Sharing connection from laptop to Xbox

jmon22

CAGiversary!
Alright this laptop is set up using a wirless connection. I have the Xbox hooked up to the laptop. What do I have to enable to share the wireless connection the laptop is getting with the xbox??

Its like this PC - Wireless Conn. - Laptop- E. Cable - Xbox

Thanks

I assume you could get the wirless adapter from microsoft or link sys for the xbox to receive the wireless connection, but I would also assume you would need a wireless router hooked up to your laptop to send out the signals. Thats how a desktop would do it at least, not familar with laptops.

Right, the xbox would have to have a wireless receiver, in this case the wireless adapter from microsoft or link sys for the xbox. Then a wireless router hooked up to the labtop to send out the wireless signals. Also you have to make sure the router is compliant to the xbox receiver such a g or b compatiable router. I know the microsoft reciever is g and b compatiable and link sys makes a b and g reciever.

[quote name='BigNick']i dunno, maybe enabling internet connection sharing.[/quote]

I know it is something along those lines, but im not sure exactly how. About the wireless receiver. I don't need one. The laptop is acting as the receiver.

One more thing ive tried microsoft.com and couldnt really understand what to do with what they gave me.

I saw a topic like this a while ago and im sure a few CAGs know how to do this so I would be really appreciative if someone could help.

Well when I go to network connections, I have 3 different things, 1394 connection, wireless network connection, and local area connection. I have chosen to have all of them share the connection and neither worked so I think im missing something.

It's covered pretty thoroughly in the Help center if you search for 'internet connection sharing.'

One question. Is your PC hooked up directly to the internet? You diagram suggests that your WAP is hanging off the PC rather than a router or switch connected to a router. With routers available for a s little as $20 these days it's extremely ill-advised to have a PC connected directly to the outside world.

The internet connection goes from the wall, to the dsl box (wire), into the back of the router (wire), and from the router to the main pc (wire). The router is wireless so thus how I get a connection to the laptop I am typing on now. I have a solid cord going from the back of this laptop to the xbox.

Ok, so you're properly covered on that front.

You can use ICS to achieve this but I'd only recommend it as a temporary measure. If you look at ads you'll see that many wireless routers are much less expensive than wireless bridges. THe secret is that the routers often have a mode that turns them into a wireless bridge. (Linksys and Microsoft units are two I've used in this mode.) It's a trivial bit of software once you've designed a wireless router so it's surprising more don't have the feature.

Anyways, a wireless router is a less expenisve wireless bridge and serves as a backup in case your router dies, too.

i know w/certain "apps" for pc -> xbox -> pc wireless netwkg is not supported. :( but, i can't confirm.

what r u trying 2 do? (pm)

[quote name='epobirs']Ok, so you're properly covered on that front.

You can use ICS to achieve this but I'd only recommend it as a temporary measure. If you look at ads you'll see that many wireless routers are much less expensive than wireless bridges. THe secret is that the routers often have a mode that turns them into a wireless bridge. (Linksys and Microsoft units are two I've used in this mode.) It's a trivial bit of software once you've designed a wireless router so it's surprising more don't have the feature.

Anyways, a wireless router is a less expenisve wireless bridge and serves as a backup in case your router dies, too.[/quote]

Well I don't really want to buy another router if I don't have to. I know there has to be some way for this laptop to share its connection with the xbox, since they are only about 2 feet away from each other at the moment.

BTW, whats so bad about ICS that it should only be used temporarily??

in re to ur pm, i think the site like xbl needs to see ur xbox directlyl, otherwise you can find some more info on a site called xbconnect but last time i checked, networking two connections on any single pc/laptop requires alot of networking knowledge and one or more networking applications to be installed on that pc/laptop (of course ur laptop.) it should be easier but i'll ask around. hopefully you get ur answer before i do. peace!

[quote name='minos1067']in re to ur pm, i think the site like xbl needs to see ur xbox directlyl, otherwise you can find some more info on a site called xbconnect but last time i checked, networking two connections on any single pc/laptop requires alot of networking knowledge and one or more networking applications to be installed on that pc/laptop (of course ur laptop.) it should be easier but i'll ask around. hopefully you get ur answer before i do. peace![/quote]

Hey thanks a lot, I doubt I'll figure it out myself before you do, not without some help at least.

if i am not mistaken, i believe you need a crossover cable as opposed to a regular cat 5 lan cable.

crossover cables have different types of heads while normal cables don't
physically the wire looks the same its just the head difference

MS offers free chat support at any time. I've found that to actually be somewhat useful. It is possible to use ICS to get an Xbox online, I'm not sure it's possible to use Router AND ICS to get online. Sounds like lots of potential IP conflicts to me.

i just had to do this internet connection sharing thing this past monday with my xbox. what you need is a crossover cable (as previously mentioned). from what i was told, all crossover cables are orange, where the normal cables can be a variety of colors. i know this because i bought the wrong kind of cable and had to return it for the crossover one.

anyways, after getting the right cable, just plug it into your xbox and your laptop, then check this out: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/connect/windowsics.htm. that's what i used to help me and it took like 2 minutes once i had the right cable. now, it may be different since you are on a laptop with the wireless stuff and i'm just using a normal PC, but i can't imagine it would be that different.

all i had to buy was the cable, which cost about $20. the ICS works perfectly fine, too. i don't think you need a router and all that unless you have more going on. i don't know that much about computers, though.

[quote name='mofo1115']if i am not mistaken, i believe you need a crossover cable as opposed to a regular cat 5 lan cable.

crossover cables have different types of heads while normal cables don't
physically the wire looks the same its just the head difference[/quote]

No, crossover cables use the exact same RJ-45 connector as a regular patch cable. I make my own cable when I need custom lengths and I can assure you the only difference is which pins are connected to which wires. You can find numerous sites that detail this online.

[quote name='kev']MS offers free chat support at any time. I've found that to actually be somewhat useful. It is possible to use ICS to get an Xbox online, I'm not sure it's possible to use Router AND ICS to get online. Sounds like lots of potential IP conflicts to me.[/quote]

No, it isn't a problem in that respect. It's known as double NATting where NAT stands for Network Address Translation. This is merely the PC acting as a router and DHCP server. This already happens at two layers deep with a PC connected to a router which is then connected to the ISP's router. It's just adding another layer.

The only real concern is added latency.

bread's done
Back