Serenity [Blu-ray] $19.99 Pre-order @ Amazon

Firefly was $50 a couple days ago. I'm hoping that hits $40 sometime soon. But I think I'll jump if it goes back down to $50.

I heard the set is kinda flawed though. That it's mainly 1080p but all the special effects are still 480p.

Firefly reviews:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=815&show=review
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/35569/firefly-the-complete-series/
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1271/firefly.html

Serenity (BR) reviews:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?id=2637&show=review
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/35796/serenity/
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1932/serenity.html

I have the HD-DVD version, and I'm giving some thought to upgrading to the BR version some time in the future, for the extras they're adding. PQ appears to be the same, AQ is a DTS-MA loseless track versus the DD+ on the HD-DVD version. Once I get an audio setup worth taking advantage of the TrueHD track, I'll probably switch.

I saw this in my local Target (Springfield, Pa) today for $19.99; If I would have known that it wasn't officially "out" I probably would have pounced on it!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Frag Rev']Amazon has Serenity on pre-order for $19.99. The movie releases Tuesday, Dec. 30.

I personally can't wait for this to release on Blu-ray. It's great movie based off a great show. It's too bad more people didn't pick up on it.
[/QUOTE]

No, it's a shitty movie based off a great show... I really don't see how a fan of the show could think any different. If someone saw the movie first and didn't know any better: sure, maybe. But the other way around? You people are insane. That's like claiming you're a Star Wars fan and saying Phantom Menace RAWKS! Seriously...

[quote name='mietha']No, it's a shitty movie based off a great show... I really don't see how a fan of the show could think any different. If someone saw the movie first and didn't know any better: sure, maybe. But the other way around? You people are insane. That's like claiming you're a Star Wars fan and saying Phantom Menace RAWKS! Seriously...[/quote]

While entitled to your opinion, I think you'll find you are in the minority if you ask other Firefly/Serenity fans. You saying Serenity is to Firefly as The Phantom Menace is to A New Hope makes you the insane one in my opinion. Granted all of us would have much rather seen plot points from the movie slowly unfold over the course of a second or third season but the movie was far from bad.

I have firefly on dvd and blu and I have serentiy on dvd and hd dvd. I'm seriously considering picking up the blu version too for the extras and to support the franchise more.

i seen this movie on HBO i liked it and have never seen the show . i stumbled across the show on hulu all 15 eps.
http://www.hulu.com/firefly

after i seen the last ep. I wonted to see the movie after knowing every thing. seen that the blu ray was coming out so i per ordered it

[quote name='mietha']No, it's a shitty movie based off a great show... I really don't see how a fan of the show could think any different. If someone saw the movie first and didn't know any better: sure, maybe. But the other way around? You people are insane. That's like claiming you're a Star Wars fan and saying Phantom Menace RAWKS! Seriously...[/quote]

Personally I think Serenity is one of the best sci-fi movies of the past decade or show. Whedon is a tremendously adept director (the opening tracking shot through the ship is incredible) and the writing is superb.

So out of curiosity what is that you didn't like about the movie?

My Serenity BR shipped today and will be here tomorrow.

[quote name='BWOzar']Personally I think Serenity is one of the best sci-fi movies of the past decade or show. Whedon is a tremendously adept director (the opening tracking shot through the ship is incredible) and the writing is superb.[/quote]
QFT. Most definitely the best sci-fi in recent memory.

I eBayed my HD DVD a while back, so I'll hafta pick this up on Blu when I have the cash.

Question for you gizmo, or anyone else that can answer it. If I already have serenity on HDDVD is the overall package in the blu ray version better? I wouldn't mind re buying it if the added stuff was worth it. Also I'm a huge fan of the movie/show if that helps.

thanks,

bill

[quote name='lawl']Does this have all the extras of the collector's edition DVD?[/quote]
I want to know this also because Serenity collector's edition on Amazon is only $6.99 now.

[quote name='mietha']No, it's a shitty movie based off a great show... I really don't see how a fan of the show could think any different. If someone saw the movie first and didn't know any better: sure, maybe. But the other way around? You people are insane. That's like claiming you're a Star Wars fan and saying Phantom Menace RAWKS! Seriously...[/QUOTE]

As a matter of fact, I did see the movie before ever watching the show. It was the movie being good that led me to watching the show. So I guess in that, I thought the show was pretty good if I wanted to keep watching the series. The movie is far from how you described it.

[quote name='lawl']Does this have all the extras of the collector's edition DVD?[/QUOTE]

While the DVD transfer was indeed strong, I have no hesitation in recommending this Blu-Ray release to anyone considering an upgrade.

Moving on, the audio actually offers an upgrade over the HD DVD version of Serenity. The inclusion of the DTS-HD lossless 5.1 track is sure to please audiophiles, while providing a quite extraordinary sonic assault for those with a suitable setup. There are no problems making out individual sounds. Whether it be gunfire, the roar of an engine, or dialogue, each sound is crisp, with an excellent use of the rear speakers helping to make Serenity a top tier Blu-Ray release.

In what I hope is going to be something we see more of in the future, Universal has included a number of new special features for this Blu-Ray release not found on its DVD and HD DVD counterparts. Kicking off these new features is a visual commentary with Joss Whedon and members of the cast. This is, in reality, the same audio commentary as found on the DVD and HD DVD release, albeit now presented visually. The standalone audio only track can also be accessed from the special features menu. Also new are BD-Live enabled features, none of which had been activated at the time of writing. A Picture-in-Picture track presents a behind-the-scenes look at the movie, with everything from rehearsals to interviews, some of which is taken from the standalone features included on the disc. The "Mr. Universe Compendium" is basically a trivia track that plays throughout the movie, but with added visual aids. Of more interest is the "Digital Tour of the Serenity," which opens an additional window with information and graphics related directly to the ship.

Apart from the new features you'll find everything from the previous Collector's Edition and HD DVD releases. The best of these returning features is the "Filmmaker's Journey" featurette (which did not feature on the HD DVD released in Region A territories, but did make it on the Region B release). Allowing Joss Whedon to discuss his film and offering insights from the cast and crew, this 20-minute piece is a pleasant surprise. There's a genuine affection held for these characters by each of the actors; the chance to reprise their roles was clearly a big deal for each of them. Deleted and extended scenes, some of which were not on the HD DVD, come with optional commentary to round off an impressive set of extras.

DVD Verdict Review

Thanks Frag for the quote. Well it looks like I'll be buying it tomorrow at bestbuy then. Now if anyone can tell me whether firefly on blu ray is worth it or not then I'll be all set.

thanks,
bill

...but Phantom Menace did rawk...

LOL

As a massive fan of Star Wars (I wore the crap out of my VHS copies as a kid), I always love to admit that I actually like Phantom Menace. At the very least, it's better than Attack of the Clones. The only real douchey part of PM, in my opinion, is Jar Jar, obviously. Almost the entire second film is just one, big, massive douche chill running up and down my spine.

I liked it too. Then when I watched it five years later I saw all of the reasons why it isn't like the old movies. Still entertaining though.

[quote name='mietha']No, it's a shitty movie based off a great show... I really don't see how a fan of the show could think any different. If someone saw the movie first and didn't know any better: sure, maybe. But the other way around? You people are insane. That's like claiming you're a Star Wars fan and saying Phantom Menace RAWKS! Seriously...[/QUOTE]

Heh funny story my friend saw the prequal trilogy first and loves phantom menace while hating the original trilogy for being boring. I don't really respect his movie opinions anymore ;)

But anyway I completely get what you're saying about Serenity. I went with a newbie to the franchise to see it in theaters and he was nowhere near excited enough afterward to check out the show . It was an entertaining movie and all but it didn't have that OMG I NEED TO SEE THE REST OF THIS quality it really needed to keep the franchise going. It answered some lingering questions that fans of the show had and that was that. Whedon is great at what he does but some of the best moments in Buffy and Angel came after a season's worth of build up to the action. Take that away and you just have a regular popcorn action fight show/movie which is about what happened with Serenity.

Did this just come out? I've been waiting for this to come along on BR. Going to pick it this up tonight at Best Buy for $22.99 with the use of my gift card.

I may get around to picking this up (for the second time since i own the original DVD), which I really don't like doing-- but I would really like the visual cast commentary and the possibility of Serenity BR events which apparently it hints at coming soon.

[quote name='Watchman']I may get around to picking this up (for the second time since i own the original DVD), which I really don't like doing-- but I would really like the visual cast commentary and the possibility of Serenity BR events which apparently it hints at coming soon.[/quote]

Some people who owns the HD-DVD version and the DVD version,.. now has to triple-dip. ;)

[quote name='lawl']I got mine earlier today from Amazon
6449f44a102fde848669bdd9eb6b76fa.gif
[/quote]

Me too. Can't wait to see it!

If you can't find this at any other store, Borders has 30 percent off the list price of all Blu-Ray's this week. Serenity ends up being 20.99 + tax.

I hate UPS. 2 day air and my order gets this:

PKG DELAY-ADD'L SECURITY CHECK BY GOV'T OR OTHER AGENCY- BEYOND UPS CONTROL

so instead of getting it yesterday, I might get it tomorrow. (fume). This is why I got Amazon prime?

I agree, the show was good, the movie alone was also good. However having that movie be the conclusion of of Firefly is terrible. I just take the show for what is it was think of the movie as being something completely different. It's not a poorly made movie, besides a very lame death, but doesn't have the feel or the characters acting like Firefly.

my god the serenity blu ray , the thing has a screen saver when you put it on pause

has 47 different subtitle tracks

the only draw back is that it takes to long to get to the main menu there two load times and a "what language you want" menu before you get to the main one.

Best buys in my area seems to have it in stock at 22.99 again, try and price match CC at 19.99 . I was able to do it with mine!

bread's done
Back