shenmue 2

cheapgamer11

CAGiversary!
i just got this game for about 10 bucks. i played the first one on my dreamcast when it came out and i was excited when tjhe second one came out. im just wondering if anyone has beaten this or is currently playing this because i need a little bit of help and i can't find any on the internet FAQ's and stuff like that. so just wondering...

thanks,

hM

The first one was pretty cool, but I didnt like how you rarely actually get to fight in the game. I liked collecting the toy things, do they have that in the second one? I hope there is no forklifts though.

[quote name='coolcps']The first one was pretty cool, but I didnt like how you rarely actually get to fight in the game. I liked collecting the toy things, do they have that in the second one? I hope there is no forklifts though.[/quote]

you can gamble to earn money, or work at the docks moving crates

Yeah, definitely an underrated, great game. Check out ign for FAQs.

Hopefully they'll come out with a follow up.

i like it a lot, and yeah you can still collect the little toys out of the machines. you can also arm wrestle to win money, it's tons of fun, i already figured out my little dillema and im now progressing again. my favorite part is still playing darts in the arcade,

thanks,

hM

I picked up a copy a while back for $14.99 at Coconuts. I haven't cracked the seal yet, but I'll get to it eventually. I think if you were a fan of the Dreamcast Shenmue, you'll like this game. That was my reason for purchasing it. Now only if someone will port Power Stone 2... I can only hope.

did anyone else besides me LOVE the first shenmue (one of my favorite dreamcast games) and find the second one disappointingly... uh, boring? i don't wanna say it was horrible, but man... it feels like this second one drags on waaaaaaaay too much. it doesn't help that i have the PAL version on DC, and have to put in a boot disc everytime i want to play.

too many errands to run in this damn game... "i can help you, but you have to get mr. so and so for me." "i'll go with you, but you have to buy a cat for me." "i'll give you this cat, if you run over to the bar and rub bob's feet." "i'll let you rub my feet if you go kick john in the nuts... and by the way, he's ALL the way across town."

the upside though is that there is a lot more fighting and a lot more qte moments.

Overall, I thought it was a quality sequel. The story is only half revealed, so they have to make the followup [fingers crossed].

Yeah, I'm hoping for a sequel as well. I agree with you kristianator about the second dragging...especially that long walking section at the end. But, for some reason it's one of the few game series that I forgive its flaws (the crate moving job, to name one).
I'm also the only person I know who really enjoyed the forklift job...I have no idea why I did...which is scary.

at this point, is nozomi pretty much completely out of the picture? i'm gonna have a nerdy gamer moment and say that i wish she didn't move to canada in the first game. i remember dreaming about her, like that guy did in the tv commercial for shenmue.

"who's nozomi???"

Small question: Since this comes with the DVD of the original Shenmue, in order to understand the story line do i need to play the Dreamcast Shenmue to understand Shenmue II? I hope not because i missed out on this gem back then... didn't have the money to get a dreamcast :(

I got the strat guide at Gamestop used for really cheap. I don't think it's rare. I really liked the first shenmue but I used a strat guide to help me along. I haven't had time to get that far in part 2. But I will eventually finish it.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I would play the first one before playing the second. Since a DC and the game are fairly cheap it is worth it.[/quote]

hmm... choices. Since i am doing summer college at the moment I think I'll have to watch the DVD before I play the game. I hate not having time, but hey, schools important.

i never got the chance to finish the first game, but i still have it even though i don't have a DC anymore... i dont know why. the fact that i didn't finish the first one makes the second more fun for me because i don't get the repetativeness (if that's a word...) of it that others do since they finished the first one.

thanks,

hM

[quote name='RelentlessRolento'][quote name='CaseyRyback']I would play the first one before playing the second. Since a DC and the game are fairly cheap it is worth it.[/quote]

hmm... choices. Since i am doing summer college at the moment I think I'll have to watch the DVD before I play the game. I hate not having time, but hey, schools important.[/quote]

I would put Shenmue on hold until you got a lot of time to devote.

I spent a whole week playing the first two

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='RelentlessRolento'][quote name='CaseyRyback']I would play the first one before playing the second. Since a DC and the game are fairly cheap it is worth it.[/quote]

hmm... choices. Since i am doing summer college at the moment I think I'll have to watch the DVD before I play the game. I hate not having time, but hey, schools important.[/quote]

I spent a whole week playing the first two[/quote]

A week for BOTH? Jesucristo, did you have time to sleep in there?

The second one is like THREE of the first! I just finished chapter 2 of Shenmue II, and I feel like I've played two complete games.

[quote name='WildWop'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='RelentlessRolento'][quote name='CaseyRyback']I would play the first one before playing the second. Since a DC and the game are fairly cheap it is worth it.[/quote]

I spent a whole week playing the first two[/quote]

A week for BOTH? Jesucristo, did you have time to sleep in there?

The second one is like THREE of the first! I just finished chapter 2 of Shenmue II, and I feel like I've played two complete games.[/quote]

I was addicted. It took me a weekend to beat the first( I spent the weekend at my sisters and they had work for most of the day, so nothing else to do), and then about mid-week I just took off from school and played II until I beat it. I played from about 10 in the morning until 12 at night that day.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='coolcps']The first one was pretty cool, but I didnt like how you rarely actually get to fight in the game. I liked collecting the toy things, do they have that in the second one? I hope there is no forklifts though.[/quote]

you can gamble to earn money, or work at the docks moving crates[/quote]

Crates that sit on... pallets... but you grab them and move them across the room to put on... other pallets. If ever I wished for a return to the forklift (which for me was oddly entertaining), this was it. Not to mention the "errraaagh" groaning of the guy who "helps" you move the crates. Irritating sound bytes anyone?

"We're going to move it, over there"

"We're working in perfect harmony!"

"No no no! Push it the number of times that I tell you!"

Earning money with those sound bytes made me want to kick dogs. Later you get to fight to make money, mini-game fashion, which is much better and more profitable.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Small question: Since this comes with the DVD of the original Shenmue, in order to understand the story line do i need to play the Dreamcast Shenmue to understand Shenmue II? I hope not because i missed out on this gem back then... didn't have the money to get a dreamcast :([/quote]

No, the reason you need to play Shenmue 1 is because it's a great game. Out of the 2 Idk which is better, sure the second had a lot more to it. But Shenmue 1 had a kind of charm in the fact that it was a small town where everyone seemed to know each other. It seemed like a little world in which only the people in it new about. I guess that's another way in which the second is cool, in that when you first start up it is intimidating by it's scope. As it would be if you had just left a small town and went into a big city.

Just some comments after reading you guys' posts:

In my opinion, Shenmue II is more "action-packed";

The long walk at the end of Shenmue II really gives you tons of storyline and character bios, keep on talking to her and you will learn alot about the game, not to mention the rocky cliffs and the forest are absolutely beautiful. (SPOILER: if you pick the right path, Ryo will almost get a kiss from her);

Shenmue II has the best ending ever, even though it's really not an ending. After spending so much time playing Shenmue and Shenmue II, that final scene in II makes me want to play Shenmue even more than ever;

Will there ever be a Shenmue III? Yu Suzuki never answers the question directly, but he gives you little hints here and there that there WILL be a part 3. Probably not this generation, probably on Xbox Next or PS3.

bread's done
Back