Sex Workers Call for GTA Boycott

oxidative

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Thanks to shacknews.com for the news.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/40820

I find this unbelievable. To blatantly say that the games allows for rape is rediculous. I wrote them a letter. I encourage you to as well.

Here is mine, let's see what response I get.

To Whom it May Concern:

I am writing in response to your recent boycott of the Grand Theft Auto games published by Rockstar. As a strong proponent of human rights and the Bill of Rights, I completely support your quest to decriminalize sex workers and legitimize their industry.

However, as an avid gamer I find your understanding and representation of Grand Theft Auto to be completely without merit. At no point, in any of the Grand Theft Auto games, is the player encouraged, or even able, to rape prostitutes or any other individual in the video game world. It is simply not possible. While it is true that a player may utilize the services of a prostitute, it is never encouraged or implied that you should murder a prostitute. The player is no more able, or encouraged, to harm a prostitute any more than the player is able to harm any other character in the game.

In the most recent game of the series, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the player is allowed to participate in a side quest that involves a Pimp/Prostitute dynamic. During this segment, the player is required to deliver a prostitute safely to a client. After a certain amount of time, the player is required to retrieve the prostitute and collect payment. If the “John” does not pay, the player is required to collect payment from the John by force. At no point is there an attempt to harm the prostitute by the player. In fact, if the prostitute is killed by either the player, the John or for any other reason, the mission is failed.

Finally, the content of Grand Theft Auto games is rated in the United States by the Electronic Software Rating Board, the ESRB. All games in the series have been rated ‘M’ for Mature. Under the ESRB regulations, video games rated ‘M’ are recommended only for individuals aged 17+. This rating is a direct reflection of Motion Picture Association of America’s, MPAA, ‘R’ rating for movies. Rated ‘R’ movies are for individuals aged 17+. Grand Theft Auto is no more targeted at children than the movies Kill Bill or Indecent Proposal, each rated ‘R’.

As representatives for individuals that are constantly subject to stereotypes and stigma, I find your organization’s misconception of the Grand Theft Auto video games alarming. It is no more appropriate me to state that all prostitutes undoubtedly have HIV/AIDS than it is for SWOP-USA to make the claim that the Grand Theft Auto video games encourage the murder and allow the rape of prostitutes.

I implore SWOP-USA to reconsider its statement regarding the Grand Theft Auto video games. I support your call for parental awareness of the Grand Theft Auto video games. I agree that the exposure of children to these video games should be monitored by parents. A child should be allowed to play Grand Theft Auto no more than she should be able to watch the movies Boogie Nights or Final Destination, for example. However, the statement that prostitutes are explicit targets for violence is simply not true. Additionally, the rape of prostitutes is not possible in these video games. As a male and advocate for the change of our destructive patriarchal and puritanical society, I find any accusations of rape without merit appalling.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. I eagerly await your response.

The player is no more able, or encouraged, to harm a prostitute any more than the player is able to harm any other character in the game.

Well, by that you mean you can kill them. They're going to read that and disregard the entire letter from that one statement alone.

bread's done
Back