Sharing on Xbox One - NEWS TO ME :)

BCPhotog

CAGiversary!
Hey guys, just wanted to inform you of this which I came across the other day after stumbling upon the Xbox home setting in my xbox one.  Basically as the article explains.  You and a friend can share any kind of digital games you both purchase.  You can set your home xbox on his console and he does the same and then you can play each others games without the other one being signed in.

Explained in full below: 

Tutorial:
Method 1: It's very simple and the better method, find a friend (mutual trust is needed as you must share account information), have him set his Xbox One as your Home Xbox. You then set your Xbox One as his Home Xbox. This can be done in the settings, and then scrolling to the bottom where it says 'Set as My Home Xbox.' You are now sharing games. I don't recommend trying to do this with people online.

Method 2: It is also possible for one person to have multiple people sharing with him. If one person were to make his Xbox One the Home Xbox for two other people, he can then play his purchases, along with the purchases of the two other people. He can then do this for 3, 4, 5 or more people. This method only works if you know people willing to share their library with you even when you're not sharing yours. Keep in mind this is only beneficial for a single individual; the person who's Xbox One is set as the Home Xbox for all their friends.

Explanation:

The way that game sharing works is that it takes advantage of the Dual License that comes with each purchase of a Digital Game. If I buy a game, I get an Xbox License for my Home Xbox and a User License for my Gamertag.

When I set my Home Xbox to a friends Xbox One, he then gets the Xbox License for as long as that is my Home Xbox. He can then play all the games I purchase because the Xbox License allows all people to play games on my Home Xbox (his Xbox One). I then can play games using the User License on an away system, one that isn't my Home Xbox (my Xbox One). You are taking advantage of the Dual License. So if he makes your Xbox One his Home Xbox, you effectively use all 4 licenses and it allows you to share games.

Keep in mind you can only change your home Xbox 3 times a year.  So don't be flipping around friends every few days.  But if you find a friend that is willing to share games its a huge bonus.

Be curious to know if this works with EA ACESS and Season passes.

Hope this is news to a few people, as it was to me

I don't think this works the same as with the 360.  With 360, the way that I did it was allow a friend to sign in to my account, purchase the game using my account on their console, and then have them log out.  They would get THAT game, but not all of my games.  This method allows you to play all of each other's online purchases without any pre-purchase preparations.  You simply share accounts once, set each console to the other's Home console, and from then on out each console gets both downloads.

My friend just discovered it because his brother came over and played Destiny on his own gamertag before buying his own XB1, then a week later bought an XB1 and Advanced Warfare preorder for himself.  My friend's XB1 preloaded Advanced Warfare for him.  Very thoughtful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Confirmed this works, by the way.  After you've done the switch, log in as yourself and go to "My Games", and then select the option "All Games" or "Ready to Install" or whatever.  You will see both of your accounts' digital purchases listed.

bread's done
Back