capitalize on xmas rush. Also the 20th (9/20/02) was the day Firefly premiere on fox tv which is owned by 20th century fox...coincidence?

[quote name='roguejedi5']It is quick for them to release the movie so soon, but I think they want to capitalize on xmas rush. Also the 20th (9/20/02) was the day Firefly premiere on fox tv which is owned by 20th century fox...coincidence?[/QUOTE]
Well it was the day the pilot finally aired, not when the series started, The Train Job aired Sept. 20th, 2002. But that is a pretty eerie coincidence.

My favorite would have to be the cover with the alliance and reaver ships about to battle...however I don't like the back. It looks too much like a book cover. The one right above it is too Star Wars-y. Some of the others scream bootleg quality (in other words, not quite professional level in design).

[quote name='Roufuss']What's so special about the 20.99 price? Most new movies are like 14.99 these days on release week at B&M locations...

Unless this one is carrying some higher MSRP, which seems odd because this is just a movie, right?[/QUOTE]

Yaeh agreed about the price, but nonetheless this sucks that the movie is coming out so soon to DVD. Makes me sad and not as hopeful of a revival of it. Heard it didn't do so well in America, but will still manage to break even worldwide. I absolutely love the tv show and movie and think that just about anything Joss Whedon touches is gold. This show/movie is some of the absolute best sci-fi I have seen in years.

Oh, I'm going to wait to buy this at BB on the first week. My contact at BB (yes I know I hate them yet I have a contact there) said that come the first week of when it is released, they'll have some buy Serenity and Firefly together get $10 off or something and Serenity should come out at around $14.99 or so.

And I agree, I (on some Serenity boards, won't give out my name though) and others don't like the cover artwork so much. Doubt it will come out with an SE though. Don't think it will get enough fans (sadly) to merit another printing after the initial on. oh well. Still a lot of the covers that I have tried to make and fans seem to come out better than what the studio is going to put out. I really like the one posted with River in that one stance on the back cover.

[quote name='roguejedi5']but I think they want to capitalize on xmas rush.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Dr. Obvious.

[quote name='roguejedi5'] Also the 20th (9/20/02) was the day Firefly premiere on fox tv which is owned by 20th century fox...coincidence?[/QUOTE]

Well, considering that Universal is the one who made the movie and is selling the DVD, i would think it is in fact a coincidence.

[quote name='kjauburn']Yeah the cover seems thrown together and really isn't that great. Who wants to bet a new special edition dvd is out in 6 months...[/QUOTE]

Again, thats Fox who releases barebones discs and then SEs a couple months later. I'd expect this to have a bunch of features and be the only release of the movie. I also expect that the 20.99 price tag is just a place-holder....

Cover does suck though. Why does River's neck look broken? I'll definitely be printing a custom cover for this one.

[quote name='sman113']
Again, thats Fox who releases barebones discs and then SEs a couple months later. I'd expect this to have a bunch of features and be the only release of the movie. I also expect that the 20.99 price tag is just a place-holder....
[/QUOTE]
Universal releases double dips just as much as any of the other major studios.
In a few weeks they are releasing a bunch of extras from PJ's King Kong for $40 that you can legally download for free. :roll:
I believe that Joss said that Serenity will get two DVD releases, but it's unclear if he ment a full and widescreen version, or a double dip.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Universal releases double dips just as much as any of the other major studios.
In a few weeks they are releasing a bunch of extras from PJ's King Kong for $40 that you can legally download for free. :roll:
I believe that Joss said that Serenity will get two DVD releases, but it's unclear if he ment a full and widescreen version, or a double dip.[/QUOTE]

Fox is the worst offender of any major studio when it comes to hiding the release of a SE before they release the barebones edition. And then just weeks after releasing the barebones, announcing a two-disc edition.

Every major studio double dips, its just the nature of the business, but none do it as underhandedly as Fox.

As far as those King Kong special features - i fail to see the relevance. Whats wrong with releasing them on a DVD? So what if you or I can download them. Not everyone wants to spend the time downloading (especially if they dont have high speed internet) and the quality is sure to be better then the miniscreens that pop up on the computer. I will buy them b/c burned versions look like crap on my HDTV, while this release is sure to have full screen versions.

[quote name='sman113']
As far as those King Kong special features - i fail to see the relevance. Whats wrong with releasing them on a DVD? So what if you or I can download them. Not everyone wants to spend the time downloading (especially if they dont have high speed internet) and the quality is sure to be better then the miniscreens that pop up on the computer. I will buy them b/c burned versions look like crap on my HDTV, while this release is sure to have full screen versions.[/QUOTE]
I think of the DVD as a mega double dip. Release the extras before the film comes out, and then the DVD.
I don't think it's horrible, but the price is. I don't have high speed internet, and I would consider buying it, if the SRP was lower then $40. That SRP is $10 more then a standard 2 disk set, for something that didn't cost Universal anything.
It should sell for no more then $10.

I thought the rumors were that two more movies are in the works?

Either way, I was one of the nerds who dressed up as a character to see the movie, lol. I can't wait for this to come out. I looooooooooved this movie! It was soooooo good.

*SPOILER WARNING - FOR THOSE THAT HAVE YET TO SEE THE MOVIE, AND INTEND TO DO SO IN THE FUTURE...DO NOT READ BELOW*

Yeah...The movis was great if you could handle the fact that they killed, in my opinion, the best character in the series...

I was traumatized from that moment on....I can't imagine the series continuing without Wash....

[quote name='Kaijufan']... if the SRP was lower then $40. That SRP is $10 more then a standard 2 disk set, for something that didn't cost Universal anything.
It should sell for no more then $10.[/QUOTE]

The disc wont cost nearly that much, but i agree its rather expensive. But i dont know how many hours are on.

As for it costing universal nothing, thats an overstatement,. They are financing the movie, which i would think would include all of the marketing for it - including these production web-casts.

bread's done
Back