Serenity/Firefly questions?

Nutts

CAGiversary!
Feedback
45 (100%)
Hello fellow CAGs.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Firefly series that was short lived, and I've recently received the Serentity HDDVD. I love sci-fi, and it looks like a good movie, but I know nothing about the firefly series.

How closely tied together are the series and the movie? I kind of assume the movie came after the series. Would the movie make more sense if I watched the series first? It seems like a series I would be interested in anyway but I wanted to get some other opinions from fans and non fans about these two before I watched the movie or go out and try to aquire the DVDs of the series.

Thanks

You need to watch the series first before the movie.

It's a tragedy Firefly never survived past the first season, it really had potential to be a great sci-fi series.

While you can watch Serenity independently, I highly suggest you go out and buy Firefly (it's usually around $19.99 at Target and other places). You'll get a better sense of the characters and you'll get more out of the movie. There are little lines and actions each character does that will go over the head of people not familiar with the series. You know those moments where you think, "That is so that character to do that," while others will not even notice it.

Prepare to be incredibly pissed after though that the series never went anywhere. It's excellent.

[quote name='dopa345']You need to watch the series first before the movie.
[/quote]

seriously don't watch the movie before the series, it'll ruin it.

For all the same reasons everyone else has said, you need to watch the series before the movie. The main reason though is that the movie takes place two months after the end of the series.

You'll be very upset with yourself if you watch the film before the series. The film will have MUCH more impact if you're familiar with the characters and the universe.

yes it's true, WATCH THE SERIES first then the movie. I made the mistake of watching the movie (buying it) and not seeing the series until months later. BIG MISTAKE. It helps to watch it because the movie makes so much sense. People told me you don't have to watch the series to enjoy the movie, but they were fucken wrong!

As if it needed more emphasis - watch the series first. You won't regret it.

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."

[quote name='ITDEFX']
I don't get why they killed book or Wash
they were great characters in the show.[/quote]
Wash was my favorite character on the show, so I was really sad to see him die. I liked the mystery that surrounded Book in the show.
I think Joss killed off Book because he knew the most about the Alliance, and about the threat they faced from the Operative (I'm fairly certain he was an Operative in his younger days). As for Wash, in Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel happy couples never seem to stay together, which is why Wash was kill off. Joss just hates happy couples for some reason.
Of course another big reason Joss killed off two characters could have been because having 9 main characters in a TV show is fine but way too many for a 2 hour movie, and having 7 in the potential sequel (that will never happen:cry:) would make things way easier.

Wow. Thanks everyone. I wasn't entirely sure on the chronology of the series and the movie, but you all have confirmed what I thought was true. I'll definately pick up the series first. I've heard a lot of great things about it and I'm sure I'll like it.

I watched the movie, then the series, and then the movie again. I wasn't sure if I wanted to invest time into an entire tv series, but wanted to check out the storyline. You can pretty much just watch the movie and understand it since it can stand alone, but you'll get more detail having watched the series.

bread's done
Back