Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Complete w/Soundtrack for $20 Used at Gamestop

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
I've been to 3 of the 4 Gamestops in my area, and they have all received shipment from the warehouse of Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey that comes complete with everything, including the outer box and soundtrack for $20 used.

I asked a couple managers about it and they said they pretty much shipped these out to a ton of stores from the warehouse that are complete with everything, so for those of you who were looking for one that comes complete with everything for around $20, here's a chance to find it.

Can't guarantee if online ones will come this way (probably not), but here's the link for the updated price and check if stores in your area has some.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=76262

Thanks, OP! I walked into one store near me and found a complete, minty copy. $18 after the Edge discount. :cool:

And before any of the "gutted games1!OHNOEES1!!" drama queens ask, yes, it was opened and the game itself taken out. I don't care. It's still minty and new despite the fact that oxygen touched it. :roll:

[quote name='Zippon']And before any of the "gutted games1!OHNOEES1!!" drama queens ask, yes, it was opened and the game itself taken out. I don't care. It's still minty and new despite the fact that oxygen touched it. :roll:[/QUOTE]
They aren't making an attempt selling them as new, good at least.

[quote name='discordman']I got one as well, the game was still sealed. :D[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's nice. Was it actually sealed or the GS resealing?

i got this about a week after it came out after renting it off gamefly.

I loved the game when i rented it but probally only put 3 hours in it after owning it

thinking Why did i buy this game

though it will stay in my collection so when i need a rpg game i have something to play

Playing this right now and loving every minute. Even feeling good about paying full price and supporting our beloved Atlus instead of Gamestop.

LOL at those still making noise about it being "new" or not and whether the seal is factory or Gamestop. Unless you want to resell it or put it in a shrine, it's all nonsense. Case: mint. Manual: mint. Game: mint. Seal? Broken. OHNOES!!1ISYOOOZED!!1111

I guess a lot of CAGs are too young to remember the world before everything was shrinkwrapped.

I imagine these guys complaining that a painting is "used" because it's been looked at before. LOL

Nice. Considering buying one, but already bought one at the same price from Fry's a month ago... But like ds, I love to support Atlus.

[quote name='Zippon']LOL at those still making noise about it being "new" or not and whether the seal is factory or Gamestop. Unless you want to resell it or put it in a shrine, it's all nonsense. Case: mint. Manual: mint. Game: mint. Seal? Broken. OHNOES!!1ISYOOOZED!!1111

I guess a lot of CAGs are too young to remember the world before everything was shrinkwrapped.

I imagine these guys complaining that a painting is "used" because it's been looked at before. LOL[/QUOTE]

Well, in my past experience with Gamestop, gutted new game discs have been scratched from being in flimsy paper disc sleeves cramped together against other discs in overcrowded drawers behind the counter; manuals have been taken out and abused a bit by customers/associates; and cases and spine art have been slapped with stickers that are a pain to get off (even with goo gone, because cover art tears easily); and cases themselves have a good degree of shelf wear (especially soft, outer cardboard DS cases like this, which tend to get dented easily). The most important thing for me, though, is disc condition, and I can say that I've gotten my fair share of scratched new/gutted games from Gamestop.

Just sayin'. Shouldn't fault people for wanting their games in pristine condition. If Gamestop took better care of their games, it would be a non-issue. But I haven't shopped there in a while, so I don't know if they've improved. From my experience, though, gutted games can look used and abused.

[quote name='Zippon']LOL at those still making noise about it being "new" or not and whether the seal is factory or Gamestop. Unless you want to resell it or put it in a shrine, it's all nonsense. Case: mint. Manual: mint. Game: mint. Seal? Broken. OHNOES!!1ISYOOOZED!!1111

I imagine these guys complaining that a painting is "used" because it's been looked at before. LOL[/QUOTE]
Why troll?
I remember buying Atari 2600 and 5200 games...and they were shrink-wrapped. So what was your point again? Oh you didn't have one? I see.

[quote name='Squarehard']Wow, that's nice. Was it actually sealed or the GS resealing?[/QUOTE]

The box was outer box was open, but everything inside was sealed, I wouldn't have cared if it were cart only, this is still quite a deal.

[quote name='discordman']The box was outer box was open, but everything inside was sealed, I wouldn't have cared if it were cart only, this is still quite a deal.[/QUOTE]

I just picked this up today and had the same experience. Good deal on this game, I'm excited to get into it; I haven't scratched my RPG itch just yet, even after playing Dragon Quest IX. Thanks for the heads up, OP!

[quote name='Maromi']
Just sayin'. Shouldn't fault people for wanting their games in pristine condition. If Gamestop took better care of their games, it would be a non-issue. But I haven't shopped there in a while, so I don't know if they've improved. From my experience, though, gutted games can look used and abused.[/QUOTE]

I understand your point, but since this is a DS cart, disc condition is a non-issue. :)

In fact, I'd say a full 95% or more of the noise surrounding "gutted" games has nothing to do with condition of any of the contents. It's all about some metaphysical state of "newness" that is somehow tied in to the presence of original shrink wrap or not. It has nothing to do with the presentation or playability of the item.

I've never in my life been handed a new game at GS that had any damage. If it did (creased manual, dented case, scratched disc), I'm certain all it would take is one request and they'd replace the item in question with a better one. Unless you are talking about the last one in the store.

Vader,
If you're really old enough to remember those games when they first came out, then you'd know that not a single kid ever complained about lack of shrinkwrap on something that was obviously new. If they did, their parents would smack then in the head for being stupid. Perhaps if parents still did that, common sense wouldn't be in such short supply. :whistle2:k

[quote name='Zippon']I understand your point, but since this is a DS cart, disc condition is a non-issue. :)

In fact, I'd say a full 95% or more of the noise surrounding "gutted" games has nothing to do with condition of any of the contents. It's all about some metaphysical state of "newness" that is somehow tied in to the presence of original shrink wrap or not. It has nothing to do with the presentation or playability of the item.

I've never in my life been handed a new game at GS that had any damage. If it did (creased manual, dented case, scratched disc), I'm certain all it would take is one request and they'd replace the item in question with a better one. Unless you are talking about the last one in the store.

Vader,
If you're really old enough to remember those games when they first came out, then you'd know that not a single kid ever complained about lack of shrinkwrap on something that was obviously new. If they did, their parents would smack then in the head for being stupid. Perhaps if parents still did that, common sense wouldn't be in such short supply. :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

I say this with no respect due: you're a moron.

If people insist on having something shrinkwrapped, what's it to you? Just because you're willing to accept a lesser state of "newness" doesn't mean everyone else has to.

[quote name='Zippon']In fact, I'd say a full 95% or more of the noise surrounding "gutted" games has nothing to do with condition of any of the contents. It's all about some metaphysical state of "newness" that is somehow tied in to the presence of original shrink wrap or not. It has nothing to do with the presentation or playability of the item.[/QUOTE]

95%? I don't know, man; I disagree. I'm not interested in the freaking symbolic properties of shrink wrap, and I doubt that many people are; many just want new games to be in new (i.e. shrink wrap, i.e not touched/used by someone else's hands) condition. I'm pretty sure you pulled that comment/stat out of nowhere for no reason.

In regards to this:

[quote name='Zippon']If you're really old enough to remember those games when they first came out, then you'd know that not a single kid ever complained about lack of shrinkwrap on something that was obviously new. If they did, their parents would smack then in the head for being stupid. Perhaps if parents still did that, common sense wouldn't be in such short supply. :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Well, that's a silly point to make. When I was a kid, I threw my games around like they were worthless, threw away cases and manuals, scratched them into oblivion until they were unplayable, etc.. I'd like to think that Vader cares a little bit more about his games than he did when he was a kid playing Atari. Sure, when you're a kid, you might not give a shit about shrinkwrap, but you also don't give a shit about a lot of things when you're a kid, like making sure your stuff is and stays in new shape so it doesn't break in 2 years. Moreover, in my experience as a retail associate, parents really do care about shrink wrapped new games--I don't know how many customers at the store I worked at wanted a discount on a new gutted game because it wasn't sealed. Or just didn't buy the game at all. Parents, from my experience, like things to be brand new and shrink wrapped. So I'm not getting that point either.

Regardless of these posts' complaining about comments that haven't even been posted in this thread in the first place, the game is being advertised as used, so it's a non-issue for me. I just don't appreciate users calling out other users who never said a thing to begin with. It really is just trolling.

To get back on topic: thanks, OP. :)

[quote name='Maromi']the game is being advertised as used, so it's a non-issue[/QUOTE]
Pretty much all that needed to be said, again.

I honestly think these complainers just wanted attention.

Excellent game! I'm about 60 hours in and still have a ways to go to finish it. Very interesting, and different, storyline.

just left a gamestop trying to purchase this. the guy said they threw out the cardboard cover and soundtrack cd -- so i passed.

[quote name='daminion']just left a gamestop trying to purchase this. the guy said they threw out the cardboard cover and soundtrack cd -- so i passed.[/QUOTE]

yeah this annoying trend. I passed on Phoenix Wright 3 last week because they tossed the case, but I did find an Apollo Justice case they forgot to trash.

I wonder if the soundtrack CDs are functional or not anyway. The first batch, mine included, were burned in the wrong format. I had to send away for a replacement...

From what i discussed with an employee it varies. She put it out with the cardboard box because they would otherwise fold it up behind the counter

All my Gamestops were instructed to throw away all DS cases/manuals and have put the DS cards in the old GBA cases. I asked the employee why and they said it came from higher up. I chuckled and told him "well, I guess I'll go elsewhere for used DS games."

[quote name='Optical']All my Gamestops were instructed to throw away all DS cases/manuals and have put the DS cards in the old GBA cases. I asked the employee why and they said it came from higher up. I chuckled and told him "well, I guess I'll go elsewhere for used DS games."[/QUOTE]

That's amazingly stupid of them. I don't think any Gamestop I have been to in California, and not just the ones in my area, all over California does this practice, and I certainly hope to god they never will. I don't quite understand what you mean by GBA cases since GBA games never came with a case outside of the cardboard box it came in that had the cover on it or the inside cardboard that can't even hold a DS cart. So I am a little confused as what you are referring to since it doesn't seem to make any sense what so ever. I'd be surprised they even still have old GBA cases since Gamestops actually are supposed to toss those out if they had any, but that's from many years ago.

[quote name='animalspinners']How are you guys finding this on the shelf? Outer cardboard box or just the game case?[/QUOTE]

All of the ones in my area are in the box with the soundtrack inside with it. So it's probably YMMV anyways, since some stores actually just put out the normal DS case and then stores the cardboard box with soundtrack in the drawers, and then some just toss them out altogether from what's being reported, so very YMMV.

I picked up a copy with a box and CD today. I've already got the game (just got to the third zone), but I know someone who'd love it, so thanks for the heads up. Under $20 with Edge is a steal.

[quote name='daminion']just left a gamestop trying to purchase this. the guy said they threw out the cardboard cover and soundtrack cd -- so i passed.[/QUOTE]

A couple of stores aorund here did the same thing... as well as opened the game. I only found ONE store smart enough to keep everything in tact and display the cardboard box. How hard is it to not throw shit away?

@Square - He was talking about the display that GBA games are put into. Not the actual cardboard cases. Speaking of the cardboard cases, I have only found one gamestop ever with a complete GBA game. Tactics Ogre, it was :).

[quote name='DarkRider23']
@Square - He was talking about the display that GBA games are put into. Not the actual cardboard cases. Speaking of the cardboard cases, I have only found one gamestop ever with a complete GBA game. Tactics Ogre, it was :).[/QUOTE]

That I can see, but still I think that's just a terrible idea.

I know Gamecrazy did that, and I hated it. But they out of business, so doesn't matter to me what they do now.

[quote name='Squarehard']I don't quite understand what you mean by GBA cases since GBA games never came with a case outside of the cardboard box it came in that had the cover on it or the inside cardboard that can't even hold a DS cart.
[/QUOTE]
I didn't mean a box for the GBA games, I meant they have this roller-case with a lock on it that they put the GBA games in face up. They now got another and threw all the now boxless DS games in them.

Its a load of crap.. guess I'll have to go to Hastings or some other store that isn't stupid and is throwing away game boxes.

I found a complete copy at my local GameStop. I was on display with everything minus the cart of course. I opened the cardboard box to make sure everything was there. Sure enough the game case and cd were inside the cardboard box.

Most of the Gamestops near me were told to ditch used DS game cases/manuals per corporate memo. Apparently they were concerned about how much space they were taking up in the store. Because DS cases are so huge, you know :roll:

Gamestop continues to take a dump in the face of collectors or anyone who wants a complete gaming experience.

Back on topic, great deal for a complete copy of this game, if you are so lucky to find one.

bread's done
Back