Set-top ATSC/QAM tuner

theclaw

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I have a 37" HD ready TV, except it has no tuner. At all. Which means no RF input either. So any consoles or other devices requiring RF, can't be directly connected (not even my precious NES2 top loader I'm a lucky owner of).

I'd like to fix this. These kinds of tuners aren't expensive from what I gather. Just horribly scarce as they're a niche item.

What the heck kind of backroom, shady, off-brand TV did you get that doesn't have a tuner? Or did you just buy a computer monitor?

[quote name='theclaw']Viore brand. Yes, I'm not mistaken. They actually made a model this large with no tuner. I found an old ad for it:
http://bfads.net/Viore-37-Widescreen-LCD-HDReady-TV-at-Office-Max-2006[/QUOTE]
The way I read that ad (and some other research I quickly did), is that was designed to be used as a computer monitor. That's why it doesn't have a tuner. It's not a TV at all, it's a computer monitor. The ad is just badly worded.

Unfortunately, beyond telling you that you bought a monitor and not a TV, I can't help. I've never seen anything remotely reasonably priced like what you're talking about. I vaguely remember stumbled across a device like you mentioned once, and that it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $200.

I suppose the semantics don't matter. It has composite, component, s-video, audio output for stereo receivers, and a remote control like any other TV.

Simply lacks an RF port. Far more features than I'd associate with a computer monitor.

If you have an extra PC around, you could look into getting a Tuner card. I like the Hauppauge cards. You could then use software like Windows Media Center for controlling it. I should note that the card I linked to was only a single tuner card.

If you want to connect old rf consoles, you could always use a vcr or settop dvd recorders. They have built in tuners. If you need a digital box, you might have to get an ota (over the air) one. I used to have a Samsung digital hdtv tuner sir-t451 back when hdtv's didn't have digital tuners. Don't know if they sell those types of boxes anymore.

Nah, I got rid of virtually all my spare PC parts. I don't remember whether I have one of those ports in mine. And even if I do, it'd be blocked since I've got a dual-slot video card.

[quote name='sirhc-']If you want to connect old rf consoles, you could always use a vcr or settop dvd recorders. They have built in tuners. If you need a digital box, you might have to get an ota (over the air) one. I used to have a Samsung digital hdtv tuner sir-t451 back when hdtv's didn't have digital tuners. Don't know if they sell those types of boxes anymore.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. They're NOT expensive. Just scarce. Equally low supply and demand, means low prices.

bread's done
Back