Seriously dude, this is freakin' ridiculous

FaintDeftone

CAGiversary!
Alright, here's my story.

I had a 360 on preorder at EB and got one at launch. The thing worked great up until a week ago. I started getting crashes and red rings of death during E3 week. I got pissed, but I didn't sweat it since I had my one year extended warrenty. I called EB up and they exchanged my console, but also charged me another 30 bucks for another warrenty. I paid for it with no complaints.

Well it's exactly a week later and guess what, the NEW 360 just died on me! I was playing Oblivion and it started locking up like crazy. I also noticed that the DVD drive makes clicking noises sometimes during load times, but I ignored it. Well after several lockups in Oblivion, BAM it breaks out with the 3 red rings again. It now does it even on the dashboard with no game in.

Not only did my 360 break AGAIN, I looked at my Oblivion disc and it's completely scratched, thanks to those clicking noises I'm guessing. Now Oblivion locks up in a certain spot every single time. This is ridiculous.

Now I'm going to have to return the 360 yet again, drag this heavy bastard through the mall again, pay another 30 fucking dollars for a warrenty, and probably wait until this happens again.

fuck YOU MICROSOFT!

Considering it hasn't been 30 days since you purchased it, you should be able to transfer the warranty to the exchanged console.

[quote name='daphatty']Considering it hasn't been 30 days since you purchased it, you should be able to transfer the warranty to the exchanged console.[/QUOTE]

I hope so.

What really pisses me off is the fact that this 360 potentially ruined my 70 dollar CE copy of Oblivion. I'll probably have to buy another one.

Yes, you shouldnt have to pay for a new warranty under the return policy. Just make sure you bring the reciept with you, because the ESA # on it is required to return the warranty.

Also, bring the game with you and plead your case, as they might switch that out also. On the occasion that something like that happens, I always switch out the game for them too, and just defect it out.

My 360 ate my Oblivion, didn't have the insurance on it but they replaced it anyways. EB/Gamestop is usually pretty good if you arn't lieing.

Thanks Microsoft, now I gotta pay 3$ extra every 360 game I buy for insurance.

yea dude as long as it hasnt been more than 14 days they will swap your crap 360 with a new one and transfer your warrenty to the new one they give you......trust me i do it all the time for customers that come into my store with their receipt before the 14 days........now if its past 14 days your crap out of luck and your gonna have to pay $30.........and yes the GPG warrenty for the games is worth ever penny i work at EB and i get it on all my games just in case something happens to my game.......as for your CE Oblivion if you have your receipt and its not past 14 days theyll swap with a new one if its past 14 days if the manager is cool they may swap it if not your crap out of luck well i hope you have your reciepts and your in the 14 day ranger dude cuz it sucks when you have to pay for other peoples mistakes.......fuck microsoft!! lol j/k

You have to pay for a new warrenty now? I didn't know that. Back when I had it on my PS2 they didn't make me pay for a new warrenty when I had to exchange mine.

How long is EB/Gamestops warranty? It should definitely be transferable to your new console. Also, wasn't MS replacing games that were damaged by scratching from a malfunctioning console? If EB/Gamestop won't replace it, I'd try calling that 1-800-4MY-XBOX number and seeing if they won't replace it. Why not just get the 2 year extended warranty from MS anyway? I mean, obviously it would be better if MS made sure to get all faulty consoles off the market, but when you first one broke, I would have just called MS and tried to purchase one of those 2 Year extended warranties.

[quote name='Stuka']How long is EB/Gamestops warranty? It should definitely be transferable to your new console.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. I think they pulled the wool over your eyes, Faint.

If anything, you should be pissed at yourself for not buying the Microsoft warranty. fuck store warranties; they're empty promises and free money for whatever store your purchase them from.

[quote name='Stuka']Also, wasn't MS replacing games that were damaged by scratching from a malfunctioning console?[/quote]

I remember something like that... I'm sure if you contacted them about it, they'd help you out. I don't see why not.

[quote name='Brak']Yeah. I think they pulled the wool over your eyes, Faint.

If anything, you should be pissed at yourself for not buying the Microsoft warranty. fuck store warranties; they're empty promises and free money for whatever store your purchase them from.

When you buy a warranty, it is for that system, so if it breaks within that year, you get another system. That is what the warranty does, so yeah if you want another system warranty, you have to pay for it. Now I don't get how you say store warranties are empty promises, I know tons of people that have gotten our store warranty and been very thankful.

[quote name='rvdrock']When you buy a warranty, it is for that system, so if it breaks within that year, you get another system. That is what the warranty does, so yeah if you want another system warranty, you have to pay for it. Now I don't get how you say store warranties are empty promises, I know tons of people that have gotten our store warranty and been very thankful.[/QUOTE]
Because the chances of what you've purchased breaking is very slim -- stores use fear in order to push warranties, which is why I'd rather purchase a warranty from the manufacturer and get rid of the money-grubbin' middle-man; this is why stores push warranties on CDs, DVDs and batteries -- shit you should be able to return if broken, regardless; and shit you don't even need a warranty on, to begin with.

In regard to a store warranty being for that system, I have to ask if the Microsoft warranty transcends system -- and I'm pretty sure it does, from what I've heard.

Might as well stick with the Microsoft warranty.

[quote name='willardhaven']You shouldn't have to buy a warranty for a 400 dollar piece of equipment.

Won't MS just send you a new one?[/QUOTE]

The sell warrantys fir $5000 TVs...should that stop too?
Just imagine how many warrantys will sell when PS3 comes out.

I've said this before but I'm only saying this because I think it might help. Make sure your 360 is getting enough power. That power brick is huge and it takes a good outlet to power it. If you have it plugged into a single outlet this won't help you any, it should be getting plenty of juice, but if you have it plugged into a power strip try somewhere else.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I'm sorry, but Microsoft has failed to pull off a succesful launch/first generation. Period.[/QUOTE]

Lumping games, publicity, console, consumer response, and intangibles into one ball of reaction and calling it "unsuccessful" is a fallacy.

1. The games have been good to great with very few awful games. The good games were highly successful.

2. Publicity was good. A decent marketing campaign hurt by a few early things like the MTV special debacle.

3. The console has been a complete mess. Far too many problems, even for a launch period where some people (not me) are willing to dismiss buggy/defective hardware as a "given" since it's early on.

4. Consumer response has been mixed, but that's just the nature of the industry when you have fanboys from the other side knocking it. For the most part, it looks like most people who have actually PURCHASED it are satisfied.

5. Intangibles. XBox 360 Live far surpasses anything on any current console as the best "extra" available. We'll see what happens when PS3 and Revolution come out, but for now Live 360 is it.

Overall, it was a decent launch that WOULD have been outstanding if MS didn't push it out the door before quality assurance had a better crack at it.

...period.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I'm sorry, but Microsoft has failed to pull off a succesful launch/first generation. Period.[/QUOTE]

Lumping games, publicity, console, consumer response, and intangibles into one ball of reaction and calling it "unsuccessful" is a fallacy.

1. The games have been good to great with very few awful games. The good games were highly successful.

2. Publicity was good. A decent marketing campaign hurt by a few early things like the MTV special debacle.

3. The console has been a complete mess. Far too many problems, even for a launch period where some people (not me) are willing to dismiss buggy/defective hardware as a "given" since it's early on.

4. Consumer response has been mixed, but that's just the nature of the industry when you have fanboys from the other side knocking it. For the most part, it looks like most people who have actually PURCHASED it are satisfied.

5. Intangibles. XBox 360 Live far surpasses anything on any current console as the best "extra" available. We'll see what happens when PS3 and Revolution come out, but for now Live 360 is it.

Overall, it was a decent launch that WOULD have been outstanding if MS didn't push it out the door before quality assurance had a better crack at it.

...period.

If you bought it less than 90 days ago, then Microsoft will replace it for free. You said you bought it a week ago. What's the problem?

2K Games or Microsoft will replace your disc, if it's within 30 days, and they might replace it anyways because the system caused the damage. Call either of them and see.

Your warranty that you just bought might be wasted because you will be getting an Xbox 360 with a different serial number. You might want to talk to the EB manager about it.

I took it in today. They gave me a new one, they replaced my Oblivion disc, and they renewed my warrenty for free. All is fine (so far).

[quote name='rvdrock']
When you buy a warranty, it is for that system, so if it breaks within that year, you get another system. That is what the warranty does, so yeah if you want another system warranty, you have to pay for it. Now I don't get how you say store warranties are empty promises, I know tons of people that have gotten our store warranty and been very thankful.[/QUOTE]

That's BS. That is why I would never get a warranty from gamestop/eb. You're not paying for a 1 year warranty, you're paying for a 1 time swap that lasts for a year. If you get the best buy one, you can keep swapping it out each time it craps up, and not have to pay more.

[quote name='pinoy530']That's BS. That is why I would never get a warranty from gamestop/eb. You're not paying for a 1 year warranty, you're paying for a 1 time swap that lasts for a year. If you get the best buy one, you can keep swapping it out each time it craps up, and not have to pay more.[/quote]
Yeah I agree. The Best Buy 2-year warranty is great. I bought my 1GB Iriver MP3 player there for $149.99 about 1 year & 7 months ago. The headphones broke recently so I just brought it to customer service and said it was defective. They offered me store credit or exchange. I saw that the same model (upgraded version) was only 69.99 so I asked for credit and got back about $162. Walked out the door with a little under $100, which will probably go towards purchasing a DS Lite:).

[quote name='Ma12kez']Yeah I agree. The Best Buy 2-year warranty is great. I bought my 1GB Iriver MP3 player there for $149.99 about 1 year & 7 months ago. The headphones broke recently so I just brought it to customer service and said it was defective. They offered me store credit or exchange. I saw that the same model (upgraded version) was only 69.99 so I asked for credit and got back about $162. Walked out the door with a little under $100, which will probably go towards purchasing a DS Lite:).[/QUOTE]

Now THAT is a cheap ass story to be proud of.

bread's done
Back