Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey $14.99 New, $12.99 Used

Well I finally went and got a copy at my Gamestop today. That store is a mess though, by which I mean they don't alphabetize their games. I couldn't find the game on the shelf, so I asked about it, and they had one last new copy behind the counter. It's in great shape and included everything it was supposed to, so it all worked out.

My favorite game of 2010 and my favorite DS game of all time. No lie.

You will not hear a better orchestral score on the DS. Period.

[quote name='Svengoolie']Hmm.... I would totally buy it, if I bought DS games.[/QUOTE]

Oh, snap. No you didn't go there! Oh yes you did.

[quote name='salty tbone']Oh, snap. No you didn't go there! Oh yes you did.[/QUOTE]

Let's just assume he/she don't own a Nintendo DS for the sake of no argument.

I bough the last copy at one of the Gamestop near by after the first I went to did not have any available. I saw Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Rings of Fate used with the case condition practically brand new and went ahead and bough that for 12.99. Thanks OP, and thanks to you guys posting who convinced me to buy it. I will play it in a couple weeks from now once I catch up to my huge backlog.

I am a fan of the series but I thought this game sucked. Almost no story to speak of, and the few characters it has are stupid tropes that you can instantly predict their story arcs. The demon fusion isn't nearly as fun as in Persona because they inherit less skills, meaning you lose too much of the demons you're fusing. In P3/P4, you can usually fuse two great demons and make an amazing one, whereas here you'll often end up with one no better or sometimes even worse than the ones you fused. The SMT gameplay just isn't very well geared to a straight up plotless dungeon crawler because the most important part of dungeon crawling is loot and character/class advancement. Obviously loot is a low priority in SMT and you just trade your party members in rather than advancing them. Oh, and the last boss is extremely cheap. The game is very easy overall and series vets will steamroll through, but then the last boss requires an extremely specific demon makeup that you probably won't have and will need to grind 5-10 hours to get. I said screw it and watched the ending on youtube since the game wasn't good enough to be worth it.

For a better experience centered around the SMT mechanics, go with P2, P3, P4. For a better dungeon crawler built on the same engine, get The Dark Spire.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']I am a fan of the series but I thought this game sucked. Almost no story to speak of, and the few characters it has are stupid tropes that you can instantly predict their story arcs. The demon fusion isn't nearly as fun as in Persona because they inherit less skills, meaning you lose too much of the demons you're fusing. In P3/P4, you can usually fuse two great demons and make an amazing one, whereas here you'll often end up with one no better or sometimes even worse than the ones you fused. The SMT gameplay just isn't very well geared to a straight up plotless dungeon crawler because the most important part of dungeon crawling is loot and character/class advancement. Obviously loot is a low priority in SMT and you just trade your party members in rather than advancing them. Oh, and the last boss is extremely cheap. The game is very easy overall and series vets will steamroll through, but then the last boss requires an extremely specific demon makeup that you probably won't have and will need to grind 5-10 hours to get. I said screw it and watched the ending on youtube since the game wasn't good enough to be worth it.

For a better experience centered around the SMT mechanics, go with P2, P3, P4. For a better dungeon crawler built on the same engine, get The Dark Spire.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like your a fan of the PERSONA SMT series. Regular SMT games are more old school.

[quote name='Adamu Kuezada']Sounds like your a fan of the PERSONA SMT series. Regular SMT games are more old school.[/QUOTE]

Nocturne, Devil Survivor, Devil Summoner, DDS were all fine.

SMT: Dark Spire Edition is way less compelling than the other games in the series because it feels like a cheaply made cash cow rather than a real game. The engine and game mechanics were both preexisting so they just slapped them together, made some new sprites, and called it a game. The other games in the series all bring new content and add a twist to the mechanics.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']Nocturne, Devil Survivor, Devil Summoner, DDS were all fine.

SMT: Dark Spire Edition is way less compelling than the other games in the series because it feels like a cheaply made cash cow rather than a real game. The engine and game mechanics were both preexisting so they just slapped them together, made some new sprites, and called it a game. The other games in the series all bring new content and add a twist to the mechanics.[/QUOTE]

Why do you keep mentioning Dark Spire? This games uses the Etrian Odyssey engine.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']Nocturne, Devil Survivor, Devil Summoner, DDS were all fine.

SMT: Dark Spire Edition is way less compelling than the other games in the series because it feels like a cheaply made cash cow rather than a real game. The engine and game mechanics were both preexisting so they just slapped them together, made some new sprites, and called it a game. The other games in the series all bring new content and add a twist to the mechanics.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry sir, there is no such thing as Shin Megami Tensei: Dark Spire Edition.

Just because Atlus published The Dark Spire as well, doesn't mean it's part of the Shin Megami Tensei series.

The only thing that even has the Dark in the title for an SMT series game is DemiKids, and that's a far stretch, and it's on GBA.

So not sure exactly what you are smoking, but get off it.

[quote name='Squarehard']I'm sorry sir, there is no such thing as Shin Megami Tensei: Dark Spire Edition.

Just because Atlus published The Dark Spire as well, doesn't mean it's part of the Shin Megami Tensei series.

The only thing that even has the Dark in the title for an SMT series game is DemiKids, and that's a far stretch, and it's on GBA.

So not sure exactly what you are smoking, but get off it.[/QUOTE]

Did you really just write a drawn out post attempting to correct a sarcastic characterization of a crappy game because your reading comprehension is so poor that you took it to mean I thought Dark Spire was a SMT game?

[quote name='biledriver']Why do you keep mentioning Dark Spire? This games uses the Etrian Odyssey engine.[/QUOTE]

It uses the Dark Spire engine, which is a slightly modified version of the EO engine.

Yes all those games have new mechanics because they're different series aside from Nocturne. SMT isn't even the series that started it all. It was Megami Tensei. Wikipedia is your friend(most of the time).

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']I am a fan of the series but I thought this game sucked. Almost no story to speak of, and the few characters it has are stupid tropes that you can instantly predict their story arcs. The demon fusion isn't nearly as fun as in Persona because they inherit less skills, meaning you lose too much of the demons you're fusing. In P3/P4, you can usually fuse two great demons and make an amazing one, whereas here you'll often end up with one no better or sometimes even worse than the ones you fused. The SMT gameplay just isn't very well geared to a straight up plotless dungeon crawler because the most important part of dungeon crawling is loot and character/class advancement. Obviously loot is a low priority in SMT and you just trade your party members in rather than advancing them. Oh, and the last boss is extremely cheap. The game is very easy overall and series vets will steamroll through, but then the last boss requires an extremely specific demon makeup that you probably won't have and will need to grind 5-10 hours to get. I said screw it and watched the ending on youtube since the game wasn't good enough to be worth it.

For a better experience centered around the SMT mechanics, go with P2, P3, P4. For a better dungeon crawler built on the same engine, get The Dark Spire.[/QUOTE]

If this thread is about a deal to a game with a fanbase, why must you post ANYTHING PAST what is bolded in the quote?

The OP put it up. Fans will appreciate the drop in price (me) and Nonfans will skip to the next thread.

I did not read anywhere that your negative opinion was ever welcomed. I mean...You can TROLL all you want. But dont you value your own time and life a little more than that?

This isnt a gathering of people that care about your opinion. This is a gathering of people that have something SIGNIFICANT to say about a 14.99 new/12.99 used game

So please....Contribute or GTFO

All he/she said was "For a better dungeon crawler built on the same engine, get The Dark Spire."

Meaning that he/she considers The Dark Spire to be a better game built in the same engined used to make Strange Journey. You guys all grumpy over nothing. I'm surprised people opinion are not welcomed to some of you if its negative. Considering I base most of my purchase on opinions, some negative objective opinion are quite welcome on top of all the positive ones.

He/She obviously played the game. People need to relax, is just an opinion. I will form one myself once I play it, for now I enjoy hearing everyone else. I did buy this game base on this thread and people opinion about it, not just the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='fyrtoes']If this thread is about a deal to a game with a fanbase, why must you post ANYTHING PAST what is bolded in the quote?

This isnt a gathering of people that care about your opinion. This is a gathering of people that have something SIGNIFICANT to say about a 14.99 new/12.99 used game

So please....Contribute or GTFO[/QUOTE]

Yeah, much better to just bash a game and say it sucks with no justification than to provide a detailed explanation of its deficiencies so people can make their own decisions. Sounds like you just want to QQ about legitimate criticisms of the game that can be used to make better purchasing decisions. At any rate, I'd imagine nonfans of the series will get more out of this game because it will be new to them and they haven't experienced the core SMT mechanics many times over. As a fan though, I've already played many SMT games that do everything this game does and do it better. It's amusing that you're so vehement in your defense of a game that you (apparantly) don't own and that I've logged 60 mostly boring hours into. So please, feel free to enlighten us with your SIGNIFICANT thoughts on a game you don't know very much about.

only found gutted copies at Gamestop. found one at Best Buy - worse deal ($20), but acceptable since I was looking for a sealed one.

[quote name='UltraMysteryDopplega']It uses the Dark Spire engine, which is a slightly modified version of the EO engine.[/QUOTE]

What? I don't think that's true. The Dark Spire wasn't even made by Atlus, it was only published by them in the US. Now, if you were calling it SMT: Etrian Odyssey edition...well, that makes more sense, but you do realize the series started off as a first person dungeon crawler, right?

Does any one of the new copies come with the box/CD at least? I know the CD is borked though.

[quote name='salty tbone']Oh, snap. No you didn't go there! Oh yes you did.[/QUOTE]

Yes I did, brother! And now I have the game. :bouncy:

[quote name='discoalucard']Does any one of the new copies come with the box/CD at least? I know the CD is borked though.[/QUOTE]

They should. My Gamestops usually put out the outer box, so worst case scenario should be you get a tattered box with the game and CD. How is the CD borked? I bought my copy used awhile ago during a B2G1, but was considering buying it again if I can find a sealed copy.

[quote name='bruceg']only found gutted copies at Gamestop. found one at Best Buy - worse deal ($20), but acceptable since I was looking for a sealed one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I basically broke down and grabbed the last copy from my BB yesterday for 20. I couldn't find any at the local Gamestops.

I'm curious to hear more about this borked CD stuff.

In the Gamestop I got the last copy from the outer case was in the display and the game case (the one who hold the game and manual) was sealed and tied with a rubberband to the soundtrack CD. I don't think the outer case is that important but that feeling vary between people.

This is what he/she means:

[quote name='Otty Ott']
Note on the soundtrack. The first printing of Strange Journey had a soundtrack CD that didn't work on CD players. The files were in the wrong format. They later fixed it. They shipped all of us replacements that asked for them. I guess there still could be some bad discs out there now, too.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Very Unclever']Yeah I basically broke down and grabbed the last copy from my BB yesterday for 20. I couldn't find any at the local Gamestops.

I'm curious to hear more about this borked CD stuff.[/QUOTE]

A large batch of SMT: Strange Journey soundtrack came out defective due to manufacturing process. In order to get a new one you have to submit a replacement cd through Atlus. Too bad a lot of people abuse Atlus generosity with their non strict replacement policy(you don't need to send a receipt or defective cd), which resulted in more cd sent than amount of games actually sold. Your chances of getting a replacement cd now are slim to none due to greedy people.

For more information clink on link below.
http://www.atlus.com/forum/showthread.php?p=185997
http://www.atlus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6809

[quote name='fatbeer']A large batch of SMT: Strange Journey soundtrack came out defective due to manufacturing process. In order to get a new one you have to submit a replacement cd through Atlus. Too bad a lot of people abuse Atlus generosity with their non strict replacement policy(you don't need to send a receipt or defective cd), which resulted in more cd sent than amount of games actually sold. Your chances of getting a replacement cd now are slim to none due to greedy people.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info fatbeer. I just bought my new copy at GameStop today and my soundtrack only runs as a data disc, not a music CD. I'm sad that I can't get a replacement! :cry:

Ahh I was wondering why it popped up as .wav files when I put it in the computer. No big deal. Just convert the .wavs to MP3 and add em to the ol' iPod.

found 3 at local mall gamestop. all 3 have open display boxes but sealed game cases and cds. i picked up 1, popped the cd in stereo cd player and the cd works. i am sooooo happy.

[quote name='technicalstylez']found 3 at local mall gamestop. all 3 have open display boxes but sealed game cases and cds. i picked up 1, popped the cd in stereo cd player and the cd works. i am sooooo happy.[/QUOTE]

Wow, people must not visit that Gamestop very often

Or at least no CAGs :D

if u took the time to read the posts above mine, u would understand that many of the soundtrack cds released by atlus were data discs and unplayable in stereo cd players. im happy that mine works- if i just wanted to burn the files to a cd i would just download the soundtrack as opposed to buying it... instead of being sarcastic u should try taking the time to read more than the last post of a thread.

What are you even talking about?

I was commenting on how amazing it is that there were 3 copies all in one store that you were able to find, and that probably no other CAGs shop there, which is why the copies were still there.

Maybe you should just take things for what they are worth instead of being so defensive about it, and you should probably take the time to read more into my post than just jumping to conclusion as I had done earlier in this thread. :p

I was able to pick up a copy at my local Gamestop with the soundtrack. Thanks for the heads up OP I love Shin Megami games.

my bad. its hard to tell when people r being sarcastic or not.. i live in an area where there are alot of CAG'ers actually...i guess they most likely arent interested in the game

[quote name='technicalstylez']my bad. its hard to tell when people r being sarcastic or not.. i live in an area where there are alot of CAG'ers actually...i guess they most likely arent interested in the game[/QUOTE]

no worries.

but i think that's even more amazing with all those CAGs in your area, and so many complete copies still XD

For $15 this is a no-brainier. One of the best, most intriguing games I've played. It's extremely hardcore though, so is not for the weak haha.

The game gave me like 60 hours of pure raw strategic RPG gameplay.

[quote name='Sir Daniel Fortesque']For $15 this is a no-brainier. One of the best, most intriguing games I've played. It's extremely hardcore though, so is not for the weak haha.

The game gave me like 60 hours of pure raw strategic RPG gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Is this better then final fantasy 13? Would u consider this the best RPG?

I don't think they are similar titles, but in terms of pure RPG gameplay, definitely. Strange Journey is a hardcore RPG with a lot of strategy and depth. The storyline and atmosphere are incredible, and the music -- surprisingly -- was chill inducing. If you are into games with mature storylines, this is definitely the type of game for you. I found the themes that this game dealt with to be pretty thought provoking, and something unusual (other that for the SMT series) thing to see in games.

Of the SMT for DS, I still think I like Devil Survivor more, but Strange Journey is definitely a RPG everyone who's a fan of the genre should check out. It's easily one of the top RPG's in recent times I'd dare to say.

[quote name='Sir Daniel Fortesque']I don't think they are similar titles, but in terms of pure RPG gameplay, definitely. Strange Journey is a hardcore RPG with a lot of strategy and depth. The storyline and atmosphere are incredible, and the music -- surprisingly -- was chill inducing. If you are into games with mature storylines, this is definitely the type of game for you. I found the themes that this game dealt with to be pretty thought provoking, and something unusual (other that for the SMT series) thing to see in games.

Of the SMT for DS, I still think I like Devil Survivor more, but Strange Journey is definitely a RPG everyone who's a fan of the genre should check out. It's easily one of the top RPG's in recent times I'd dare to say.[/QUOTE]

Never heard of the series (had a xbox, skip PS2 Gen)
A friend gave a PS2.Was thinking of getting a RPG.

[quote name='The Punisher']Never heard of the series (had a xbox, skip PS2 Gen)[/QUOTE]

That's probably why, since RPGs were a rarity on Xbox compared to PS2.

[quote name='Squarehard']That's probably why, since RPGs were a rarity on Xbox compared to PS2.[/QUOTE]

Looking at the series on PS2 and not sure. What is a good one u recommend?
Is Devil Summoner 2 any good? Which one u like better? (Will get DS)

I would recommend maybe going with P3 or P4.

Devil Summoner and Digital Devil Saga may be a bit harder for you to just jump right into if you're not familiar with the SMT series, but if you had to choose between those two, I would say Devil Summoner, but start with the first one.

And also, on the DS, there is also SMT: Devil Survivor if you were interested.

[quote name='Squarehard']I would recommend maybe going with P3 or P4.

Devil Summoner and Digital Devil Saga may be a bit harder for you to just jump right into if you're not familiar with the SMT series, but if you had to choose between those two, I would say Devil Summoner, but start with the first one.

And also, on the DS, there is also SMT: Devil Survivor if you were interested.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. Gameranking P4 has the highest reviews. I will pick that up.

Persona and Devil Summoner have very different storylines. In P3 and P4 you are playing as a high school kid along with a group of other students who have the ability to go somewhere hidden from the rest of the world. The gameplay is you going through a dungeon and fighting turn-based combat with demons you can summon. Outside the dungeons you talk with fellow students to build Social Links to open more demon fusions.

In Devil Summoner, you play as a detective able to talk to and capture demons. You work for a detective firm and go out to solve a mystery brought to you. The combat primarily happens in the city you are in rather than dungeons. The battles are more of an action-y thing where you summon a demon that fights by your side in the battle.

SMT: Persona 4 is my favorite one out of all the SMT. The true ending is very satisfying if you take the journey and actually complete the game. The gameplay is fun, the story is great. If I had to recommend the top three RPG for PS2 it would be Final Fantasy X, Dragon Quest VIII, and Persona 4. Although my all time favorite RPG is Final Fantasy XII, I can acknowledge that a lot of people do not feel the same way.

I have Strange Journey but haven't open it yet, but at this price is a no brainer if you have a DS and into RPG.

Out of the SMT main series, Strange Journey is probably my favorite (Although it still can't compare to the sheer awesomeness that was Digital Devil Saga/Avatar Tuner 1&2)

Stopped at a nearby Gamestop and picked up their only new copy of Strange Journey. It was one of the gutted cases, sitting on the racks of DS titles. I just figured it was a spacer and took it up, thinking maybe they kept the full package in the drawers.

The girl at the register took a while to thumb through the DS titles, and finally grabbed the cart, handing it and the case to me. Kinda surprised (and admittedly expecting more after this thread) I mentioned that it should come with a soundtrack CD, and if there was one in there. She just stared at me blankly and said "no, that's it." Looks like another typical Gamestop case of some worker pocketing extras and selling a less than complete product.

I'm not going to object to $15 for an excellent game in (admittedly gutted) new condition, but ffs Gamestop. When stores live up to the crappy reputation, it really isn't helping the opinion customers have of the chain. I guess this is why I don't shop there anymore except for once in a blue moon. (Deals such as this thread)

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']Stopped at a nearby Gamestop and picked up their only new copy of Strange Journey. It was one of the gutted cases, sitting on the racks of DS titles. I just figured it was a spacer and took it up, thinking maybe they kept the full package in the drawers.

The girl at the register took a while to thumb through the DS titles, and finally grabbed the cart, handing it and the case to me. Kinda surprised (and admittedly expecting more after this thread) I mentioned that it should come with a soundtrack CD, and if there was one in there. She just stared at me blankly and said "no, that's it." Looks like another typical Gamestop case of some worker pocketing extras and selling a less than complete product.

I'm not going to object to $15 for an excellent game in (admittedly gutted) new condition, but ffs Gamestop. When stores live up to the crappy reputation, it really isn't helping the opinion customers have of the chain. I guess this is why I don't shop there anymore except for once in a blue moon. (Deals such as this thread)[/QUOTE]

I don't even look on the racks for games there anymore. I just ask if they have a sealed copy of the game I'm looking for and if they don't I leave. I hate paying their new price for gutted copies of games.

[quote name='xspeedracerx']I don't even look on the racks for games there anymore. I just ask if they have a sealed copy of the game I'm looking for and if they don't I leave. I hate paying their new price for gutted copies of games.[/QUOTE]

This.

I refuse to buy Gamestop's gutted "new" games, and always explain to employees that a game which is opened but "never played and just kept behind the desk" does NOT mean it's brand new. Most of the time they either stare at me blankly or make some snide comment, surprise surprise.

bread's done
Back