Setting up a small office phone system - Sites and/or suggestions?

Hockey37

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (100%)
Background - My dad and I have our own small business(es). There are only 2 employees, himself and I. We might be adding a third soon (my mom). Our current office complex has a phone system built in that we use and pay an access fee for. A shared secretary for several suites on this floor can answer the phone if the line is tied up, and ring in/transfer calls to other phones.
Well the office complex is taking our office and moving us to another part of the building. We don't like what they are offering us, so we are looking to move to another office complex closer to home. The new office complex does not have a phone system built in. We will be responsible for the phone system, basically we get a phone jack in the wall and that's it. So I am going to be in charge of setting up a system for the new office.

What we need - We will have 2 separate phone lines coming in, one for our marketing company and one for our distribution company. We will need 3 phones, all with access to both lines. We will need the ability to place calls on hold, transfer calls, voice mail, etc.
I would like that if the phone line is being used and another phone picks up on that line on accident, that it will not pick up on the current conversation, instead the line will act "dead" to the person that picked up on that line accidentally.
Also, ideally, I would like for one of the phones to be able to answer calls if the line is tied up, like a receptionist would be able to. If there was no answer on any of the phones, it would need to go to voice mail.

Are there phones readily available (i.e. Staples, Office Max,...) that I can buy and just plug in the 2 phones lines and have all the features I need? Is there something I need to contact the local phone company about?

I realize I may be asking for too much from what is available, but I'm hoping someone here might be able to help and or point me in the right direction, because I'm not having any luck right now.

I'm not sure if you can find something with all of those features at an office store. Voicemail is probably the most costly feature of them all. Most voicemail systems are essentially computers with hard drives or flash storage and all the associated costs. Your local phone company can probably offer what you're looking for and they'll charge you a monthly fee for it as long as you use it. Alternatively you could contact a local phone system installation company and buy a phone system outright from them (no monthly fees here other than stuff like tech support contracts).

Why not use a virtual phone system instead? All you need to have are an: internet connection, PC, existing phone lines and IP phones. Once subscribed to a provider all you need to do is plug your phones. All the configuration are pre-configured by the provider.

See this site:
myofficephonesystem.com

bread's done
Back