Shadow of the Colossus Review

Mr Durand Pierre

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
Shadow of the Colossus

Shadow of the Colossus is unlike any other game you've ever played. The gimmick being advertised is the record breaking size of the colossi, but the real gimmick is the fact that the only fighting in the game is with the bosses, (though they're not really "bosses" since there are no smaller minions to look up to them). This was a ballsy move on the developer's part, as it's the only game in history I can think of that does this, but it also shows a lot of confidence in its minimalist approach. And by golly, it works!

Fighting off hordes of smaller enemies would only slow down the pacing of the game and get in the way. After playing Shadow, I've fallen in love with this idea so much that I can easily imagine other types of games adapting to it. Like a boss only Metroid game, or boss only Zelda.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. The gameplay is a mixture of puzzle-solving, action, and adventuring (i.e. exploration). At the outset of the game you’re given a horse, sword, and bow & arrow, and you must track down the 16 colossi and kill them in hopes of reviving your dead beloved. Your sword is kind of magical and reflects sunlight to point you in the direction of the next colossi (yes, the game is pretty linear like this), so you simply must follow it, which can sometimes involve exploring to find a way to where you have to go.

But the real meat of the game is actually fighting these 16 giants. Contrary to how it may sound, this really is more of a puzzle game than an action game. Which is not to say that the battles aren’t frantic. Because they can be, especially once you start climbing a colossus. They’ll shake and try to knock you off, and the climbing mechanic in the game is near perfect. You can hold onto a colossus’s fur with the R1 button, but your grab meter decreases as you hold. But if you let go for a second your meter recharges much much faster than it drains. So when a colossus tries shaking you off its wing, alternating between grabbing and healing can be plenty exciting.

But with most colossi, the difficulty comes from figuring out how to climb onto them in the first place. Each one is like its own puzzle. In fact, I’d go so far as to say that though Shadow is more of an action game than Ico, Shadow still has even harder puzzles. Some battles will even feature multiple actions just to get onto the colossi. And no two are alike. The sheer variety of these colossi is amazing. I said before that this is mostly a puzzle game, and it’s worth noting that most colossi are rather peaceful and won’t put up much of a fight unless you’re climbing them. (The exceptions usually being the smaller colossi who make up for their size with their feistiness.) While this may disappoint action junkies, this really helps blend the action and puzzle solving really well, since you won’t be attacked too much while you’re trying to figure stuff out.

One thing that really took me by surprise is how great the story is. The plot is beautifully simple. While the basic premise is just slaying giants to rescue a damsel in distress, there’s a lot more to it without ever seeming overly complicated or contrived. For example, we’re told right at the beginning that slaying the colossi will not necessarily bring your beloved back. This, crossed with the fact that many of the colossi are portrayed sympathetically, really make you cast doubt upon your ambiguous quest. The game features very few characters and hardly any dialogue or long cutscenes, and yet manages to do so much with so little. As soon as I beat the game I started looking up different interpretations of the ending. The writing is so open-ended that I’ve heard multiple theories that all make sense. Without giving anything away, I’ll say that the universe depicted in Shadows may or may not tie into Ico, and while they don’t necessarily tie into each other, they may, adding a whole new level of depth to this saga. But you need not have played Ico to appreciate this beauty of Shadows.

And speaking of beauty, the game really is a sight for sore eyes. The art direction is amazing and manages to do so much with so little. There are very few man-made structures in the game, but the plains, deserts, caves, etc, all look great. Adding to this is the superb soundtrack. Some of the best music I’ve ever heard in a game.

But no game is perfect, and Shadows does have some flaws, some of which are pretty noticeable. The worst problems with the game are purely technical. The framerate, while playable, still leaves something to be desired. There are a few other graphical glitches, like backgrounds popping into existence, pixilation, and I’ve even heard reports of your character turning invisible! I also had the game lock up on me once (luckily not into the heat of battle).

The other problem with the game is that it’s slightly marred by an awkward control scheme. While the climbing mechanic is great, jumping can feel a bit awkward, and your horse can be a pain to control. You don’t have much control over his speed, and when he runs into something he’ll come to a dead stop and it takes awhile to turn him around. It rarely hurts that much during colossi fights, but it can be annoying navigating around trees.

The only other issue I had with the game is a fairly minor one; Considering how great the puzzles are regarding the colossi, it’s disappointing that getting to them is so straightforward. Sometimes you’ll have to run around something like a mountain range, or canyon, to reach your destination, but there aren’t any real puzzles getting to where you have to go. But how cool would it have been to have some Ico-like puzzles just getting from place to place? Like shooting a rope to drop a draw-bridge, or something like that. As it is, the exploration is more along the lines of getting from place to place in Jak 3. It’s not bad per se, and it helps with the atmosphere a lot, but it is sort of a missed opportunity.

Though marred by a few technical issues, Shadow of the Colossus is certainly a work of art. Those expecting a button twitching action game will be disappointed, but for those expecting a creative, beautiful, thought provoking puzzle game will not be disappointed.

Pros:
-Great puzzles
-Climbing the colossi is great
-Visually amazing
-Great soundtrack
-Emotionally engaging (the ending is killer)

Cons:
-Framerate and other minor tech flaws
-somewhat awkward camera/controls
-open environments are a missed opportunity

Overall 9.3 (out of 10)

Note: I’ve beaten the game once on normal. I haven’t tried hard mode, or time-attack yet, so I’m curious to see how well replay value holds up. The single player quest took about 11 hours, so replay value is important. I may change my score higher or lower later depending on this.

I own the game and completely agree with you. They were saying that it would take 25 hours to beat. However after about 45 mins of play I had already beat the first two. I then knew that it would not be 25 hours.

[quote name='Graystone']I own the game and completely agree with you. They were saying that it would take 25 hours to beat. However after about 45 mins of play I had already beat the first two. I then knew that it would not be 25 hours.[/QUOTE]

perhaps 25 hours for all modes?

in either case i am picking this game up tomorrow at TRU... if they dont have it, well ill just be down right sad

Just beat the demo. Needless to say I just set the alarm to wake up early and get to TRU tomorrow to make sure I get a copy.

According to the game's US localization producer, "The game could probably be beaten in 8-9 hours. Realistically, without a strat guide and dying a few times it will take 12 + hours. And this is for the first time. I am not going to name names, but some of the media have received (p)review copies and a few have taken over 20 hours to beat the game."

So yeah, it's pretty short.

[quote name='BIG5']According to the game's US localization producer, "The game could probably be beaten in 8-9 hours. Realistically, without a strat guide and dying a few times it will take 12 + hours. And this is for the first time. I am not going to name names, but some of the media have received (p)review copies and a few have taken over 20 hours to beat the game."

So yeah, it's pretty short.[/QUOTE]

On length: It took me about an even 11 after a single play through. I'm now going through the time attack mode (where you can play any colossi you want, each with their own time limit) and I beat the first 12 in just over 2.5 hours. I'm estimating it'll take about 4 hours to beat all of them IF you know what you're doing.

I'd also estimate hard mode taking maybe 6 or so hours, and god knows how long hard mode time attack would take. So a 25 hour estimate for all modes may not be so far off.

And it's worth noting that after 2.5 hours of refighting old colossi, I'm finding the replay value to hold up extremely well. I expressed concern over the controls and was worried that once you had the puzzles down the action would be second rate, but in reality the action only gets better once you've gotten a grasp on what to do. I'm really enjoying taking these colossi down again, and can't wait to try out hard mode.

A new thought on SotC:

I never really considered videogames to be art before. I've played a few games that have had exceptionally good writing (like Grim Fandango, or Sly 2), but they felt like they could have adapted the story and characters into a movie and it would have worked fine. My philosophy was that videogames are interactive for a reason; and that reason is because they should be fun to play first and foremost. Any good writing, or art design, or music is strictly an added bonus.

But SotC is the first game I can think of that has a really good story that actually would not work in any other medium. The game is so visual that it would certainly not work as a book, and as a comic or movie, the beggining and end work fine (as cutscenes are movies after all), but making a movie of killing all the colossi sounds really long and boring. Sure, you could round the number down to maybe 7 colossi, and have an action montage of it, but then the epic quest would be over with way too fast. And you couldn't pad out the story since the whole point is that the landscape is barren with no other people. What I find intriguing about this is that this beautiful story simply could not be told any other way, than to have it as a videogame and let people seek out and slay the colossi on their own. In this respect, I have finally come around to considering videogames as a legitimate art form.

On a side note Ico may fit this criteria as well, but to a slightly lesser extent. Even though I found that particular game a tad overrated, I can respect it more on the merit of what it's done for the medium.

i have fallen in love with this game, all of what you say is true. there some times that the controls are frustrating, and the framerate isnt perfect. but the gameplay is simply amazing. im suprised actually how long it takes to beat the colossi, it actually is going to last about as long as ICO, with less action and puzzles, but its still just as great. the graphics are amazing... not each pixel itself, but the environments and atmosphere they leave are fantastic. this is greatly greatly compliminted by the music, which is superb, simply one of the best soundtracks i have ever heard. go pick this game up at TRU while you can get it cheap... hell i would have paid full price, its only 40.

Ok I have not been playing it like I have wanted to. I have yet to die and I have 6 boss beat at two hours and 15 minutes. making me think that a 7 hour beating is feasiable.

[quote name='Graystone']Ok I have not been playing it like I have wanted to. I have yet to die and I have 6 boss beat at two hours and 15 minutes. making me think that a 7 hour beating is feasiable.[/QUOTE]

If you think that the first six are any solid indication of the difficulty of the remaining Colossi, you've got another thing coming.

I am very surprised that a game like this has touched off so much interest. I too have been following this game since it was first announced and I was able to pick it up courtesy of TRU B2G1 sale. I hope I enjoy it as much as the reviewer did.

I just beat it and it is now my favorite PS2 games. It is on of those that makes me think that if I bought a PS2, this game and nothing else I would still feel like it was worth it.

Before the credits rolled I thought the ending was either bad or perfect. I couldnt decide but now after I saw I'm just plain confounded. Is it a happy or sad ending? What happens next?

And did anyone else feel bad when that thing happens to your horse? I know I did, that horse was freaking awesome! I yelled a bit at the screen and was pissed of for a little while. Best part of the ending : the horse.

[quote name='pop311']Is this game a sequel or prequel to ICO? How is it related to ICO? I have played ICO so I don't know?[/QUOTE]

If anything, it's a prequel. As for how it's related, everyone seems to have their own opinion. Just play it and you'll start to see the connections.

I really think that SotC is a prequel. It was a great game. The story was very poignant. Does that mean when we were attacking the colossi, we were killing "good guys?" They were the seal that kept the Dormin in check.

[quote name='Dante Devil']Does that mean when we were attacking the colossi, we were killing "good guys?"[/QUOTE]

Essentially, yes. They were innocent. They were merely defending themselves, as well as the seals.

Anyone else notice that you can actually get to Mono in the final playable part of the game when the white vortex in the shrine is sucking you into it? If you repeatedly tap the jump button you'll do a series of short hops that will gain a fair amount of ground before you tumble end over end. After a little effort you'll eventually reach the altar where Mono's body rested, but her body isn't there. The exits next to alter have invisible walls around them so you can't get out that way, nor can you climb the large circular staircase right next to the vortex. Strange that developers would make her body disappear, but maybe they just figured that no one would actually make it over to her.

[quote name='sfriedlander']how long would u say it really takes[/QUOTE]

It took me about 14 hours. But, I know someone who beat the entire game in about 6 hours.

bread's done
Back