Shadow of the Colossus worth it?

aoLat

CAGiversary!
I am looking for a new unique game, but I'm not sure if this is it. I have been hearing that the game is only around 6-12 hours which bothers me. I USUALLY don't play games through more than once, but this could be an exception. I've got enough GR credit sitting around for it +$20 out of my own pocket. I thought the demo of it was just "ok", but I've been hearing great things about it, other than its length. Should I buy it or rent it? Thanks guys.

[quote name='The VGM']You have to also ask the ones who reply if they liked that shitfest that is ICO.[/QUOTE]

This from someone who thinks Pheonix Wright is a better game than Castlevania DS

[quote name='bostonfrontier']This from someone who thinks Pheonix Wright is a better game than Castlevania DS[/QUOTE]

evanescence7fd.jpg

Kill yourself.

rent it for a week @ BB... I was able to beat in within a week..

$6.99

I'll but this game for sure once I see it under $20... & I'm sure it will...

Shadow is a great game, one of my favorites. ICO is one of my favorites as well.. I'm only like 10% into Shadow though... I'm gonna go play some now...

From what I've heard/seen of this game, I'll definitely grab it when it's $20 or under. BTW, you've got an awesome sig, Phrost. Then again, my affinity for Jin/Devil Jin could make me biased. :)

[quote name='mcgavin27']I would say rent, it is good but an acquired taste.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... you'll either love this game or won't be able to understand it/lose patience with it.

I would buy. The flying dragon battle is the best, I could play that over and over. But rent first to see if you truly like it. If its either or then buy.

It is definitely worth it. If you actually spend some time exploring and not just going from colossus to colossus your first play-through will last around 12-14 hours. There are many interesting things to do aside from the "boss" battles. Then you have time attack mode, which allows you to unlock many new items. There is also a hard mode(+ hard time-attack), in which the colossi battles are not quite the same as they were the first time around. You won't truly be able to "beat" the game in a rental, though you could probably play through normal mode.

I'd say rent it. It's pretty short and most of the collosi aren't that great. A few of them are great (the demo one was better than most), but still not really replayable.

Well, if the demo didn't blow you away, I don't think you're going to like the whole game. While each colossus has their own pattern to figure out and defeat, that's all the game is--finding and defeating one big, bad boss, one after another.

That said, I love this game. The demo was fun for me, and the game so far has been well worth the $20 or so I ended up getting it for (using store credits from past trades). The game does give a real sense of accomplishment, at least IMO, and I'm the type of player who'd probably play it again, just for the heck of it.

The first time you play through it will be amazing. The game is art.

But, a normal play through does not take very long so you may want to consider renting it.

I've only played the demo and I've decided to wait.

I agree that its a good idea to support games you believe in, so that may be a reason to buy it now. I bought both Katamari games on release for this reason.

The three main reasons I'm waiting are:

1) I'm not sure the game is really my thing . . . beautiful but "limited" in that you really do only one thing--battle the giants.

2) I'll do a rental to discover more about it first (I get 2 free BB rentals with their online plan . . . netflix-type deal). I have Warriors out now and will rent Colossus or Deadlocked next week.

3) I have so many games to play anyway (like, I got PO Jade Empire LE last week for $11 from EB) and I am waiting on drops for many others (God of War etc.) that I can put off a purchase for months with no sweat.

bread's done
Back