Shigurui: Death Frenzy $19.99 (Blu-ray) (Amazon.com)

I ended up grabbing this along with a ton of $9-10 movies I've wanted for a while. Excited to watch this brutal no-nonsense movie.

I had my eye on this for awhile too, glad I waited until I got a bluray player before picking it up! $20 seems like a good deal IMO.

Don't buy it if you're looking for an amazing story. Its pretty dumb and the "complete series" only deals with 1 of the 3 storylines they introduce in the first episode so it leaves you hanging big time. But if you're looking for some high def animated gore, this is where its at.

[quote name='Bezerker']Don't buy it if you're looking for an amazing story. Its pretty dumb and the "complete series" only deals with 1 of the 3 storylines they introduce in the first episode so it leaves you hanging big time. But if you're looking for some high def animated gore, this is where its at.[/QUOTE]
Really?? Where are the other 2 storylines found? This would upset me a bit.

[quote name='Bezerker']Don't buy it if you're looking for an amazing story. Its pretty dumb and the "complete series" only deals with 1 of the 3 storylines they introduce in the first episode so it leaves you hanging big time. But if you're looking for some high def animated gore, this is where its at.[/QUOTE]
I completely disagree with this statement. I would like to note that this is one of the most highly disagreed upon anime that I've had experience with. That said, I LOVED it.

This is not your typical "pop" anime. It takes a very different artistic approach, both visual and presentation wise. There are many virtues to this series that tend to be masked by opaque layers that not many people can look past, but they are there.

If you're the type of person that loves Tarantino films for the subtle things, the copious amounts of character defining information hidden within the mountain of dialogue, the deep and almost methodical analogies stored in seemingly awkward and almost pointless scenes, then you will be at home.

But if you're the type that just likes the violence and the perverse/racist jokes, then you'll probably be disappointed.

The story is there, it is just a very different story than what most things present, and it is woven deep within the fabric. Do not expect a story of protagonist vs antagonist, good vs evil. Expect a story of men, of who they were, not what they did.

LucerinRed:
Fantastic post. You have made me more excited to watch this than anything else I've read. You have described exactly the type of animated film I was hoping for. Can you comment on Berzerker's note regarding the possible incompleteness of the set? I believe you might have answered this with your comments regarding story (which is worthy of being quoted on the box, in my opinion)

Getting back to the "mature" aspect of the show, I want to make it abundantly clear that this show contains elements that make even Ninja Scroll look tame. There are multiple decapitations, abdominal guttings, moments of cannibalism and depictions of women being treated in ways that will make your stomach churn (including rape and incest). I'm honestly not sure I'll be choosing to revisit this show again in the future for that precise reason, and I think it's completely appropriate to warn potential viewers that this show takes violence to new blood-drenched extremes. I'm never one to shy away from blood-letting in anime and there's nothing wrong with showing the wounds that result from a swordfight, but I simply didn't see the point in several of the more disgusting scenes within the series (some of which are too offensive to discuss within this review).

blu-ray.com

the only thing outta that series that was a total shock and made me feel uncomfortable [customspoiler=spoiler]was the guy giving himself a blowjob[/customspoiler]

the ending does leave you hangin though

[quote name='Sokvichet']LucerinRed:
Can you comment on Berzerker's note regarding the possible incompleteness of the set? [/QUOTE]

Its not so much an incompleteness of the set as an incompleteness of the series. The series only covers the first 6.5 volumes of a 13+ volume manga. The first episode basically starts in the future with a battle between two samurai. One is blind and the other is missing an arm. The story of the series only covers the history of the blind man and never goes into what happens to the one armed guy or the outcome of their fight.

Granted, there have been previous series that never have a true ending, but it seems like a bad move to do it the way they did.

I tend to agree more with LucerinRed on this particular title. Wish I would have waited to buy it though since that is a very nice price point.

bread's done
Back