Setting up a Direct Connect Hub!

yellowaznboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
So, I'm trying to set up a hub in order to share some videos that I made and this seemed like the cheapest (as in free-est) method. I downloaded YnHub 1.031, but I'm confused on how to set everything up!

What do I put in Hub address? My external IP address? Is that the address that people will use to connect to my hub? What about ports?

Please bear with me as I have no idea what the hell I'm doing...

uhm...why not use XP's built in home networking wizzard?

with a hub...you either need to know each of the pc's ip addresses or computer name...

but, just use the xp home networking wizzard....it'll save you a ton of time.

hub address would be the ip address of your pc...go to the command prompt and type in IPCONFIG hit enter...that's your IP address

your external address would be the address that your ISP gives your modem or router - do you have a router? if so you'll need to look in it's configuration to find your external address).

If all else fails...read the manual.

The tutorial I found linked from this page: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc/7. Operating a Hub

shows that the port address is displayed and can be changed to your preference. You will almost certainly need to enable a pass-through on your router for the port. If you don't have a router, get one.

If you don't have a static IP address you could have problems. Some broadband addressesare pretty stable while other change frequently. The solution is to register a doamin name and use Dynamic DNS to have it stay pointed to your router's public address. This is discussed int he above link, too.

Great, so far. When I attempt to find my IP address by typing ipconfig in the command prompt, a black screen comes up and disappears almost as fast and I can't catch what it says. Instead, in my browser, I typed "home" and checked the IP address on this computer (I have a wireless network setup) like that. I assume it's the same? Is this what I put in the Hub address? Is this also what other people will use to access the hub?

I have SBC Yahoo! DSL, which came with a 2WIRE Homeportal 1000SW. Anyway, I followed the link, but got confused in all of that technical jargon.

[quote name='epobirs']The tutorial I found linked from this page: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/dc/7. Operating a Hub

shows that the port address is displayed and can be changed to your preference. You will almost certainly need to enable a pass-through on your router for the port. If you don't have a router, get one.[/quote]

What does "enable a pass-through" mean? How do I do that?

[quote name='epobirs']If you don't have a static IP address you could have problems. Some broadband addressesare pretty stable while other change frequently. The solution is to register a doamin name and use Dynamic DNS to have it stay pointed to your router's public address. This is discussed int he above link, too.[/QUOTE]

How do I check if I have a static IP address?

Thanks again for the help.

-Tim

by "command prompt" I mean going to START > RUN > type in CMD and then hit enter....you should get a DOS prompt...THEN type in IPCONFIG and hit enter...you should get your IP address (probably 192.168.x.x)

You probably don't have a static IP address from you ISP...you can get one from a free static IP provider (just forwards you to your ISP address)...don't know links off the top of my head...do a google search.

"Enable passthrough" really means PORT FORWARDING which means you need to open a few ports on your router to allow traffic to come through to the service on the inside (your pc) of the router. So if you need to have port 440 open in order for the app to run you'd have to setup port 440 on your router to point to the ip address of your pc. It just directs traffic. eitherway,you'll need to access the router's setup pages (usually done through the browser by hitting something like http://192.168.0.1 or something like that...check the manual for your router.)

So, my IP starts with 172.16.x.xx. Is this what people use to access my hub? Is it safe to give out this number?

I signed up for https://www.dyndns.org/, but I don't know what it does. I can pick a hostname, something like newbie.servegame.org, and my IP address 67.115.xxx.xxx is stored in Database/DNS. What am I doing? ;)

I'll figure out that port stuff later.

I used to have a direct connect hub. Its been a while since I used it and I don't have the hub software anymore but I can guide you through some of it. I have no clue what http://www.dyndns.org does but go to No-IP.com and sign up for their services there. Its free of charge. Once you are done with the registration you need to click add host. Create a host name and chose DNS Host (A) for your Host type. Now your hub address should be whatever your hostname was.no-ip.com. Now for the part of setting up the software. I used PtokaX but I don't know if thats still up on the net. If you are behind a firewall you are going to need to put a port number after the hub address. For example it could hostname.no-ip.com:(portnumber). If you are not firewalled then you don't need the port. I think that all you need to know to start one. My suggestion to you is once you got the hub to work I would suggest you take down that picture so people don't know what ports you have open.

[quote name='Nyquil']I used to have a direct connect hub. Its been a while since I used it and I don't have the hub software anymore but I can guide you through some of it. I have no clue what http://www.dyndns.org does but go to No-IP.com and sign up for their services there. Its free of charge. Once you are done with the registration you need to click add host. Create a host name and chose DNS Host (A) for your Host type. Now your hub address should be whatever your hostname was.no-ip.com. Now for the part of setting up the software. I used PtokaX but I don't know if thats still up on the net. If you are behind a firewall you are going to need to put a port number after the hub address. For example it could hostname.no-ip.com:(portnumber). If you are not firewalled then you don't need the port. I think that all you need to know to start one. My suggestion to you is once you got the hub to work I would suggest you take down that picture so people don't know what ports you have open.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion. The ports in the picture were the default. I haven't opened or forwarded any ports because I don't know how! I removed the picture just in case.

Edit: www.no-ip.com and www.dyndns.org seem to provide the same service. It maps the hostname to my external IP address, but people can't access my hub if they use this address. People can log in if they use the IP address that starts with 172.16.x.xx. I guess this means I have to forward a port to the router...I don't know how.

Alright, this is just crazy. Please bear with me.

So, I mapped a hostname for my IP through no-ip.com. Then, I typed "home" in my internet browser to get access to my Network Settings. Picture:

port.jpg

There, I played around with setting ports and stuff. I just randomly picked some numbers for TCP and UDP. Say, it is 1024. So, now I have this port open. In the Hub application, I put 1024 as the port, and for Hub Address, I put the hostname (something.no-ip.com:1024) in.

I sent the hub address to a friend and he successfully logged in to my Hub. At the same time, I log in to the Hub with dc++. The thing is, we can't download files from one another. I know that users in Passive mode cannot download from other Passive mode users. So, I try to set myself as Active mode. When I do, I have to put in my external IP and TCP and UDP ports I defined earlier. The thing is, when I put the port number here, the Hub application says "Failed to start listening on port 1024, port may be inuse." So, how can I run the Hub and set Active Mode at the same time? Picture of dc++ settings page:

dcsettings.jpg

What am I doing wrong? :error:

You need two ports. You can't use the same port to run the hub and download things from each other. So in order to remedy this problem open another port for downloading purposes or switch to passive mode for the time being if you friend is in active mode. All you need is different ports for the hub and for your connections. DC++ has changed a lot since I used it.

Seems logical. ;)

I did that, but my friend can't download files from me. I can access his folder easily, but when he tries to look at my folder, nothing shows up. He is in passive mode while I am in active mode, so there shouldn't be any conflicts. Man, such a waste of time.

I never heard of that happening but my only guess is for you to for you to turn the hub off and restart it might want to even restart your comp. Hopefully it will work then.

bread's done
Back