Shadowgrounds Survivor - $4.99 on Steam until 5/12

Edge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Another weekend sale is happening on Steam, this time the deal is Shadowgrounds Survivor for $4.99 (regular price $19.99).

I have vaguely heard of the game before but didn't have much interest in it, but the gameplay trailer looks pretty decent. It's a top down action game with a skill/RPG leveling system and a rather impressive physics and lighting engine. Unfortunately it only supports local multiplayer (no LAN or online play), so have a gamepad handy if you want to go through it with a friend. The game is a spinoff/sequel to the original Shadowgrounds, so you don't need to have the first one to play it.

The game can be purchased on Steam, or through the Steam website. There is also a demo available there.

Shadowgrounds Survivor on Steam

It's an alright game. I don't know if they improved anything from the original version (Shadowgrounds). I'm playing the game at the moment and the pistol is extremely powerful. I don't use the other guns. I hope they improved it. It's not too bad for 5 bucks.

I have a cheap GameTap subscription ($60/year) and have played Shadowgrounds: Survivor on the service. Don't go looking for great story and characters. But if you just want to have fun blowing stuff up and upgrading your guns, it's my favorite top down shooter. I've played RIP 1-3, Alien Shooter Vengeance, Take No Prisoners, Mageslayer, the original Shadowgrounds, and Crimsonland (my second favorite top down shooter). I've probably played more than that, but those are what sprang to mind.

It's not so much with the big bosses like the original. It's more about swarming you with normal size baddies. Also unlike the original which gave you all the guns, there are three different protagonists with different weapons, upgrades, and play styles. I thought it helped the game feel more varied and liked that I didn't have to keep track of a half dozen different ammo levels, but if you like having all the guns all the time, that might be a turn off.

Also, the game includes editing utils. I haven't tried any user created maps yet, just played through the main game twice, so take that for what it's worth.

Ditto. Played through the demo a bit, liked it enough to grab for $5.

These weekend deals are starting to put a (small) dent in my wallet. First Prey, then the Civ 4 pack, and now this.

Hope Steam keeps it up, and I might jump on this. Tried the demo and it seems like it could be fun. Better than Crimsonland though? I just don't know man. I JUST DON'T KNOW!

Thank God steam does this. With the slow move to digital downloads, I've always been afraid that content providers would just never lower prices and consumers would all get screwed(Microsoft). Steam is pretty proactive on this front lowering prices on newer and older games regularly.

I liked Crimsonland as pure action. But there were elements that didn't do it for me. The upgrade system didn't seem that interesting. It seemed like improving item drops and durations was the only way to go. Also only having one weapon at a time didn't give me many options in combat. And accidentally running over new guns sucked.

I liked Crimsonland for sheer carnage, but I like the quality of Survivor a bit better. It probably also bears mentioning that I am old. :)

True. Just tried the survival mode again, and after figuring out how upgrades and leveling up worked I could see it being pretty neat.

[quote name='seththefallen']Thank God steam does this. With the slow move to digital downloads, I've always been afraid that content providers would just never lower prices and consumers would all get screwed(Microsoft). Steam is pretty proactive on this front lowering prices on newer and older games regularly.[/quote]

Agreed. While you're on Steam, pick up Xcom Terror From the Deep for 5 bucks, because a boxed copy is UNBELIEVABLY expensive.

Picked the game up myself. Pretty fun really, I'm surprised at how good the actual graphics and physics engines are when the art design is rather meh (the models and animations are pretty poor, but the volumetric lighting and shadow effects are terrific). It's OK as far as a generic shooter goes, I like the upgrade system and the combat is fun if repetative. Not really any reason to use anything other than the main weapon for your character though, the pulse rifle for the first guy and flamethrower for the second are definitely the straight-up best options to use (haven't gotten the third character yet).

The AI sure is poor though...enemies almost always end up getting stuck on objects and they don't do anything except run right at you clumped together. Would've been nice to see them trying to run to your sides or use some kind of basic pack tactics instead of just rushing in to be bullet fodder.

Bought the pack (SG + SG:Survivor) for 15 bucks. Pretty happy with the purchase, really enjoying blowing shit up... and for five bucks for Survivor, that is a very pretty game for the price. I've played far, far worse titles than this.

Even though it's only a weekend deal, the deal is oddly still alive... most weekend deals seem to get killed Monday morning, surprised this one was still up.

Demo was taking too long to download, and I didn't know when Valve would jack the price up, so I bit.

I loved games like Smash TV, so I hope to like this as well... can't go wrong for $4.99.

Plus, I'm always down to support real PC games and their developers that take the time to provide a good PC experience.

Same here Roufuss. While it'll be months before I get around to playing it, for $5 it was hard to pass up.

The devs said that the next iteration will feature proper multiplayer. Joy.

Anyone who remembers Alien Breed on Amiga, you MUST get this. I was a fan of Shadowgrounds 1, so I bought this one the second I saw that it was down to $5.

[quote name='seththefallen']Thank God steam does this. With the slow move to digital downloads, I've always been afraid that content providers would just never lower prices and consumers would all get screwed(Microsoft). Steam is pretty proactive on this front lowering prices on newer and older games regularly.[/QUOTE]
Just FYI, "Steam" (by which I assume you mean "Valve") doesn't set the prices; it's all entirely up to the publishers. Promotions such as this one are also up to the publishers.

Anyways, while I agree that some games are down to decent prices, I also think that there are an awful lot of games on Steam in the $20-and-under range that are seriously about twice as much as they should be. I mean seriously, $20 for OG Splinter Cell? $20 for Call of Duty 1, and another $20 for it's expansion? $20 for Doom 3 and The Movies? Yeowch.

Another one I find especially stupid is Ubi charging $10 for FarCry. I'd bet the farm that they'd sell more than twice as many copies at $5 than they do at $10, most likely off of impulse buys. People will spend $5 on an old game (even one they weren't specifically looking to buy) without thinking, but $10 is an amount that a lot people will have to consider a bit more carefully before they're willing to drop the bills.

bread's done
Back