SERO - The formerly best cell phone plan (still good deal if you want a Blackberry).

djkunai

Banned
I just got sick of always seeing people asking about what the best cell phone plan is. Hands down, the best rates you could possibly find is SERO (however, coverage is YMMV).

SERO stands for Sprint Employee Referral Offer. Here's what you get
  • Unlimited Text Messaging
  • Unlimited Nights & Weekends starting at 7pm
  • Domestic long distance
  • Unlimited Mobile to Mobile
  • Unlimited Web/Data Access
  • Unlimited Picture Mail (with compatible devices)
500 anytime minutes for $30 / month

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BustaUppa']I've been looking into this. It's a hard sell for me since $300 would be, by far, the most I've ever spent on a phone. But the thing is damn pretty. Does it have any sort of free internet radio like the Palm Centro does? I actually ended up using that pretty often. I do see that Windows Mobile has this "Shazam" program that is a lot like the song ID feature on my old Verizon enV, which is a feature I've missed dearly. I get the impression that Windows Mobile is generally a much more active platform that PalmOS these days. Would you say that is the case? Anything in particular you find worth mentioning to really sell someone on the TP2? My two years is up in June, so now I'm starting to examine all my CERO-compatible options.[/QUOTE]

It has a Slacker radio app.. go to www.slacker.com to check out the service (its free). Its like pandora/last.fm except it also includes pre-made radio stations based on genres (indie, hip hop,etc..). The stream quality on the phone is very nice. There are also programs u can get to get access to shoutcast stations as well.

Not sure about which is more active but I do visit the forums of ppcgeek.com and XDA There are tons of cooked Roms (tweaked versions of Windows Mobile) and they are porting android to the phone as well.

For identifying songs, I don't know. I'm sure there is an app for that. If you just want to here a specific song there is Nanogroove or the youtube app.

Some things I like about the phone

Being able to use it as a stereo in my car. Since it has stereo bluetooth capabilities I just stream slacker radio or podcasts to my car stereo. I also listen to the Boston sports radio station I grew up with. Its nice hearing about my teams even though I'm now in North Carolina. (if you don't have a stereo that can do it, the phone has a headphone jack so you could just connect your phone to the stereo through the aux. jack).

I have RSS feeds setup on my phone so I can d/l podcasts right to my phone. My 80 gig Ipod has collected dust since I no longer need it for music or podcasts

What I like best about the TP2 is that it feels like a top of the line phone yet I'm still only paying $30 a month.

The web browser is functional. Opera Mobile works great on the device.

Twitter integration. I don't post but its nice to see updates from people in the game industry.

What I don't like:

Wish the battery life was better. I'm sure its how I use it though. I commute 40 minutes each way to work. Streaming internet radio stations or podcasts the whole time.

The Gsensor is a little wonky as well.

User interface isn't as well done as other Operating Systems.

Jealous of the rich marketplace and apps available for Iphone and android. That said there are alot of apps for the phone, you just have to search the web for them.

Would I get the phone if I wasn't limited like we are now? I'm not sure but, I am happy with the TP2

Thanks again for the insight homeland!

Anyone have experience with the GPS on the TP2? Is there a program you buy to activate it, or a subscription service of some sort (I assume it's not free)? If I can return the dedicated GPS I just bought, that might be the push I need to shell out the bucks for this phone.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Thanks again for the insight homeland!

Anyone have experience with the GPS on the TP2? Is there a program you buy to activate it, or a subscription service of some sort (I assume it's not free)? If I can return the dedicated GPS I just bought, that might be the push I need to shell out the bucks for this phone.[/QUOTE]

gps on google maps works great and its free. If you have someone in the passenger seat its a great tool and it seems more update to date then my tom tom. Only drawback is it doesn't have voice directions.

Definitely gonna be returning my GPS (just got the RMA label) which means I'm almost definitely gonna get a TP2! My original SERO deal ends June 1st - am I able to extend my contract right now and get a discounted phone, or will I have to wait until the original contract is actually up? I can hold out that extra month and a half if I need to, but I'll be getting impatient heheh...

[quote name='BustaUppa']Definitely gonna be returning my GPS (just got the RMA label) which means I'm almost definitely gonna get a TP2! My original SERO deal ends June 1st - am I able to extend my contract right now and get a discounted phone, or will I have to wait until the original contract is actually up? I can hold out that extra month and a half if I need to, but I'll be getting impatient heheh...[/QUOTE]

You can renew as many as 3 months before your contract ends and get the full discount.

[quote name='WhiteCastleRun']You can renew as many as 3 months before your contract ends and get the full discount.[/QUOTE]Oh wooooord! Nice. Figures the Sprint site is down right now. :p

Hey are you able to buy any sort of extended warranty on these phones? I'd much rather do that than the stupid monthly insurance they try to sign you up for.

Woohoo, I just ordered the TP2! Thanks for the helpful info and discussion, guys! I am stoked to be rocking the SERO plan on the pimpest phone possible :whee:

I wanna start ACCESSORIZING right away. What's the highest-capacity memory card that'll work in this thing?

[quote name='BustaUppa']Woohoo, I just ordered the TP2! Thanks for the helpful info and discussion, guys! I am stoked to be rocking the SERO plan on the pimpest phone possible :whee:

I wanna start ACCESSORIZING right away. What's the highest-capacity memory card that'll work in this thing?[/QUOTE]

Any updates on this? I'm going to be renewing my contract to get the $70 credit and then upgrading to the TP2. How do you like it? I'm switching from an old Blackberry 8330.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Really really hoping SERO, or whatever the hell it is now, will work with that Evo when it comes out in June...[/QUOTE]

EVO on SERO?

:rofl:

I'll have 2 of whatever you're on :beer:

Even on the EPR program, you'll probably get hit with the $10 EVO tax.

[quote name='manthing']Even on the EPR program, you'll probably get hit with the $10 EVO tax.[/QUOTE]

eh? What is this 10.00 of which you speak? I honestly haven't looked into it in about a month or so (~ when the Evo was first announced, so nobody knew nuthin) so don't know if it works with EPR or not, but I hope it does :D

argh, didn't know that. Thanks for the info though! I want an android phone for sure, but mebbe Evo isn't the right choice...

Sprint CS told me that due to customers' complaints, They'll be allowing phones that weren't allowed before, such as Android phones and the Evo, to be used with the SERO plan for an extra $10/month. Starting October 1st. I was about to upgrade.... now I think I'll wait :)

Looks like it is official. Sero users will be able to upgrade to a new Sero Premium plan.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/42978;jsessionid=51B0A56523E6D25AE6FF9833DB2FC3E0.app1jive1

Over the last few weeks there’s been some buzz in the blogosphere about changes to Sprint’s SERO plan. Currently the SERO plan doesn’t support a lot of the more advanced devices like the Samsung Moment, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, Palm Pixi, HTC EVO 4G or Samsung Epic 4G.

That’s about to change. Starting 10/1/10, current SERO customers will have the option to upgrade to a SERO Premium rate plan which will support all of Sprint’s phones including the latest and coolest ones. There will be two flavors offered: the SERO Premium 500 at $40/month and SERO Premium 1250 at $59.99/month and will match current SERO rate plans with two added features: Any Mobile Anytime and Unlimited GPS Navigation. 4G handsets such as HTC EVO 4G and Samsung Epic 4G will also require the $10/month Premium Data add-on.

Check out the FAQs for more information: http://www.sprint.com/everythingplus.

Tempting me to get an Android phone, but I think I may wait for WP7.

Just upgraded to Sprint SERO Premium. Called 888-603-7981, and had my account switched in a matter of minutes.

[quote name='Nibi']Just upgraded to Sprint SERO Premium. Called 888-603-7981, and had my account switched in a matter of minutes.[/QUOTE]I may have to upgrade to this. For only ten bucks more I can finally have one of those new sleek phones.

Just wondering, is this like any other Sprint phone/plan, where I have 30 days to back out if I don't like it? Also, any chance they'll give me some deals on a new phone? I'd like to try a Palm Pre, but I don't want to pay a fortune, and don't want to be stuck with it if I hate it. :/

[quote name='Access_Denied']Just wondering, is this like any other Sprint phone/plan, where I have 30 days to back out if I don't like it? Also, any chance they'll give me some deals on a new phone? I'd like to try a Palm Pre, but I don't want to pay a fortune, and don't want to be stuck with it if I hate it. :/[/QUOTE]

If you are a current Sero plan holder, yes you can back out after 30 days. As for discounts, that depends on where you are in your current contract. If you are renewing you can receive 150 rebate towards a new phone. Recently they had refurb phones for 79.99. I ended up buying a refurb Hero, and it works great.

[quote name='Malice']I may have to upgrade to this. For only ten bucks more I can finally have one of those new sleek phones.[/QUOTE]

You also get Unlimited Navigation, and unlimited minutes to "Any Mobile Any Time"

[quote name='Nibi']If you are a current Sero plan holder, yes you can back out after 30 days. As for discounts, that depends on where you are in your current contract. If you are renewing you can receive 150 rebate towards a new phone. Recently they had refurb phones for 79.99. I ended up buying a refurb Hero, and it works great.[/QUOTE]

OK, thanks. I think I'm going to try this out. When I got my last phone (Palm Centro), I did some slick talking, and I not only got them to give me the new 2yr activation price when I had a year left on my contract, but I even got them to just drop the MIR and just take the amount off instantly. Let's hope I can pull that magic again. :roll:

Also, can I do this in-store?

[quote name='Access_Denied']OK, thanks. I think I'm going to try this out. When I got my last phone (Palm Centro), I did some slick talking, and I not only got them to give me the new 2yr activation price when I had a year left on my contract, but I even got them to just drop the MIR and just take the amount off instantly. Let's hope I can pull that magic again. :roll:

Also, can I do this in-store?[/QUOTE]

Negative on instore, you have to call. Good luck!

Damn, if I had known this was going to eventually happen I would have kept my $30 SERO plan I dropped this past April.

Just ordered a Samsung Transform ($400 - $150 upgrade - $100MIR = $150). Can't wait for my new toy to arrive!! Had to go to Sero Premium ($40/month) but I figure with the unlimited mobile-to-mobile and navigation it's plenty worth it.

Sorry to bump an old topic, guys.

I just wanted to make sure the HTC EVO 4G is included in this plan? Because that's the phone I really want. Also, what is the number I call to upgrade and what exactly do I say to them?

Yes, you can pay a $10/mo fee to use any 'iconic' phone (basically any non WinMo smartphone). You also get free AMAT (any mobile any time) and GPS features. If you get the Evo or Epic, you also have to pay the $10/mo 4G charge.

If you already have a SERO plan, you just call employee customer care 8662641282.

All the information you could possibly want here:
http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211596

bread's done
Back